Just looked on Snapchat it’s snowing heavy in hull right now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

The merest few snowflakes here now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, Craigers said:

This is what the automate forecast picking up!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, White Board, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Map

I think the snow is coming from the wsw.  If you run the radar you can see the gradual movement towards us over the last couple of hours.  Radar images from 6.55 and 8.55.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Where did everyone go to find out your accurate meters above sea level? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
2 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

Interesting !  It would be silent I guess or you would have known it was an aircraft.
Did it speed up at one point ?
I saw something similar a few years back.  One light came along horizontal (thought it was the ISS at first) then we spotted another
rise up vertically .. we watched amazed as they met together .. and then they zoomed off away in different directions at
the most incredible speeds.  Never been able to work out what we had witnessed. It happened on the night my father in law
died.  So odd.  
Thanks for the video.  🙂

Yes it was silent and the speed was very consistent. Unfortunately the camera just couldn’t pick up the detail I could see as the object was too far for the focus, but I would definitely say I saw the light as a substantial flame. If it was a lantern as @mat43says, they are so dangerous to the landscape. Yes, I did consider the spy balloon theory too 😁, @Love Snow however hadn’t suspected the south folks as the culprit!!

-5c was our low overnight but the frost isn’t as substantial as I expected, really just the pond & water bath feeling the brunt…a grey & overcast sky so far. Off for my walk now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Sara_south_yorks said:

Where did everyone go to find out your accurate meters above sea level? 

A free app called My Altitude

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 hour ago, Craigers said:

Ecm says no to that 😆

Better for us just as it keeps the milder air south although no more corrections. The Beeb forecast has two pulses not shown anywhere else.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

An free app called My Altitude

Thank you. 

Just used it and im actually 160m asl not 100. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Howdy everyone ☺️

Been following the thread this past week but not posted yet as was holding off. It's been a rubbish winter with only the slightest covering right at the start of the Dec spell. So I'm snow nervous lol!

Radar right now is agonisingly close to me but might not make it.

Feeling a little more hopeful now though for seeing some snow Thursday and Friday 🤞🌨️

• Like 4

Posted

Well I like the ECM chart not so keen on the GFS 00 oz which has a Snow  > Rain > Snow event. We should have better details by tonight. Still puzzled by the Beebs dual pulse.

Posted

Still looking good for tomorrow afternoon into Friday, particular if you have some elevation - the colder air following the low down should prolong the snow cover into the weekend too. Looks bitterly cold on Friday night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

Well I like the ECM chart not so keen on the GFS 00 oz which has a Snow  > Rain > Snow event. We should have better details by tonight. Still puzzled by the Beebs dual pulse.

06z just moved things a little bit south. Not by much but enough to reduce marginality.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Yes the 06z is better than the 00z for the reasons Paul states above. Overnight into Friday morning looks very snowy as the system pivots back southwards.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm meant to be driving to London at 4pm tomorrow so this will help our chances of a decent event quite a bit..... In the more immediate term the potential for snow showers to hit Leeds during the course of the day!

Posted

Radar thinks it's snowing here. Dry as a bone and sun visible through the thick cirrus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
10 hours ago, RebsAbbo said:

IMG_7110.MOV 106.03 MB · 10 downloads

Just been down to the end of the garden to check temp…-5c current recording.

HOWEVER, I’ve just seen a UFO!! Disregard the green/blue reflection of the moon on the camera lens….watch the small orange object. It looked like a flame, like one of those lit lanterns but it moved much faster than a lantern would be ‘floating’. Any ideas? Could it be a meterorite??

I don't think that's a meteorite. It's not moving fast enough for most of the video. Don't think it's a lantern either as it does change speed and direction near the end...

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Any thing today is just a bonus, one would think. I'm not convinced even if we do get something from the southwest today that a) it'll be of any notable intensity and b) that enough will fall to settle.

That being said, the Met Office apps are bullish for this afternoon so I guess we will see. Eyes to the skies ❄️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

We've had light snow on and off for the last hour nr Bridlington, not enough for a covering tho...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As I see it, for inland parts of Lincolnshire the UKMO and ECMWF both point towards it being rather marginal on Thursday afternoon and evening due to daytime solar heating and then warmer air pushing in from the south, but suggest significant snowfall during the early hours of Friday as the Arctic air heads back south again and collides with the frontal system.  As others have noted, south Yorkshire looks to be the sweet spot for an all snow event away from the east coast.  North Yorkshire could also be heavily affected but significant precipitation is less guaranteed in the north of the region.  GFS has things further north, meaning more snow for the north of the region but also more rain for the south.  The latest UKV runs seem to side broadly with the GFS's interpretation.  Thus, less disagreement on the specifics this morning but marginality for both the north (precipitation) and south (temperature) of the region means that even slight differences could make the difference between whether or not you see a snow cover.

Some chances of snow for the S and E of the region today with showers moving in off the North Sea and the main band to the south possibly getting into Lincolnshire for a time (maybe even Yorkshire, but I doubt this), but probably not amounting to much.  It would seem that most models seriously underestimated the chances of the North Sea generating showery activity until very recently.

In the meantime I note that UKMO has moved into line with GFS in suggesting potential for another snow event into the weekend and early next week, with the system tracking further north than Thursday's but again followed by a pretty chilly northerly.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

Updated Meto warning, high ground Yorkshire inland the place to be. 

"At low levels including major cities such as Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle accumulations are expected to be limited with a small chance of 2-5 cm falling. However, significant snow accumulations are possible over hills of northern England (including populated areas of South and West Yorkshire), Northern Ireland and southern Scotland. Here, 10-15 cm is expected quite widely above 100 metres, with a chance that 25-40 cm could fall in some places . Additionally, there is potential for strong winds, which may lead to blizzard conditions and drifting of lying snow. Ice is likely to develop widely on Friday night as this system clears away."

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I note that the Met Office yellow warning area has expanded somewhat and extends all the way up from Bath/Cardiff to Glasgow.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Updated Meto warning, high ground Yorkshire inland the place to be. 

"At low levels including major cities such as Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle accumulations are expected to be limited with a small chance of 2-5 cm falling. However, significant snow accumulations are possible over hills of northern England (including populated areas of South and West Yorkshire), Northern Ireland and southern Scotland. Here, 10-15 cm is expected quite widely above 100 metres, with a chance that 25-40 cm could fall in some places . Additionally, there is potential for strong winds, which may lead to blizzard conditions and drifting of lying snow. Ice is likely to develop widely on Friday night as this system clears away."

Fingers crossed - I've been concerned at some of the changes recently but hopefully this one comes true! 

Edited by hippo
typo