Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

# COVID ー 19 | Taking anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, cortisone, ...) could be a factor in worsening the infection. If you have a fever, take paracetamol. If you are already on anti-inflammatory drugs or in doubt, ask your doctor for advice.

This is interesting when we remember what the 'Wuhan Dr's' were telling us un early February about 'spikes' in CFR from folk having a second dose and the 'prior treatments' (to control the symptoms from the 1st infection?) had left the organs/heart unable to cope with the rigours of the 2nd bout of Covid-19?

Seeing as the 'Go To' for chest infections appears to be a short course of steroids I hope the Dr's are getting this info?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

I haven’t panic bought anything yet but have stocked up on cat litter, mainly because I’m always at the end of the bag before I order more.  However, for me any urge to start thinking about panic buying, in pure response I have to say to what I am seeing going on with regard to this, is driven by these questions. 

(1) do we have any idea when we will be put into lockdown?

(2) what does lockdown actually mean and entail - will we be told to stop in doors literally like a curfew or is local travel within the immediate neighbourhood permitted?  I hope so as I sometimes have to go and fetch one of naughty cats back from his favourite haunt.  

(3) how long are we likely to be in lockdown so to speak - 2 or 3 weeks or potentially longer 

(4)  will all shops close down or will supermarket home deliveries continue as long as shopping can be left outside and direct contact between delivery man and customer avoided?

Any views or knowledge on this?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
44 minutes ago, snowdog said:

Any interpreters on here?

Nope but it's pretty simple to understand, seems quite evenly spread between males and females, I don't think it shows death, just who are getting it, could be wrong of course. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Disclose.tv

@disclosetv·20s

BREAKING - France reports the first #COVID19 case in prison. A 74-year-old Fresnes detainee tested positive for coronavirus (Ministry of Justice)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
6 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I haven’t panic bought anything yet but have stocked up on cat litter, mainly because I’m always at the end of the bag before I order more.  However, for me any urge to start thinking about panic buying, in pure response I have to say to what I am seeing going on with regard to this, is driven by these questions. 

(2) what does lockdown actually mean and entail - will we be told to stop in doors literally like a curfew or is local travel within the immediate neighbourhood permitted?  I hope so as I sometimes have to go and fetch one of naughty cats back from his favourite haunt.  

(3) how long are we likely to be in lockdown so to speak - 2 or 3 weeks or potentially longer 

(4)  will all shops close down or will supermarket home deliveries continue as long as shopping can be left outside and direct contact between delivery man and customer avoided?

I would hope measures would be put in place to cope with this. Home delivery looks quite feasible and potentially could use healthy volunteers along with employed staff.

I would like to think if we did hit crisis point that we would all fall into line and make sure everyone is looked after.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
7 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Italy and China enforced the closure of most places but supermarkets have remained open during both lockdown situations. 

In Wuhan, I think it was that one member of the household was allowed to go to the supermarket every 3 days (?). But food delivery was still v. common during the Wuhan lockdown.

Unfortunately, I think if/when the UK situation descends into what Italy/Spain are dealing with, UK supermarket shelves will be completely empty unless panic buying is controlled.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Captain Shortwave said:

I would hope measures would be put in place to cope with this. Home delivery looks quite feasible and potentially could use healthy volunteers along with employed staff.

I would like to think if we did hit crisis point that we would all fall into line and make sure everyone is looked after.

As I've said we saw the best , and the worst, of Human nature over the first of the BIG Floods on Boxing Day 2015

Organised 'Robbing Crews' targeting deserted ,flooded out, homes for the goods hastily stored upstairs.....

A local bike club organised a mobile 'Neighbourhood Watch' to keep the trash at bay but I would expect similar behaviours over any tribulations come 'Peak Infection' and it WILL be down to local communities to organise 'locally' to look after themselves and their neighbours.

Maybe its time to get in touch with your local community & begin to get some idea of the 'services' it may fall to you to provide over any 'difficulties'?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

All we know is the areas on lockdown in other counties have kept food shops and chemists open.

I suppose it will depend on level of containment and how sections of the public would behave as to what happens here. Also doubt that there are the number of small local shops as compared to areas like Italy and Spain.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

No delivery slots on Sainsburys or Tesco for the next two weeks in our area!

