Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
13 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Looking like more snow chances in this month, looking at the models today. 

Thanks for the pictures. 

I have just seen some sleet so you never know I might see one flake of snow fall from the sky🤣

How did March 2013 happen, even here we had 3ft snow drifts mid-month. 

Not convinced we will see much snow in the next few weeks barring in the north and high ground. 2013 we had a blocking high around Greenland and a much colder blast than this week brought in -10--15C uppers from the North and east, fronts around the south coast brought snow and I seem to think Kent got hit hard from convection, wasn't too bad up here but was cold. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Roads are clear. Lovely snow scenes around Mayo Ave/Manchester Rd in Bradford. Plenty of icicles, just a lovely winter scene.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

From a friend in a higher part of Sheffield looks like between 30-40cm easily. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Architecture, Building, Housing

That's the first picture I've seen of this event that's comparable to December 2010, awesome!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Just tipped past 0c here now and it's brightening up. It's falling off the trees, fences, cars and house now.

Always makes me sad 🥺🤣

• Like 1

Under no illusion that it might be some time before we see a snowfall as epic as this one was ❤️ ❄️

Sun peeking through a bit better now the last of the precipitation is easing off. Looks very pretty out there.

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Winter, Snow, Scenery

UKV has several hours of snow later on Saturday afternoon into the evening as the next system bumps into the cold air. Not the quick transition back to rain, if this run is to be believed.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Posted

Best snow event i can remember for a long time - I'll rely on others to tell me for Leeds as I was in London since 2016. Well-done to the Met Office on the amber warning - got just under 15cm level and 20cm on the grass. If only yesterdays snow stuck a little better, we might have gotten closer to 2010. Melting rapidly on plants etc.. ,though i reckon we'll keep cover in the shaded areas until Sunday. The downsides of snow in March! I'm off to London today and back Sunday, hope you all see some snow Saturday evening (looks another 2-5cm widely prior to turning much milder)

Always an odd time when you think 4 weeks today we could be realistically hitting the mid 20s if any heat makes it!

A few pics from Roundhay Park

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Winter, Architecture, Gazebo, Snow

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Vegetation, Winter, Snow, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Frost, Snow, Scenery

A bit of a poor effort here. Its stopped now and this is what we ended up with.

We need a good northerly...

I share your pain ! Curse of the east coast. North Norfolk the same, been snowing heavily this morning but absolutely nothing has stuck! Those at elevation and away from east coast have certainly benefited. Unless we get deep cold uppers and low dew points, just impossible to get a decent snow event. Sadly, northerlies are just not potent enough these days. Can’t remember when one delivered here. Easterlies off a frigid continent are our best scenario.  Hay ho…at least I got to see falling snow. I was doubtful of that a couple of days ago.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

What a night.

Been out with our choccy lab who loves snow. 4" in our garden but official for Bingley is 6" but that's official weather station at st Ives at a higher elevation.

A winter wonderland in the moors earlier with warm sun on us.

Felt daft in wellies and shades🤣

Enjoy all👍

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Under no illusion that it might be some time before we see a snowfall as epic as this one was ❤️ ❄️

Sun peeking through a bit better now the last of the precipitation is easing off. Looks very pretty out there.

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Winter, Snow, Scenery

Looks good, sun coming out here, looks very different here though! Given the right situation March produces the goods as well as any winter month, no deep cold for it to last but that could be exactly the same in winter.

15 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

UKV has several hours of snow later on Saturday afternoon into the evening as the next system bumps into the cold air. Not the quick transition back to rain, if this run is to be believed.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Repeat performance same areas broadly, but won't be the same depths you'd have thought. 

Edited by Matt Jones

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Full figures are in for here. 

Grass: 4cm

Bin Lid: 3cm

Cats Head: 2cm

Chickens Back: 1cm

• Like 6

Posted

Measured 17cm of snow. A bit deeper on the grass. Was hoping for more tbh.

Could contain: Furniture, Outdoors, Chair, Nature

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Met office app has some impressive lows for tonight. Will be fun tomorrow….

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well we got ours!!!

Bacon butty & then off for a snow stroll!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Anybody for Snow blindness. Slow thaw here going to be interesting what's left by tomorrow morning. Expecting a quickening of the thaw this afternoon.

Posted

Looks like Western side of Sheffield matched the epic December 2010 totals? Some posts showing Lodgemoor / Crosspool with about 40cm of snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Must have been a lot of 'essential journeys' on the M62 last night?

Even after days of warnings and an Amber MetO warning they still had to travel on one of the highest sections of motorway in England...in a Blizzard.....

Hmmmm......

• Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, ChezWeather said:

That's the first picture I've seen of this event that's comparable to December 2010, awesome!

Someone had posted a pic from top of Derbyshire Lane in Sheffield with close to 40cm of snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Looks like Western side of Sheffield matched the epic December 2010 totals? Some posts showing Lodgemoor / Crosspool with about 40cm of snow

Lowedges, Greenhill, Norton top of Herdings looks like they have hit around 40cm 

Thats a friends photo from Greenhill around 40cm and seen photos from Lowedges that show the same. 

I would hazard a guess Owler Bar Ringinglow will be 50cm+  Owler bar was shut overnight as blowing snow blocked the road and road up to Ringinglow goes above 400m and usually a good big deeper. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Architecture, Building, Housing

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Even after days of warnings and an Amber MetO warning they still had to travel on one of the highest sections of motorway in England...in a Blizzard.....

Hmmmm......

Well if you count people going to see famed wife-beater Chris Brown in at the AO arena in Manchester then, yes 🙄

Posted

As I said yesterday evening I wouldn't have been surprised with the highest parts of Sheffield reporting 50cm+ and Lodge Moor has 50cm level snow. 

I suspect it is close to 2ft at top Ringinglow which is a further 120m  higher up. 

Could contain: Architecture, Building, Outdoors, Shelter, Nature, Text, Winter, Hot Tub, Tub

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
25 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Hmmmm......

Ah but the warning was for other people, not them. How were they to know that there were hundreds of others who thought the same?

I bet, when pushed, 90% of them had no reason that they had to travel at that time of the day or on that route.

• Like 1