Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

The plot thickens, cold runs overnight for Europe including ice days from Monday to the end of the run from both the 18z and 00z for my location (and yes that does raise an eyebrow this early in the season). And I'd say nowt to moan about and plenty of opportunities for the UK if this general pattern verifies from the 00z.

tempresult_umh7.gif

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

UKMO is very stormy at 144h and  would need a few more frames to see if it would follow GFS otherwise not a great run at all for coldies except the next few days obviously 

Edited by Dave Kightley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
16 minutes ago, Dave Kightley said:

UKMO is very stormy at 144h and  would need a few more frames to see if it would follow GFS otherwise not a great run at all for coldies except the next few days obviously 

Not true at all in the case of the 00z gfs. Would be plenty of interest if its FI stages verified. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow
35 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Not true at all in the case of the 00z gfs. Would be plenty of interest if its FI stages verified. 

Yea mentioned it in a previous post! If UKMO would go on to follow it is the thing

Posted

A bit of patience is going to be required.

Thats fine with me as Dec is still a week away.

The signal for an arctic high still there towards the end of EC this morning..

GFS showing a warming in the strat at day 8/9

gfsnh-10-192.png?0

which then wanes to be followed by another towards the end of the run-

gfsnh-10-384.png?0

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

ECM not without interest 

ECM1-240.thumb.gif.23b9b8c5664767a5ebce4ebbc1547d74.gif

Azores Iceland heights merge perhaps unsettled spell not lasting to long.

Edited by MR EXTREMES
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Clutching at straws maybe, given it's day 9/10, but the arctic high building SW towards Scandinavia on the 00z EC is one to watch, as this can often be a precursor to a Scandi High and cold easterlies. Not really highlighted by the 00z EPS mean nor on the 00z GFS op

ECMOPEU00_216_1.thumb.png.8520623f20729470f1916ef7cf6ad74a.pngECMOPEU00_240_1.thumb.png.365c9b126180fc8bcc5889f2071af14a.png

Alternately, there's the other path to a Scandi high shown in FI from the 00z GFS run, the Russian high extending west and joining forces with upper ridge building NE from Iberia.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Well P12 would cheer up the troops!

image.thumb.png.044ae259590b442f8c064909d8f7115c.pngimage.thumb.png.cbe95066616f4eefef9cb6dcb0df77d9.png

There are some cold run clustering in the ENS even if not quite so sexy as the above.

image.thumb.png.c3420ea592a4d8214e6333662c510f7d.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

This mornings extended EPS not without interest - Signs of high pressure building across Scandinavia day 15 with a signal for low heights throughout much of Europe.

EC46 didn’t give much of a clear signal beyond weeks 2/3. GEFS slower in the Scandi high evolotion with the high sat over the UK at day 15 but extending North-East. I suspect EPS is a little progressive.

1-7th December turning drier, high pressure building

7-15th - High pressure extends and builds towards Scandi, temps dropping once again

15 - 25th - Cold air proper sets in???

My views today - Extended EPS too progressive re: Scandi heights, GEFS more likely to be closer in reality. 

• Like 7

Posted
28 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

This mornings extended EPS not without interest - Signs of high pressure building across Scandinavia day 15 with a signal for low heights throughout much of Europe.

EC46 didn’t give much of a clear signal beyond weeks 2/3. GEFS slower in the Scandi high evolotion with the high sat over the UK at day 15 but extending North-East. I suspect EPS is a little progressive.

1-7th December turning drier, high pressure building

7-15th - High pressure extends and builds towards Scandi, temps dropping once again

15 - 25th - Cold air proper sets in???

My views today - Extended EPS too progressive re: Scandi heights, GEFS more likely to be closer in reality. 

The high settling over the UK are my thoughts too. That would be nice as we approach mid December. Like you say - thereafter! Who knows? 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The signal for a Scandi High is still there, but it's still at T+384. I wonder what the para will think:

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

The signal for a Scandi High is still there, but it's still at T+384. I wonder what the para will think:

Netweather GFS Image

Doesn’t surprise me - It’s picking up a signal but I think the actual Scandi height rises are beyond the models reach, give it a week and it’ll start showing something far more interesting 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

I get the feeling that the signs on the models are now starting to reflect a hint much colder weather for December - probably starting around the 4-7th region. Much more positive on the long runs. I think we could see some big developments in the next few days. Heights certainly showing signs of building towards Scandinavia and note how quick the lows are collapsing as they head towards the newly developing block area. It is only a matter of time before we feel the winter party :yahoo:

• Like 6

Posted
30 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

9C33DD9D-9624-4FEB-9BF8-8B1B3067B085.thumb.jpeg.0144160e7c687d00f7971ac565314b20.jpeg

lets choose an ideal winter chart ..... 

And yet still with a perfect chart like that above we still end up with pretty much nothing!!i still cant believe the atlantic didnt undercut and cold follow in from the north east!!just our luck!

Posted
35 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

9C33DD9D-9624-4FEB-9BF8-8B1B3067B085.thumb.jpeg.0144160e7c687d00f7971ac565314b20.jpeg

Shame! Excellent synoptics, but cold not in situ to the east!

Anyway - after a non-cold period coming up, opportunities for cold once again towards 6th-9th December still showing on clusters this morning - cluster 3 with strong heights to the north. Other two clusters mixed though. Could come to nothing.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018112400_336.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
31 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I see what you've done there - i wonder if anyone else has?   

Posted
30 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I see what you've done there - i wonder if anyone else has?   

Well at least three of you did ....

@Man With Beard - I found the clusters a bIt meh after the extended mean output. Suspect not being able to see much to our east doesn’t help ..... 

new para is flatter and fires the upper toughing more to our east than northeast around day 8. This could become the transition as we move the trough through to our east - a new jet pattern aligned nw/se with the Azores displaced north whilst heights build somewhat east of Svalbard ???

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Well at least three of you did ....

@Man With Beard - I found the clusters a bIt meh after the extended mean output. Suspect not being able to see much to our east doesn’t help ..... 

new para is flatter and fires the upper toughing more to our east than northeast around day 8. This could become the transition as we move the trough through to our east - a new jet pattern aligned nw/se with the Azores displaced north whilst heights build somewhat east of Svalbard ???

Just a personal view but this is the more likely way to cold rather than looking east in my view. Not saying it will happen but the chances of deep cold, are more likely early in the season from a northerly outbreak initially.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1