Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ❄️ / Thunderstorms ⛈

Looking great where I live for snow can’t wait ????

40F3D8D5-3528-4243-9FCB-7FCE0D1DA561.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
16 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

The stuff just North of us looks light and patchy 

another clump just dropped into Northern Scotland??

It is. Rolling back the radar it looks like energy has transferred from the east to the west. That's no bad thing with the frontal movement as long as we don't get a rain/snow shadow from the Pennines.

Posted

We got to hope the influence from the north sea won't turn it all to sleet for Yorkshire so fingers crossed tonight's charts keep winds north for tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at all the charts I would agree with the met office on this, 2-5cm on high ground, low ground a mixture of rain, sleet and snow not amounting to a covering. 

It is possible that if we see heavy precipitation it could bring the freezing level down sufficiently to deliver temporary accumulations to lower levels (around 100m).

I think the intensity is going to be the main issue in this scenario. 

It's going to be a miserable day for many areas of Yorkshire with a mixture of rain, sleet and at times wet snow lingering on throughout the day. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

I'm just glad this winter is producing opportunities. This is snow front number 4.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Frontal boundary should be over West Yorkshire in the next hour. Whether there's more than snizzle remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Yr. no

Screenshot_20210107_151559_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Looking at all the charts I would agree with the met office on this, 2-5cm on high ground, low ground a mixture of rain, sleet and snow not amounting to a covering. 

It is possible that if we see heavy precipitation it could bring the freezing level down sufficiently to deliver temporary accumulations to lower levels (around 100m).

I think the intensity is going to be the main issue in this scenario. 

It's going to be a miserable day for many areas of Yorkshire with a mixture of rain, sleet and at times wet snow lingering on throughout the day. 

Yes I would agree with this.

Temp modelled to be 1c here for approx the next 24 hours. We will likely get light snow that won't settle, we need to get lucky with heavier precipitation to bring the temp down.

1.1c, very light drizzle now. But no snowflakes.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim A said:

Yes I would agree with this.

Temp modelled to be 1c here for approx the next 24 hours. We will likely get light snow that won't settle, we need to get lucky with heavier precipitation to bring the temp down.

1.1c, very light drizzle now. But no snowflakes.

I think Cookridge above 150m should be okay. 

Over the last ten years I've experienced similar similar setups to this, as a rule of thumb it needs to be snowing/sleeting in Leeds center for it to be settling in Cookridge. If it's raining in Leeds center and snowing in Cookridge then the snow won't be settling. 

In this instance I'm expecting sleet or snow in town and lying snow on high ground, the dividing line between lying snow is going to be the tricky one to forecast. It could be 150m or 250m. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Cheese Rice said:

I think Cookridge above 150m should be okay. 

Over the last ten years I've experienced similar similar setups to this, as a rule of thumb it needs to be snowing/sleeting in Leeds center for it to be settling in Cookridge. If it's raining in Leeds center and snowing in Cookridge then the snow won't be settling. 

In this instance I'm expecting sleet or snow in town and lying snow on high ground, the dividing line between lying snow is going to be the tricky one to forecast. It could be 150m or 250m. 

Yeah I think cookridge should deffo be alright! I reckon above 100m away from immediate coasts should be cold enough for a light covering tonight/tomorrow, maybe lower. 

If the wind comes off the land and not the mild seas (left or right lol) will greatly increase our chances.

Temperature now fallen back down to 1.0c here in otley, light snow falling although bit wet.

• Like 2

Posted

Not here yet but radar is a bit better. At least it's slow moving.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Oh god the rain/snow shadow of doom is homing in on me  377095061_Screenshot_20210107-160403_NWStormRadar.thumb.jpg.18d012bbb02cf591901759927f1e9333.jpg

Posted

Temp in my locale (Sheffield north) 1.4c  DP -0.8 and falling steadily. Fairly clear skies helping. Fingers crossed the front doesn’t break up too much. What are conditions like Leeds/Bradford way? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

The heavier stuff just coming out of Scotland and Newcastle area looks good, on a good path for Yorkshire, so here's hoping!

1c now here and the ground will be colder so it should settle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I'm watching that area in the ne. That could give us something if the precipitation stays mod/heavy. Would be nice that then what's to follow overnight.

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, joggs said:

I'm watching that area in the ne. That could give us something if the precipitation stays mod/heavy. Would be nice that then what's to follow overnight.

21 minutes ago, joggs said:

Yeah me too, think this evening could become interesting when that lot pushes in! The fact that when it pushes in should move north ~ south across us might keep that horrible mild SST influence at bay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

It's bloody raining! Why is it doing that? 

Edited by bazookabob

Posted

Sleet here in Bingley with odd big flake in. I'm also lowish down also. Could be a interesting evening.

• Thanks 1