Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
15 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

This is the BS models prediction for tonight, check it out! No work tomorrow for everyone 😁

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

I would love that to be a summer storm.....

• Like 1

Posted

Horsforth train station is a different world from here at 110m asl,  proper snow line about 150m now, everything covered above that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Ugh dismal day here it did start as snow ❄️ but been on and off rain and snow 😭😭😭😭

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Been out and built a snowman (not a very good one lol) with my little girl so im now a happy bunny. 

I don't mind what it does from now but i hope everyone at least gets a covering. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Snowman

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Tim A said:

Horsforth train station is a different world from here at 110m asl,  proper snow line about 150m now, everything covered above that. 

Roads and pavements now covered in Roundhay - alternating between moderate to heavy-ish snow. The dripping also seems to have stopped, though temp is still 0.4c

• Like 1

Posted

7ins in Crookes , Sheffield at 700ft. Snowplough been through already- could be a lot of snow by tomorrow

Posted
5 minutes ago, Tim A said:

I'm at 124m and house roofs and garden is covered but only just starting to settle on pavements and the road. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Basically a repeat of that snowfall in Jan 2021 when Cookridge etc had decent snow but here we had nothing. Really is a shame that these elevation-reliant snowfalls are becoming more and more common.

Posted
Just now, Northern Sky said:

I'm at 124m and house roofs and garden is covered but only just starting to settle on pavements and the road. 

I’m at 166 and it’s only just started to settle on paths and roads 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

Basically a repeat of that snowfall in Jan 2021 when Cookridge etc had decent snow but here we had nothing. Really is a shame that these elevation-reliant snowfalls are becoming more and more common.

That was a great snowfall. We were so lucky here that Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
15 minutes ago, cheese said:

Everyone on Facebook having a good moan about the ‘useless Met Office’ lol 

I'd rather it not snowed, can't be bothered about it these days. That said if it's going to snow it should be proper snow 😁

Surfaces too warm and too wet I think. It has snowed quite heavily, just not the best conditions for it to settle. 

Posted

Having grown up in Cookridge it's quite normal to see limited snow at the bottom of the hill. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

What a utter fiasco today has been in Sheffield, schools shut, parents scrabbling about trying rearrange things. And what happens?.....nothing. First schools were shut at 7am!!!, what for!!! There are head teachers in this city that should be  holding their heads in shame. I've done London and back, 2 calls in the capital and still only 8hrs work. These highly paid head teachers really need to get in touch with reality, a lot of parents have lost a lot of money due to the actions of a few.

The problem is head teachers are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.  Some parent wants their kids home whilst they can still get to school, and lets also think about teachers who also have to get home.

My daughter is a primary school teacher and a couple of years ago we had heavy snow in Barnsley and her head teacher decided to stay open, then took the decision to close at lunchtime.  By that time it was already too late and parents couldn’t get to school because the roads were utter chaos.  

The result was that my daughter, along with other teachers, had to take kids to grandparents or other available carers in the absence of parents.  She then had to walk home.  Altogether she was walking in 8 inches of snow for the best part of 4 hours, and she walked almost 10 miles.  

So whilst I understand frustration in some circumstances where snow doesn’t arrive and school has been closed, it isn’t exactly black or white.

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Snow levels going to drop, there will even be some snow in Leeds city centre and Headingley by tomorrow morning you watch.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Having grown up in Cookridge it's quite normal to see limited snow at the bottom of the hill. 

I can’t ever remember there being such an extreme difference between here (90m, east Leeds) and the higher parts of Leeds before. There have been times when there’s been snow here but none in town, but that’s UHI related as much as anything.

This elevation used to be reliable for snow in the past, but that’s changing now unfortunately.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Sometimes you can have full snow top of Morley and nothing at Elland road level 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ❄️ / Thunderstorms ⛈

Is there more snow on the way to Doncaster guys and girls 👍🏻

Posted
1 minute ago, Liam Taylor said:

Is there more snow on the way to Doncaster guys and girls 👍🏻

Doncaster is probably a bit too far East for any settling snow until the very early hours of the morning mate

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ❄️ / Thunderstorms ⛈
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Doncaster is probably a bit too far East for any settling snow until the very early hours of the morning mate

Ok buddy 👍🏻

• Like 1

That precipitation in mid-Wales is proper sexy. On its current track it'll reach here after dark with nocturnal cooling helping as well.

I had a disturbed nights sleep last night... am I going to sleep at all tonight? 😅

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

I can’t ever remember there being such an extreme difference between here (90m, east Leeds) and the higher parts of Leeds before. 

Mate I used to live just after the roundabout as you leave otley up leeds road, I've known it be slush snow here struggling to settle yet just 30m higher, up leeds road, a winter wonderland. 

The snow line is going to drop though keep the faith, at least the heavier stuff should come in later when its cold enough rather than wasted now. My prediction is 50m+ should be ok for some decent snow

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Beginning to settle again here in the Valley Bottom in Mytholmroyd, West Yorks

Once there's a covering then it's 'Game On'!!!....

It all then depends on what the 'pivoted system' & N. Sea Moisture care to offer us I reckon?

Posted

Another clearance coming in after this band then a line if heavy stuff further sw?

Anyone think that'll reach us before the pivot ect and will it be wintry?.

Things seem to be moving quickly ne atm

Posted

Where I used to live in Woodford, we were at the highest point. So high that St Paul's would have to be completely under water before we even saw any!

It was quite common for our Close to have Snow but a few mins down the road, absolutely nothing.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Mate I used to live just after the roundabout as you leave otley up leeds road, I've known it be slush snow here struggling to settle yet just 30m up leeds road a winter wonderland. 

The snow line is going to drop though keep the faith, at least the heavier stuff should come in later when its cold enough rather than wasted now. My prediction is 50m+ should be ok for some decent snow

You might be right but I still think we’ll get nothing more than a dusting here. Just feels like one of those events.