Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/06/2017

Posted

Interesting that despite the Azores ridge waxing and waning being the main story of the summer thus far, we have failed to build a decent euro surface high as yet. The repeating cut off lows to our sw ensuring that we bask in some decent hot spells of several days. 

I decided to go to the alps for our summer hols this year - just had a feeling that first half august could be fairly unbearable- starting to think I may have made a good call. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Signs from the GEFS 6z mean of some Azores ridging later next week for the south and the longer term signal, especially from the MO remains good for prolonged fine and warmer spells by the last third of July and into August!:)

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_384_500mb.png

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely day today, models continue to underwhelm tho with the Atlantic just not letting go, hoping for some changes to reflect the superb meto updates soon..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
4 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Signs from the GEFS 6z mean of some Azores ridging later next week for the south and the longer term signal, especially from the MO remains good for prolonged fine and warmer spells by the last third of July and into August!:)

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_384_500mb.png

Continuing with my 15th obsession I'm please to say this Azores influence is still apparent and I say it quietly ,  A little more prolonged . 

IMG_7802.PNG

IMG_7803.PNG

IMG_7804.PNG

IMG_7805.PNG

IMG_7806.PNG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Just possibly, given 00z ECM and 12z GFS, the movement toward the longer-term Met Office outlooks has begun... still need to see a shift in EC Ens though.

Interesting to see an ex-tropical storm featuring in the GEM 12z after its debut in the ECM 00z. It could become a set back, or a means of boosting temps further upward and (unfortunately) adding yet more fuel to the European burner.

Or it may well not come our way at all - tropical exports are notoriously difficult to a pin down.

• Like 1

Posted

The Ecm 12z is looking much better later next week as the azores high ridges in across southern uk, becoming warmer too, especially further south.:)

144_mslp500.png

168_mslp500.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp500.png

192_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

The Ecm 12z doesn't end so well but on the plus side, it's warm..and its 10 days away!..anyway, a changeable and less warm / cooler first half to the week ahead followed by an improving picture further south..sound familiar?:D

240_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted

My eyes are drawn to the recurring pulses of heights to the NE on the GFS between D10 and D15. This could bring major changes - perhaps hotter weather to all as the Atlantic is blocked out, or even more unsettled weather if heights build so far north that the Atlantic gets in underneath. Watch watch watch!!

• Like 2

Posted

Tonight's EPS and NOAA anomalies are still indicating the vortex lobe ( Ryan Maue is calling it this even though it's the middle of summer) over N. Canada and associated trough being the major influence, along with the Azores, on the Atlantic and UK weather pattern. Thus no great variation on previous outlooks, westerly upper flow, doesn't translate to an Atlantic onslaught but more alternate unsettled/ settled periods as the warm and cold air phases with the usual north south bias in these situations. temps around normal perhaps slightly below. Looking further ahead the lobe still ever present but perhaps a weakening of the trough and the HP edging a little NE and thus becoming a little more influential with the temps picking up a tad.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.42c97fafdee79dfe01dc15f68617c088.pngecm_eps_t850a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.7a036fd70a653e3960708f3c1f2e3148.png610day_03.thumb.gif.1c592ce7869c0b1b7a3e0eb7f20fcfd7.gif

814day_03.thumb.gif.66a7a86b3349c5769e4df149b561d811.gif

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

Tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean shows a changeable / unsettled and cooler first half to next week for all areas before a north / south split develops with the north continuing changeable whereas the south becomes warmer and largely fine for a time as the azores high ridges across southern areas which would be good news for next weekend but then it becomes changeable and less warm again from the north-west.

ECMAVGEU12_48_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_72_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_96_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

• Like 3

Posted

Following on from previous posts, including last night's anomaly snippet, this morning's gfs det, offers a good illustration of what I mean. The charts for 12z Saturday clearly show the Canadian vortex and  troughs emanating from it and the Azores ridging over the UK Also the maximum thermal gradient (jet Stream) which is still too strong and further south (thanks mainly to the vortex lobe) than preferable. This is just a frozen example but as the evolution of the run progresses the phasing of the cooler (relatively) and warmer air will change ensuring  alternate periods of settled/unsettled with the N/S bias. This is just my take on proceedings and not meant as a definitive utterance.

gfs_z500a_nh_27.thumb.png.2db006626b0174f28323b14a36e30f46.pnggfs_uv250_natl_27.thumb.png.03eb9520ec44e2a09af9962164dd5c6f.pnggfs_t850a_natl_27.thumb.png.1cbb699f996b8a957fd513608769f40a.png

gfs_t2maf_slp_eur3_27.thumb.png.c52735d70347ee9cac1b0dcfd8ed7bdc.png

• Like 9

Posted

No change from the EPS anomaly this morning. Would be truly wonderful if this chart could be transported to December.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.15390f9920b9033154cbf7aeb1a1e7d9.png

Edited by knocker

Posted
19 minutes ago, knocker said:

No change from the EPS anomaly this morning. Would be truly wonderful if this chart could be transported to December.

GEFS days 12 and 16 headed towards a stuffy back end to July 

IMG_0617.thumb.PNG.5e21c6e1d763273d2713ec85fa4f172f.PNG        IMG_0618.thumb.PNG.b71f192ed3c3ed051f6d3e8e34df46c8.PNG

Eps not on the same page as they maintain high anomolys in general across nw Europe. Not with the defined scandi upper ridge although I suspect the muted mean reflects the much larger number of eps runs making a mean trough/ridge much more difficult at that range. 

Both suites show that stuffy end to July currently likely 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

GEFS days 12 and 16 headed towards a stuffy back end to July 

IMG_0617.thumb.PNG.5e21c6e1d763273d2713ec85fa4f172f.PNG        IMG_0618.thumb.PNG.b71f192ed3c3ed051f6d3e8e34df46c8.PNG

Eps not on the same page as they maintain high anomolys in general across nw Europe. Not with the defined scandi upper ridge although I suspect the mean reflects the much larger number of eps runs making a mean trough/ridge much mor difficult at the range. 

Both suites show that stuffy end to July currently likely 

Yes I was just about to post that the EPS is indicating positive anomalies in the vicinity of the UK in the ext period so I'm still thinking the percentage play is the Azores being more influential. I suspect this might be along the lines of the METO update but of course I could be wrong about this.

• Like 1

Posted

tempresult_pqg3.gif

the eps spreads to day 10 show most of the uncertainty back towards n Britain - this indicates the 00z suite promises a pretty fine 6/10 day period for the southern half of the uk 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Why ?...

Posted

It's noticeable how the much trumpeted potential change to warmer more settled weather which was originally anticipated mid July is slipping back and back, now it may arrive at the tail end of July and last into August but a flick through the GEFS 6z mean doesn't show any sign of it, just the usual waxing and waning of the azores high / ridge against low pressure systems to the nw / n which means the south looks better than the north but in a generally mobile atlantic pattern.

• Like 4