Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
28 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Someone had posted a pic from top of Derbyshire Lane in Sheffield with close to 40cm of snow. 

Matches with the 30cm to 31cm here allowing for elevation.

• Like 2

Posted

Another storm that wasn't named unless I missed it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

just snapped a few pics of the back garden before the sun hits it and the thaw starts.

(excuse the mess, we only moved in a few months ago and we're waiting on planning to go through before we do loads of work to the house and garden)

Could contain: Building, Countryside, Hut, Nature, Outdoors, Rural, Shelter, Housing, Shack, House

Could contain: Outdoors, Shelter, Countryside, Hut, Nature, Rural, Housing, Ice, Shack, House

• Like 2

Posted

All traces of the dusting from this morning gone and its now sunny with a temp of 5.2C. A look on the visible satellite shows this really was a high ground event.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

French named it

Met office asleep at the wheel again.

Posted
1 hour ago, joggs said:

What a night.

Been out with our choccy lab who loves snow. 4" in our garden but official for Bingley is 6" but that's official weather station at st Ives at a higher elevation.

A winter wonderland in the moors earlier with warm sun on us.

Felt daft in wellies and shades🤣

Enjoy all👍

our Dobermann, Liesl took one look at it this morning and said 'nope'. Meanwhile, the barmy bengal cat, Bandit the badass, was straight out and had to be dragged back in again.

40 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Matches with the 30cm to 31cm here allowing for elevation.

some awesome photos on our local Friends of S11 Facebook page especially Ringinglow Road heading out to Hathersage. very eerie

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Bayley said:

Looks like Western side of Sheffield matched the epic December 2010 totals? Some posts showing Lodgemoor / Crosspool with about 40cm of snow

remember it well, our boiler had packed in and no one could get to our road or other side roads...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

What a contrast to this morning, i have been in meetings, so stuck in a windowless meeting room, come out for lunch, bright sunshine and the roads are drying up in this breeze,

• Like 1

Posted

Spent all night pulling people out of snow and getting them to safety, time for a snooze now. Was out between 0100-0700, A59 between Skipton amd Harrogate was measuring 40-50cm on the road at that time at high points, drifting higher than that. We had to use service 4x4s rather than actual fire engines because of road conditions.

Could contain: Light, Aircraft, Transportation, Vehicle, Airplane

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Mark Bayley said:

Best snow event i can remember for a long time - I'll rely on others to tell me for Leeds as I was in London since 2016. Well-done to the Met Office on the amber warning - got just under 15cm level and 20cm on the grass. If only yesterdays snow stuck a little better, we might have gotten closer to 2010. Melting rapidly on plants etc.. ,though i reckon we'll keep cover in the shaded areas until Sunday. The downsides of snow in March! I'm off to London today and back Sunday, hope you all see some snow Saturday evening (looks another 2-5cm widely prior to turning much milder)

Always an odd time when you think 4 weeks today we could be realistically hitting the mid 20s if any heat makes it!

A few pics from Roundhay Park

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Winter, Architecture, Gazebo, Snow

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Vegetation, Winter, Snow, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors

March 2018 was definitely better here. This event is about as good as Jan/Feb 2021. A looong way off December 2010 or Jan 2013.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
2 hours ago, Stephen W said:

I share your pain ! Curse of the east coast. North Norfolk the same, been snowing heavily this morning but absolutely nothing has stuck! Those at elevation and away from east coast have certainly benefited. Unless we get deep cold uppers and low dew points, just impossible to get a decent snow event. Sadly, northerlies are just not potent enough these days. Can’t remember when one delivered here. Easterlies off a frigid continent are our best scenario.  Hay ho…at least I got to see falling snow. I was doubtful of that a couple of days ago.

I was at the University of East Anglia on the outskirts of Norwich from 2007 to 2011 and it was as if the Norwich climate flicked a switch with northerlies starting in January 2011.  Until then, most seasons had at least one or two instances of significant lying snow off northerlies, often via snow showers off the North Sea.  I had at least two per season while I was there, including substantial late November ones in 2008 and 2010, and countless examples in the winter of 2009/10.  Yet since then, it's been rare for a northerly to give Norwich any advance on the odd slushy dusting that swiftly melts. 

Here in downhill Lincoln the scenes looked a lot like what Reef posted with plenty of snow falling but just a slushy coating on the grass.  I got up earlier than usual this morning because I knew there would be more lying up near Lincoln Cathedral because of its extra 50m elevation, so I set off on a long walk uphill at 7:30am, taking advantage of a conveniently timed day off work, and sure enough, the grassy areas around the Cathedral had 70-80% snow cover at 9am this morning.  Even in uphill Lincoln, though, it was largely gone by 11am.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, cheese said:

March 2018 was definitely better here. This event is about as good as Jan/Feb 2021. A looong way off December 2010 or Jan 2013.

