Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Big changes relatively early on from the GFS. Comparing run to run, stronger high pressure towards the pole squeezing out the vortex in Greenland, very different pressure profile over Greenland, Iceland and the North Atlantic and this only five days out.

gfsnh-0-132.png

gfsnh-0-126.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

GFS aligning the Arctic High very similar to the 00z ECM... now that’s an interesting development!

• Like 4

Posted

By t+144 the UK is comfortably back in cooler uppers.

gfsnh-1-144.png

Posted
5 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

gfsnh-5-144.png?12Vsgfsnh-5-150.png?6

You can see the difference over the pole

And the jet slightly further south.......interesting.

I can only see upgrades over the next few days.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, joggs said:

I think further upgrades are a real possibility. Next week could turn out to be a slightly delayed wintry Xmas gift.

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 7

Posted

GFS is pretty good for the period between xmas and new year-much better run than the earlier ones..

Still quite a big difference at 144 tho and ukmo nowhere near as cold  i would suggest.

Wonder which way EC will go?

• Like 3

Posted

Really surprises by the ukmo and gfs 12zs!!did not expect a split like that across greenland!!bar navgem and ecm no other model has shown it consistently enough!!so we could be staring at another cold and snowy spell from christmas evening next week!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

I posted a reminder this morning about GP's thoughts backalong that he suggested a date around the 21st /22nd December to start seeing interesting developments in the Nwp irrespective of any transitional phase. Well its the 20th today and developments are getting interesting.

• Like 4

That's a 12z GFS run which is distinctly more flavoursome for cold lovers. It may not yet deliver the full monty, but it's certainly not flat, zonal and mild. 

I love the way this is progressing. We need to see if this has more support in the ensembles but this could be the harbinger of something really exciting. Or not, of course ;) I'm encouraged.

• Like 5

Posted

ukmo 144 is quite fascinating- will the jet continue to dig south allowing all that freezing arctic air over northern scandy to be pulled towards the UK- or will the energy spilling out of the ESB flatten everything out (ala METO update earlier)..

Edited by northwestsnow

31 minutes ago, joggs said:

Yep agreed. I have no problems with a powerful jet: providing it splits and disappears south of us. It's often the prelude to a fantastic spell of cold and subsequent block.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

ukmo 144 is quite fascinating- will the jet continue to dig south allowing all that freezing arctic air over northern scandy to be pulled towards the UK- or will the energy spilling out of the ESB flatten everything out (ala METO update earlier)..

Given the updates we know where the clever money is - the ecm later will be notable for having a view post day 6, assuming it gets to day 6 like it’s previous run over the polar field. 

With a polar high there is always the chance that the nwp in general could be ‘caught on the hop’ 

Unlikely but possible 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Ban me for posting an ICON chart if you must but this is close to a very good chart.

ICOOPEU12_180_1.png

Looks great, just a mass of cold air over in the USA that normally ramps up a big lump of PV that flattens any attempted splits or Greeny highs

Edited by Ali1977

Posted

What drama!

Christmas week has gone from a dull underwhelming affair for coldies to now  a range of options on offer including some snow.

Both the GFS and UKMO support the ECM 00hrs view of the Pacific Ridge extending south into Greenland.

The high lobe effectively gets forced south into Greenland as low pressure runs towards the Aleutians , boxing the high in.

Where the pattern goes afterwards is a lot more uncertain re the track of energy spilling east. Given the ECM seems to have been the first to model the Pacific side correctly then one would expect it to have a better idea of how much ridging heads south and so I'll leave the deciding vote to that later on.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Wouldn't the cold air be coming down from the North rather than via Scandinavia in this set up? Looks like its coming from the direct North to me but I'm just a noob

Edited by Longtimelurker

Posted
5 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Ban me for posting an ICON chart if you must but this is close to a very good chart.

ICOOPEU12_180_1.png

Go on, get out the Navgem or the Chinese or Brazilian models. :)

633645003725135464.jpg

• Like 1