Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

Well a better day today, winds NW force 4-6 cool at 15c but overall OK for my lunchtime ride, a short sharp shower at around 11am

This was taken at just after 12.30pm near Grindale airfield

20230724_124159.thumb.jpg.0b242b2812acdf49fd9890796af1a051.jpg

As a confirmed heat hater I will happily sacrifice nice weather for keeping temperatures below 22c, but this last weekend has to be one of the wettest dullest for a while, and we were on the southern edge of the rain bad for a lot of the time

5 hours ago, Mark Bayley said:

June was good but I've yet to record 30c (29.2c so far)!

Growing up in London in the 60s there were a number of years where even in London we never made 30c.

• Like 3

Posted

Off to Yorkshire next week with daughter. Staying either Leeds or Selby, not sure yet. Daughter visiting friends, and I'm being left to my own devices. Any suggestions to while away a couple of days would be most welcome. (no car)

19.... nineteen! Top temp today which is comfortably ahead of the previous two days. Positively balmy with some glimmers of the sun.

Posted
33 minutes ago, chilly milly said:

Off to Yorkshire next week with daughter. Staying either Leeds or Selby, not sure yet. Daughter visiting friends, and I'm being left to my own devices. Any suggestions to while away a couple of days would be most welcome. (no car)

What sort of things do you like? Are you going to be close to a railway station? Probably more options from Leeds than Selby

Leeds ideas

Harrogate or York with York having more to offer. Settle - Carlise to somewhere like Ribblehead if you like scenery and walking.

Selby ideas

Train to Bempton visit Bempton cliffs RSPB reserve, 30 mins walk from station however. York is also an easy journey from Selby. Traditional seaside day out, Bridlington, Filey or Scarborough.

Loads more ideas, just depends what your interests are.

Posted

Thanks Mike. I like history, walking, nature, scenery. I like the idea of York and also Bempton. Will look into those.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
1 minute ago, chilly milly said:

Thanks Mike. I like history, walking, nature, scenery. I like the idea of York and also Bempton. Will look into those.

If you like history cm (& walking lol), York is the place to be, its a must visit 👍

• Thanks 1

Posted

I arrived in N Yorkshire in pouring rain and wind last night and this lasted until at least midnight if not later. Glad to see a bright dawn this morning, but the showers quickly moved in on the moors although, thankfully, they disappeared in favour of some bright sunshine with a cool wind this afternoon. Another cool-ish night in prospect and certainly not the temperatures you would expect to see towards the end of July.

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, chilly milly said:

If you are staying in Selby the East Yorkdhire Round Robin might be a good idea https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/tickets/rangers-and-rovers/yorkshire

• Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

If you like history cm (& walking lol), York is the place to be, its a must visit 👍

3 minutes ago, mike57 said:

If you are staying in Selby the East Yorkdhire Round Robin might be a good idea https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/tickets/rangers-and-rovers/yorkshire

I like these two ideas immensely. Thank you. York for a day definitely. Then the round robin for another day, getting off where I fancy. Thank you both.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, chilly milly said:

Then the round robin for another day, getting off where I fancy. Thank you both

Just remember that for the segments between York - Scarborough - Bridlington trains are basically hourly each way, so a bit of forward planning may be needed, you dont want to get back to a station and find you have 55 mins to wait.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Not a bad day at lunchtime, sunny intervals, very light winds force 1 variable and temperature of 17C.

Grindale airfield windsock looking very deflated

20230725_124441_1.thumb.jpg.f75fa91e883014212c7640c6e15d4965.jpg

Now raining and just had one flash of lightning

• Like 1

Posted

What is it with Vale of York? I had to return home to Cheshire at lunchtime and not for the first time recently, the heavens opened at Pickering and again on the A64, with dark angry clouds all around. Heavy showers were forecast but even so.... 

Posted
2 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

What is it with Vale of York? I had to return home to Cheshire at lunchtime and not for the first time recently, the heavens opened at Pickering and again on the A64, with dark angry clouds all around. Heavy showers were forecast but even so.... 

I wonder if it a geographical effect from the North York Moors and the Wolds  one of our offices is in Malton and they get fat more thunderstorms than we do.

• Like 1

Posted

Lunchtime ride brought almost no wind Force 0 - 1 from a vaugely SW direction Temps at 17C and felt very humid and muggy. Mostly cloudy. Not a very nice day, but based on the alternative being the dragons breath heat of last year I will settle for the current 'stuck' pattern.

