Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

The milder air isn't even close to Yorks, it's still well south across the Midlands. As @Cheese Rice says, nothing has gone boobs up. This was from the yellow warning and, looking at the text, it has gone pretty much as expected.

Posted

What I'd do for even 5cm here!

This area is so bad that the cumulative total of all snowfalls in the last 10 years is 11cm!

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

I'm guessing those who have a very meteorological 'bad feeling' for later on either haven't seen the radar or are just gloomy gooses that aren't fun at parties. Have a little faith people!

Or just realistic, hate that fun at parties saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt Jones said:

Or just realistic, hate that fun at parties saying.

Lol, I hate it too. I don't even like parties 😄 My point stands though.. there's no actual reasoning behind the comments and going by the real forecasts (not apps and out of date TV ones), I'm not sure why people have a bad feeling. What has happened so far is broadly in line with the yellow warning and the current radar is close to the hi-res modelling for the same time period 🙂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Currently rain nr Bridlington as expected, fingers crossed for the evening especially as i will be back home on the Wolds....

Posted
Just now, Steel City Skies said:

Lol, I hate it too. I don't even like parties 😄 My point stands though.. there's no actual reasoning behind the comments and going by the real forecasts (not apps and out of date TV ones), I'm not sure why people have a bad feeling. What has happened so far is broadly in line with the yellow warning and the current radar is close to the hi-res modelling for the same time period 🙂

No I wish good luck to you guys out west on a hill. I knew it was game over for my location when it became a battleground situation about a week ago.

Posted

Sadly gone to rainy sleet here and washing away what we had 

Posted

It has gone a bit left as the front is further north than we expected. It's between 40-50 miles further north which has brought the milder air a touch too far north for a time. It should have reached southern parts of Sheffield instead it's coming right over Leeds. 

It would also put the pivot further north, originally over South Yorkshire to West/North Yorkshire. 

Still all to play for and nothing to suggest it's gone bad, the warning was always for 3pm onwards. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
32 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

I sense a bit of disappointment from fellow members which is not justified imo. Currently reaching 6cm here, coming down heavily with big flakes but this is not the case. This is "Mediterranean style" snow in March. We need to enjoy it as it is. Most probably you won't see any major depths on roads unless there's some higher intensity later this evening and night. Personally I'd rather have the roads clear. 

That said, I'd take this kind of snow 5 times in every winter compared to the dry risk of very cold Easterlies. This ofc has the IMBY bias and I understand everyone down South will be disappointed. 

In Harrogate it's snowing non stop since 1pm yesterday. Light and moderate snow yesterday, the heaviest stuff right now. 

It’s just a bit pointless imo. Wet, slushy snow that struggles to accumulate. Puddles everywhere. There’s nothing fun about this kind of snow. It’s barely any nicer than a rainy day. It’s a bit grim really.

I’d rather just have dry, cold weather to be honest. I was looking forward to spring weather but instead we get this horrible stuff. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Bad lad over Dublin heading NE and probably pivoting later

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Text

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
8 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Yep, the forecasts over the last 48 hours all had two fronts, the first less intense front passing across us this morning, followed by a second more active front, which is currently developing over North Wales and Midlands. Certainly there has been a northward shift of approx. 50 miles, which does move the 'marginality' line corresponding further north, but all along the amber warning was only for the higher parts of the western Pennines anyway. 50 miles, in forecasting terms, is inconsequential, so thus far it is still largely as was expected.

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

It’s just pointless imo. Wet, slushy snow that struggles to accumulate. Puddles everywhere. There’s nothing fun about this kind of snow. It’s barely any nice than a rainy day. 

I’d rather just have dry weather to be honest. 

And I thought I was pessimistic... We didn't have any snow all winter mate and we're having some in March from an Atlantic system with -4 and -5 at 850. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

The milder air isn't even close to Yorks, it's still well south across the Midlands. As @Cheese Rice says, nothing has gone boobs up. This was from the yellow warning and, looking at the text, it has gone pretty much as expected.

Hmm,  not sure I agree re temps.  I think the less cold air has encroached further north than forecast hence the snow melt and low accumulations even at my 100asl.  My weather station is now reading 1c temp and 0.4c dewpoint.

The radar is still showing northward movement, so what will be key for later this afternoon and overnight is when and where we start to see the pivot.  If we get a stall and pivot mid afternoon without too much more further northward movement then we might still be in the game as temps and dewpoints will start to fall at a time when solar heating is lower and the colder air starts to move south again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It’s light rain in Crossgates, looks like rain anyway.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

And I thought I was pessimistic... We didn't have any snow all winter mate and we're having some in March from an Atlantic system with -4 and -5 at 850. 

I don’t want snow for the sake of snow mate. Slushy wet stuff is awful. Each to their own of course but I hate this weather, especially in March when my attention has turned towards spring.

Bring on milder weather IMO. Winter had its chance.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Not sure about the milder air heading further north, it's been falling predominantly as snow here in Lincoln and it's still only 1.2C here, though significant accumulations have been restricted to higher ground, so the colder air is still around to the south of Yorkshire.  I think a more likely explanation for the marginality is that the GFS often slightly underdoes the temperatures in cold spells (both at the surface and at 850hPa level) until we get very close to the time, and some other models may also be guilty of this.  In a setup like this, an increase in modelled temperatures of 0.5 to 1C would give an impression of things having shifted a bit northwards.

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

I don’t want snow for the sake of snow mate. Slushy wet stuff is awful. 

Bring on milder weather IMO. 

Completely understand your point but it's a bit irrelevant given the system we're having at this time of year. There was no way of temps of -2 or even -1 with this setup especially on midday. System more South and the temps would be around there but we would be moaning about lack of ppn. We need to be realistic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Will be interesting to hear what the heavier patch about to hit Sheffield falls as!

It's snowing moderately here at home (133m ASL). No hint of any sleet.

Posted
1 minute ago, Empire Of Snow said:

Completely understand your point but it's a bit irrelevant given the system we're having at this time of year. There was no way of temps of -2 or even -1 with this setup especially on midday. System more South and the temps would be around there but we would be moaning about lack of ppn. We need to be realistic. 

I wouldn’t be moaning about that. I’d be perfectly happy if the entire thing was 50 miles further south and we missed out entirely. Let the southerners enjoy the slush!

2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Look north lunchtime forecast 20 minutes ago 

Yep pretty much as expected, thanks Lee. Pepping up later on with the highest disruption at elevation.

What I did find odd with the graphics though was it showed the afternoon precip pulsing in from the SE, but we can see on the radar it's coming in from the SW or WSW as the hi-res models show 🤷‍♂️