Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

5 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Looks like the northward movement continues until much later tonight and the pivot south east doesn’t start until after midnight. That doesn’t look great for my area.  And to put the tin lid on it, we now have rain!

Still full snow here, and that forecast from Alex is no different to the models. The pivot was always later on.

Posted
Just now, Steel City Skies said:

So far ahead of the BBC forecasts in terms of presentation and graphics these days. 

Yes, I must say I'm very satisfied with METO lately. It seems they have upgraded their "game" and they've been surprisingly good with their extended outlooks also which tend to verify to a better degree. 

Posted

I think we have a window of opportunity tonight 6pm-9pm onwards where snow will fall at lower levels. 

If you get lucky and in a big blob of precipitation at that time wouldn't take too long for snow rates of 1-2" hour for snow cover to build very quickly.

Keep the faith people.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Still full snow here, and that forecast from Alex is no different to the models. The pivot was always later on.

Amazing difference in just a few miles!  Very little snow left on pavements and roads now, just on the grass.  Will be interesting to see if we get a change back to snow when the heavier precip over Sheffield reaches us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Amazing difference in just a few miles!  Very little snow left on pavements and roads now, just on the grass.  Will be interesting to see if we get a change back to snow when the heavier precip over Sheffield reaches us.

I feel like elevation makes a much bigger difference than it used to. Places like York have done extremely poorly for snow since 2010. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Don't panic, the easterly wind is starting up now, some heavier stuff moving up from Sheffield and eastwards from ireland/Wales. Remember yesterday, no accumulation until teatime then it settled easily despite not being all that heavy. From now on is when I am expecting this event to get going. 

• Like 8

Posted

2/3 years ago we had a couple of days similar where the snow stalled and pivoted giving us 6/7 hours of very decent snowfall just cones down to a little luck on these occasions 

A fair few will miss out but many could still get a very nice surprise (on top of what some have now) One more lamppost all nighter for me 👍

So not giving up, yet!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

LOL so much for rain been hammering it down with snow for the last hour.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Don't panic, the easterly wind is starting up now, some heavier stuff moving up from Sheffield and eastwards from ireland/Wales. Remember yesterday, no accumulation until teatime then it settled easily despite not being all that heavy. From now on is when I am expecting this event to get going. 

These showers/blobs to south really do look quite convective, not thundery but can imagine wind picking up a bit in them and it throwing it down, which would drop temperature rather than this light/mod crap weve had all day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

6 minutes ago, cheese said:

I feel like elevation makes a much bigger difference than it used to. Places like York have done extremely poorly for snow since 2010. 

Yes, I believe that with the warming trend in the UK climate, events that used to bring falling and lying snow to all levels away from coastal fringes now tend to be a lot more marginal on low ground.  

Indeed, I've just seen a stark illustration of this here in Lincoln.  I live in downhill west Lincoln and saw an hour of moderate snow which deposited a bit of slush on the grass, but as it cleared I could see out of my north facing window that uphill areas of Lincoln to the west of Lincoln Cathedral, which are only about 30-40m higher up than I am, had white fields and a covering on many of the rooftops.

It's still possible to get lying snow at low levels but it takes more exceptional cold temperatures than it used to, and in events such as today's, it results in snow cover being thinner, more slushy and shorter lived.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Thunderstorms, Snow

The snow had settled quite well this morning except for pavements and roads but quickly thawed once it started to rain. However, all models only expected a maximum of 3cm this afternoon and the snow will start to pick up from the evening. I will keep faith and who knows what sorts of depth we could see after 3pm.

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yeah, definitely. At 100asl we used to do quite well in these situations but less so in marginal events in recent years.

Anyhow, back to snow again now and the temp has dropped from 1 to 0.7c and dewpoint is back down to 0.3c.  Just on the edge of the heavier stuff as it edges north so hopefully will get a covering back on pavements and roads.

Posted

Looks like heavier precipitation inbound for the Leeds area - hopefully! Temps maxed out at 1.0c. Hopefully should start to drop in the next hour.... Traffic webcams look to show heavy snow further down the M1. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,lightning,hot and sunny

Very heavy snow now falling in north Sheffield and starting to stick.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Sheffield snow said:

Very heavy snow now falling in north Sheffield and starting to stick.

I don't think it has stopped snowing here in SW Sheffield most of today and it is coming down heavier now.  We're on a short but steep side dead end road  near Huntres bar and snow and ice tend to stick on our street even after its thawed out just a couple of streets away.

Just hope the numpties dont attempt to steer their cars downhill, its all street parking and our poor little micra is out there under a chunk of snow

• Like 1

Posted

@vizzy2004 I saw you were in Rosedale this morning.  Hope you weren’t planning a trip over Blakey this afternoon, as it’s starting to look tricky! 😁

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Transportation, Vehicle, Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

This stuff to the south of Leeds moving NNE should be with me shortly ad it looks like some heavy stuff so will report back when it hits in the next half hour! Screenshot_20230309_150515_NWSnowRadar.thumb.jpg.65e8aca8032a1173301ff64c98af26fb.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Heavy snow starting here now with winds picking up,...i want snow drifts😜

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

After what I've seen today I'm tempted to think that if I see significant falling snow early tomorrow morning, especially if it produces limited slushy accumulations like today, it will be worth going for an early morning walk up towards Lincoln Cathedral as it seems that the higher elevation outweighs the increased urban heat island effect up there and they could have somewhat more lying snow in the nearby gardens.  Might not want to risk going directly up Steep Hill while conditions are potentially slippery though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

50p's anyone😳

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

mmmm just on the edge of drier stuff

Could contain: Face, Head, Person, Outdoors, Nature, Sky