20230727_122857.thumb.jpg.b0b8c6ca30d5bbeff25551d73f1fa4f9.jpg

Rain was spotting just as I got home, and was raining hard within 10 mins. Its rained on and off all the afternoon, and is currently raining hard again. Grass needs cutting badly, hay fever had ramped up again so didn't feel like doing it last night, and its too wet tonight. Interesting that weather is showing 55% chance of storms later and lighning detector is showing some recent strikes out to sea to the NE, but not heard anything here.

Edit: Just heard a distant rumble 17:06.

image.thumb.png.8f49749951f7aa51d75609f88e02f62a.png   image.thumb.png.05bcc15c31f41e3b1cd6fc421fee29f7.png

Edited by mike57
update
  • Like 1

Posted

I was told by a friend that there was no play at the cricket at Scarborough today because the ground was 'underwater'. I assume this was the rain from last night, perhaps carrying over into the morning. If I had not been.back in Cheshire, I might have gone and I'm glad that it wasn't an option. Hopefully the weather will improve for the 1-dayer at York on 17th August. 

Posted
11 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I was told by a friend that there was no play at the cricket at Scarborough today because the ground was 'underwater'. I assume this was the rain from last night, perhaps carrying over into the morning. If I had not been.back in Cheshire, I might have gone and I'm glad that it wasn't an option. Hopefully the weather will improve for the 1-dayer at York on 17th August. 

There was also a cloudburst over Scarborough yesterday around tea time. The storm which I mentioned tracked down the coast, we only caught the edge of it here, had a few rumbles and a couple of flashes accompanied by some heavy rain but looks like Scarborough got a direct hit. This is a still taken from a video posted on the Scarborough Moan Facebook Group, taken on Scalby Road, there are a number of other pictures of flash flooding around Scarborough last night

image.thumb.png.ff3b9bbad2bb1e117c506bde495f5ee9.png

Edit: Just noticed on the Met Office website Scarborough got 40mm of rain yesterday

Edited by mike57
Update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

BBC News "BBC Yorkshire Climate Correspondent Paul Hudson said the deluges were caused by a convergence line - a band of cloud which could cause heavy showers in a localised area - between Fylindgales and Bridlington". A man was injured by rocks coming off very wet cliffs at Whitby. Cricket at Scarborough has been abandoned as a draw.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Another showery day for the east coast. Bridlington harbour looking out to sea just after 7am.20230730_065747.thumb.jpg.ef8a964a211f22a88937fe76840dd810.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Not too bad at lunchtime a force 3 - 4 SW wind. Temperatures were 18c and mostly cloudy, however has turned into a wet evening with steady moderate rain. Tomorrow looks to be wet as well.  Yellow warning for storms further south, I wonder if it will be justified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Just to wish the local folks .. Happy Yorkshire Day   😊

I felt the need of a light jacket for my walks today.
Just the merest 'mizzle' rain, mostly dry and overcast.
I'd rather this than baking .. but its not great for holiday makers and businesses 
I understand.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Beverley Lass said:

Just to wish the local folks .. Happy Yorkshire Day   😊

I felt the need of a light jacket for my walks today.
Just the merest 'mizzle' rain, mostly dry and overcast.
I'd rather this than baking .. but its not great for holiday makers and businesses 
I understand.

Happy Yorkshire day BL, few glimpses of blue sky this evening, about as good as it gets currently 😅

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.

Well Well Well this is definitely 100% the worst morning of summer 2023 in Bridlington. An absolute deluge on and off and some road flooding in the area. Also now the easterly wind has picked up significantly, so this would easily pass for an October day !

The amount of rainfall for this part of the country has been truly amazing, given what can be an extremely dry period in the year. Everything is so green and lush , quite remarkable.

It's absolutely hammering down outside now - you couldn't make it up !

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, matt brid said:

Well Well Well this is definitely 100% the worst morning of summer 2023 in Bridlington. An absolute deluge on and off and some road flooding in the area. Also now the easterly wind has picked up significantly, so this would easily pass for an October day !

The amount of rainfall for this part of the country has been truly amazing, given what can be an extremely dry period in the year. Everything is so green and lush , quite remarkable.

It's absolutely hammering down outside now - you couldn't make it up !

Spot on! I didn't drive to work this morning, i sailed 😁, atrocious road conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Spot on! I didn't drive to work this morning, i sailed 😁, atrocious road conditions.

Now the wind has picked up .. definitely feels like October now !

And it's only 14c lol.

• Like 2

Posted

13mm / 0.52in rainfall for Bridlington between 7am and 1pm today and 0.60in so far for today in total (to 1pm).

Will be make 25mm or 1 inch for the day by the time it's all over 🌧️🌧️🌧️

• Like 2