This is what worries me.  I have done my Sainsbury’s shopping online for 3 years now and if I struggle to get deliveries I’ll be well pee’d off with it.  One would hope that supermarkets will increase the number of deliveries available.

• Like 2

Posted

As daft as it sounds, my real panic at the moment is whether vets will be available during any lockdown.  I will ask when I go next week what emergency planning for service provision is in hand.   I sort of suspect that some sort of emergency service will need to be available somehow at the local vet hospital, at least that is my hope.  I have a very old ailing cat, which we live with day to day and I know an emergency will erupt one day and another one who ironically suffers with an on-going viral infection and sometimes he needs some assistance.  

• Like 1

Posted

A tale of two panic buys!

Went to Sainsburys as soon as it opened at 7am. I'd been in the store about a minute when a couple left with nothing but 4 12-packs of loo roll. Another shopper yelled at them and called them selfish bastards.  When I walked past the loo rolls shelf there was barely 10 packs left.

I went to the soap aisle and after three weeks of looking, I managed to finally find a liquid soap albeit a  refill. I'd been using  what was left of a fairly useless beauty soap that doesn't lather much and because I share a front door with 12 other flats, I'm quite anxious to wash my hands well when I get in.  But worse than that, my dad who has COPD hasn't been able to find any Carex either for weeks and he really needs it because he had to protect himself. So with that in mind, I picked up a handwash refill for me and one for Dad. But as soon as I picked up the second refil - I got daggers from other shoppers.

Because of panic buying, when you find things that are really needed, you will buy a couple more either for family members or because you don't know when you'll see that essential  product again. What I'm saying it, greedy buyers are forcing sensible shoppers to become panic buyers.

If you scan-shop, you can't buy more than two of some products anyway (like soap and Carex) but people get round this buy going to the self serve and making 2 transactions. It's madness.

• Like 3

Posted

Starting to get a bit uncontrollable in Spain hence the lockdown that could happen

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
Just now, booferking said:

Whens uk report due?

Normally 2pm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
4 hours ago, kold weather said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a full working vaccine by October, though obviously there is still time needed to ramp up production and get it out there. Indeed, there already are numerous first steps down that path that have been completed. I know animal testing for example has been done in London successfully.

Also, reading today that a cure is in the first stages has been started on an antibody proven to work (I think its closer linked to the SARS antibody)

It would certainly be wonderful if this were possible.  Hmmm.   October, you say?  I might have to put every penny I can scrape together into the stock market in September, then....

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Because of panic buying, when you find things that are really needed, you will buy a couple more either for family members or because you don't know when you'll see that essential  product again. What I'm saying it, greedy buyers are forcing sensible shoppers to become panic buyers.

Absolutely spot on.  I realised this morning I’m almost out of soap!  I’ll put it on the Waitrose shop but will be surprised if they have any.  If not, I’ll be dipping my hands in Anistel disinfectant on a frequent basis  I have plenty of alcohol gel and have the ingredients to make more up.   

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

WOW...Tesco in Colney Hatch, London

ETDZR33X0AEGBZD.jpg

Man that is totally crazy!

Uk report should be coming through soon enough, I expect another 200 cases today.

Spain abut to go into full blown lockdown. 

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted

The longer you can keep 'knocking back' any viral load that you are carrying the more time you give your own body to bolster its defences (build antibodies to fight the lower viral load you'll be carrying)
So apart from your hand hygiene consider 'hitting the virus' where it hangs out to multiply (nose/throat where nose meets it and throat to the back of the mouth)

Alcohol mouthwash is what the 'Coronavirus Prof' advised for gargling in the throat and an antiviral procedure for nostrils/back of throat where nose meets throat?

If we can 'build herd immunity' whilst keeping our own viral shedding low (by constant proactive intervention with our own 'viral nurseries'?) then surely this is better for our 'At Risk' groups than just blindly allowing unfettered infection to take off across Society?

Edited by Norrance
Removed quote.
  • Like 2

Posted

Can anyone recommend a good aloe vera gel?

Posted

• Like 1