Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Sure it wouldn't last long but that ^ picture needs to go on the model thread!

Just back from snowy schools cross country, v unexpected snow here. Bit melty now but good to see.

Posted

Dreich and wet here currently  2.6c.        Snow level about 200m round here.

Posted

@scottishandy a random picture of a squirrel is about all I'd be good for posting in the model thread. That place is bat sh*t crazy though so it could well go unnoticed :pardon:

A bit drippy here now, 0.6c and a lull in the showers 

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It would appear that there is some excitement brewing and not just in Auld Scotia! I shall, off course,retain my remarkable sang froid regarding the possibility of work white stuff falling from the sky. It's sunny here noo, the sun having returned to these parts after a long holiday which started in November. A very pleasant day indeed, if a wee bit oan the cauld side. :cold:

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Unrelentingly wet, cool and breezy all day, and now it's pretty much dark already.

Posted

My local Met Office forecast is less than encouraging for snow towards the weekend mentioning simply "Often cloudy through the coming days with patchy light rain, sleet and snow.'  The 850's look very good (for a while at least Thurs into Fri) but I've yet to see a forecast or chart that suggests there will be much PPN around. A cloudy, pish easterly would just about sum up this winter IMBY. 

17021000_0712.gif

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, 101_North said:

My local Met Office forecast is less than encouraging for snow towards the weekend mentioning simply "Often cloudy through the coming days with patchy light rain, sleet and snow.'  The 850's look very good (for a while at least) but I've yet to see a forecast or chart that suggests there will be much PPN around. A cloudy, pish easterly would just about sum up this winter IMBY. 

Funnily enough I was just about to say that the GFS (for once) isn't backing away from the sub -10c 850s it's shown for half of Thursday and all of Friday for a few days now. The -10c figure was the one you and I agreed on for a decent chance of snow in coastal areas in an easterly (though it's not as simple as that obviously!). But there isn't much to indicate more than a few light flurries, I agree. I very much hope Edo is right and we are wrong! :D

Edit: of course I've had my snow quota for the decade. Wanting more is just greed.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Hawesy said:

Funnily enough I was just about to say that the GFS (for once) isn't backing away from the sub -10c 850s it's shown for half of Thursday and all of Friday for a few days now. The -10c figure was the one you and I agreed on for a decent chance of snow in coastal areas in an easterly (though it's not as simple as that obviously!). But there isn't much to indicate more than a few light flurries, I agree. I very much hope Edo is right and we are wrong! :D

If Edo's right I will fight my way to Luncarty through blizzards to give him a massive bear hug! 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Edit: of course I've had my snow quota for the decade. Wanting more is just greed.

Did you edit that to wind me up LOL?

You know you're having a pish winter when Hawesy can stick the boot in :rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

After the snow earlier it's rained, rained, rained, rained, rained and then rained and rained, rained, rained and rained. And it's still raining. It has precipitated more or less for 24 hours straight, you've gotta love the west of Scotland.

Aye, the metoffice issued a snow warning after the snow started- that's why :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
28 minutes ago, 101_North said:

If Edo's right I will fight my way to Luncarty through blizzards to give him a massive bear hug! 

I'm starting to feel like the Scottish version of frosty in the MT :D

• Like 6

Posted

Have not actually looked today but......I am hoping to see -12 uppers at least close to the coast to hopefully start the snow machine in the slightly warmer than usual north Sea and -10 on land to keep those on the coast in with a fighting chance

Posted
5 minutes ago, edo said:

Have not actually looked today but......I am hoping to see -12 uppers at least close to the coast to hopefully start the snow machine in the slightly warmer than usual north Sea and -10 on land to keep those on the coast in with a fighting chance

You'd better take a look before the charts change!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Eeee by gum

5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

You'd better take a look before the charts change!

Every time I look at charts they are different just a few days away.  Currently looks like faint (faintest) chance of flurries friday or saturday in Moray then a return to some sort of Atlantic dominated pish which will likely involve wet stuff.  It may change to a roaring NWerly blizzard next time I look...

Incessant rain today everywhere around the firth, most unpleasant.

Posted

Finally dry tonight and moon almost visible behind thinner cloud  which after a few days of south winds is actually moving north to south quite surreal .Currently 2c

Posted
30 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's still raining here...

Ditto, if it had been cold enough to snow I'd have been buried by now.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Ditto, if it had been cold enough to snow I'd have been buried by now.

A waste of good precipitation, as someone used to say... Stopped here now, cold again. Useless weather.

Posted

Trough sitting out primed on Fridays fax and then uppers and precip for the Saturday......

Will it be a dusting will it be my required 3-4 cm for a family sledging trip....

I remain positive.....I have however seen quite a few -9 upper charts over 101s house and can't help but fear the 101 jinx...Hawesy broke it so why not 101...although to be fair have barely had enough here to sledge in last 3 years....

Screenshot_20170207-213039.png

Screenshot_20170207-213011.png

20170207.0626.PPVL89.png

• Like 1

Posted

There's a few of us who just live in the wrong place for snow - too close to the sea and/or pretty much at sea level, the wrong side of a range of mountains, under a snow dome, next to a snow deflector, or have just been naughty in a previous life. I intend to move house in the next few years and I've started a campaign to get away from the bloody sea and get up a hill.  Now I have to satisfy the Ms HC requirement of being on a bus route too.  Time to have a quiet word with Stagecoach about their routing on the Black Isle...

I see the knicker-sniffer is getting a bit of a kicking tonight. I think he should concentrate on washing lines...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

The knicker sniffer :rofl: your not wrong

U forgot to mention interfering mongooses

Interesting fax ....but models all over the place....  

Now casting for next few days let's stay positive.....and perhaps all move up hills

fax96s.gif.6c51f4438e4d4a173d6677a3bad29bc3.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Got my fingers crossed for a forth-Clyde streamer setting up for a few hours if this comes off. Still subject to change but continuing to pray. Had a similar set-up on a night in March 2013 and we got 8 - 10 inches overnight. Uppers certainly edging towards being cold enough, it's the strength of the flow that may cause the issue

IMG_3979.PNG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Horrid wet yuk for most of yesterday. I was momentarily diverted from a horrendous day in work by a snow warning popping up on my MO app but I should have known better than to get excited. Is it just me or does anyone else think the MO have got a bit trigger happy with their snow warnings in recent years? In 2010 there seemed to be hardly any warnings despite us being buried in snow. 

Edited by snowidea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I think the Met Office got in a snit over the moaning in the past about no warnings and now throws them out like confetti. Usually at the wrong times. From these charts though it looks like I might get some snow :cold::yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Woke up this morning to, yes, you guessed, more rain. Temp was 2.9C as I left the house for work and on the drive in there was just the slightest of sleety elements to the rain at times. Finally seems to have eased off into just cool, damp and grey.

Some snow symbols starting to pop up in the Met/BBC online forecasts for here in the next few days, but nothing that looks overly exciting.