Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

5F63E1C3-BA2C-41D7-8C6C-F45412130C11.thumb.png.d208e5b8667adac16b56b2397d685527.png

just unbelievable how this band has come down from the north skipped past Lancashire then decided to push East under me. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well I’m eating my own words again. Everywhere white as I woke up. Fantastic. 

• Like 1

Posted

It’s still snowing here moderately! However.. drip drip drip

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
5 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

It’s still snowing here moderately! However.. drip drip drip

Yes unfortunately the drip drip no worries though models showing another event overnight And another on Thursday all this as a starter before the main course this is going to be a January to remember 

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

Yes unfortunately the drip drip no worries though models showing another event overnight And another on Thursday all this as a starter before the main course this is going to be a January to remember 

C.S

I hope so mate! That would be great. The little one is absolutely buzzing this morning. This hopefully just a taster. But it’s unusual we get 5 hours of constant snow. If it was a bit colder, 3-4’ by now for sure. But seems it needed the huge flakes to lay down a base covering first

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well to miss two snow events inside 24 hours by a few miles north and south is a real jaffa cakeser.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Manchester Airport forecast indicating chance of snow again overnight.

• Like 1

Posted

Well for once the hilly parts of the region to the east missed the snow invite as the frontal band hit the buffers just at the M60 westbound...glad I didn't stay up for that.  Good to see those out west got their wintry falls.  Cold week coming up.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
8 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Well to miss two snow events inside 24 hours by a few miles north and south is a real jaffa cakeser.

Snap 

Must have missed me by a couple of miles.. unbelievable

• Like 2

Posted

Weird, met office video forecast shows no PPN signal for right now, shows dryness across the region. Their modelling suggests the front will backbuild around 9-10am and rejuvenate to bring heavy snow back for a couple of hours before dissipating. Won’t happen, no energy... 

GFS shows a feature moving in from the east to affect all parts by tomorrow morning. What’s it on? That’s unlikely too...

Posted

Major bust for Cumbria, not one snowflake here, the front decided to pivot away from us as it hit the coast. Very unfortunate on this occasion. Not sure why it did this. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
Just now, Backtrack said:

Weird, met office video forecast shows no PPN signal for right now, shows dryness across the region. Their modelling suggests the front will backbuild around 9-10am and rejuvenate to bring heavy snow back for a couple of hours before dissipating. Won’t happen, no energy... 

GFS shows a feature moving in from the east to affect all parts by tomorrow morning. What’s it on? That’s unlikely too...

Metoffice have a poor track record of nowcasting in recent times. It's like they don't check the radar etc to verify current model predictions are correct. It's rather odd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

well after spending most of the last 20 hours either too far south, east or north of anything falling from the sky I’ve got my shovel available to borrow if any of you lucky people need snow shifting

never mind there is a chance of something from the east later today although no doubt the mighty Pennines will stop that dead in its tracks and give Yorkshire a covering instead

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Major bust for Cumbria, not one snowflake here, the front decided to pivot away from us as it hit the coast. Very unfortunate on this occasion. Not sure why it did this. 

Referring back to that December 2000 snowfall, 20 years ago this morning as well, it started here about the same time of the day and the SW parts of Greater Manchester did better than the hilly NE although back then they did get snow, this time they got next to nothing. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
4 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Ref tomorrow morning 

This has been picked up from the ECM as well posted on it last night snow showers in a line roughly from Hull to Stoke likely at this stage to effect Eastern and Southern areas of the region.

OK enough for now going to go and play in the snow before it thaws

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Metoffice have a poor track record of nowcasting in recent times. It's like they don't check the radar etc to verify current model predictions are correct. It's rather odd.

The Met Office text forecast this morning was a shocker. They don't seem to be nimble on their feet with this. That's twice this month I think. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

not bad damian, comparing it to 2000, event wise! synoptically different though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

C.S

Raging blizzard outside can't open my front door.....

In all seriousness good to see snow for some who struggle to get it, wet snow fell here but didn't stick, not surprised as it was always going to be very marginal at the coast in this kind of setup.

Similar theme rest of the week, some will get snow some won't. Longer term still looks very good indeed, this could shape up to be the best January for many years. Pretty sure we will all see the white stuff in the coming weeks. Good charts in general yet again, not sure why some are being so dismissive.

Nice pics mate

• Like 2

Posted

And here comes the sun to start the thawing job on yesterday's haul. Thankfully enough of it that it'll have it's work cut out. 

Looks like the NW Forecast thinks we might have another bit of a shot overnight tonight as well!!! Remarkable. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not bad damian, comparing it to 2000, event wise! synoptically different though

I jinxed it by comparing it to then. Looking at current synoptic, the centre of the low is over N Wales right now, and I can see how the front has wrapped itself within the centre on an anti-clockwise rotation, ended up elongation on a NW-SE axis, having started on NE-SW axis, then swung N-S axis, broke up here as it hit the coast then rotated NW-SE away from us. Not your average frontal feature.

Posted

Southerner thread has now decided most of us live in the Midlands, just popping back here for some sanity. 

On the brightside this and actual snow event for the 2020/21 winter so I can probably wipe my sig.