Thanks - which part of Leeds are you based? I'll have to look through the files for Jan 2013, how much you get then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 hour ago, ukpaul said:

Ah but the warning was for other people, not them. How were they to know that there were hundreds of others who thought the same?

I bet, when pushed, 90% of them had no reason that they had to travel at that time of the day or on that route.

Anyone who knows the stretch from Milnrow & on east past Heartshead Moor services know you just 'don't' if the snows settling on the roads hereabouts?

Couple that with folk low on experience in driving in snowy conditions & that's that done! The car in front forces you to stop & then the fun & games begin!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I was at the University of East Anglia on the outskirts of Norwich from 2007 to 2011 and it was as if the Norwich climate flicked a switch with northerlies starting in January 2011.  Until then, most seasons had at least one or two instances of significant lying snow off northerlies, often via snow showers off the North Sea.  I had at least two per season while I was there, including substantial late November ones in 2008 and 2010, and countless examples in the winter of 2009/10.  Yet since then, it's been rare for a northerly to give Norwich any advance on the odd slushy dusting that swiftly melts. 

Here in downhill Lincoln the scenes looked a lot like what Reef posted with plenty of snow falling but just a slushy coating on the grass.  I got up earlier than usual this morning because I knew there would be more lying up near Lincoln Cathedral because of its extra 50m elevation, so I set off at 7:40am, taking advantage of a conveniently timed day off work, and sure enough, the grassy areas around the Cathedral had 70-80% snow cover at 9am this morning.  Even in uphill Lincoln, though, it was largely gone by 11am.

Regarding East Anglia, the last time I experienced decent snow lying off a northerly wind was way back in December 2012... Ever since then it's been either sleet showers or bugger all! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Kathryn Atkin said:

our Dobermann, Liesl took one look at it this morning and said 'nope'. Meanwhile, the barmy bengal cat, Bandit the badass, was straight out and had to be dragged back in again.

some awesome photos on our local Friends of S11 Facebook page especially Ringinglow Road heading out to Hathersage. very eerie

🤣😂🤣🐶😼

Posted

Its melting so fast here! 6c on the car. What a shame! Did well in the end with 10-15cm.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Car, Winter, Neighborhood, Blizzard, Snow, Wheel, Suburb, WeatherCould contain: Chart, Plot, MeasurementsCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Yard, Backyard, Plant, Tree, Wood, Weather, SnowCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Shelter, Winter, Car, Ice, Weather, Snow, Blizzard, PersonCould contain: Architecture, Building, Skylight, WindowCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Weather, Blizzard, Storm

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Driving to work today....set off at 6:30am so light traffic. At Grenoside where i am it was what even i would call deep snow but i  was astonished by the number of cars and vans attempting roads which even my 4wd would have its diff lock on to get up. And the look of bewilderment on their faces as the invertible occurred. I actually watched one guy turn into a pub carpark to turn around but went so far in on a sloped car park in his 2wd Audi that he hadn't a hope of getting out, then proceeded to get out and try and clear the snow in front of his car with a windscreen de icer tool....suspect he may have been from the lower end of the Gene pool when brains were given out..

Posted

Can see tonight being real dangerous on the roads, suns been out for hours now here and the thaw is well and truly underway, with a temp forecast of -4c that's not a good recipe 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm normally a bit of a "night owl" but I was up at 7am prompt this morning to get to Lincoln Cathedral before solar heating started to kick in, knowing that there would be more lying snow there.  I also took a trek along the West Common, which also had more snow due to being out of the city.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Car, Vehicle, Ice, Snow, Winter, Architecture, BuildingCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Building, Road, City, Winter, Car, Snow, UrbanCould contain: Building, Spire, Arch, Monastery, Gothic Arch, City, Metropolis, Clock Tower, Cathedral, PersonCould contain: Architecture, Building, Arch, Gothic Arch, Cathedral, Church, Monastery, Person, Fortress, CarCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Tree, Ice, Tree Trunk, Building, Bench, Person, Snow

• Like 5

Posted

Sun has dented the snow quite a bit. But in the shade and grass its survived pretty much intact (10 to 14cm still). Max temp of 3.2c. Hopefully melt should stop in the next few hours before a hard frost. Sadly I won't be back until Sunday. Any top up Saturday evening will have gone by then sadly. Have fun!

Could contain: Tree, Outdoors, Shelter, Neighborhood, Nature, Fir, Hut, Car, Housing, Scenery

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Sun is now going down thank goodness, still decent depth in most places so it should freeze solid tonight with -6 expected.

Cloudy tomorrow so should keep it now until the end of the day and maybe a cheeky temporary top up tomoz evening before we lose it.

It's been a great 36 hours though, one to remember in the end and I've enjoyed being on here sharing it. Best community around 😎🌨️

Take care tonight everyone, lots of water and slush around which will not be pretty later and in the morning 

• Like 2