Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

In a way  for us, there is no nail biting outputs as people say, easterlies are not a favoured direction but if the phasing of the low does go wrong but we still get cold air toppling overr the top, it increases our snow chances perhaps. 

That said, synotopically the easterly is a beauty and the weather the east will get with big proper beefy snow showers will put the Irish Sea popcorn showers to shame! 

Still prefer Cheshire gap and NWesterlies all the day long... at least Penines are not an issue and deliver to most of our region... West always best, but in this case East will be a feast

Posted
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

In a way  for us, there is no nail biting outputs as people say, easterlies are not a favoured direction but if the phasing of the low does go wrong but we still get cold air toppling overr the top, it increases our snow chances perhaps. 

That said, synotopically the easterly is a beauty and the weather the east will get with big proper beefy snow showers will put the Irish Sea popcorn showers to shame! 

image.thumb.png.d9f378ca41dd885c4b90fc5cd13a34e6.png

But the longer it goes on eventually you can get the winds drifting in from the west, snow maker for the costal areas like January 4th 2010.

Posted

Just got in from work and was wondering why the MAD thread is churning out at a rate of 20 posts per minute - it's showing the road to Damascus for those craving the 'Beasterly' ... severe snow storm smashing into eastern areas a week today... no wonder they are hammering the keyboard to show their delight.

Edited by dodge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I've had three days sledging this year off marginal showers so i'm quite content really. 

Drove to Clough Head on NYE with the kids in the mist and sledged. 

I'm only messing. If loads of kids down south and east get great memories of the snow and turn into a snow nut then great. 

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. 

Posted

They're all talking about beast from the east while today (and I'm about to blaspheme I know) I thought how lovely it felt in the sun - bring on the spring and summer! I'd like to see an easterly deliver here, the last few have just been notable for how cold (and dry) they were. 

Posted
Just now, dodge said:

Just got in from work and was wondering why the MAD thread is churning out at a rate of 20 posts per minute - it's showing the road to Damascus for those craving the 'Beasterly' ... severe snow storm smashing into eastern areas a week today... no wonder they hammering the keyboard to show their delight.

Oldham does okay from this setup in general. 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

image.thumb.png.73dd5bba12c73c4339bdeeb55ac05076.png

Makes me want to vomit. 

Historic snow event for all on Sunday night.

I'll have the bbq out. 

If it was rain it would have no problem soaking us, what is it with our region ?

Posted

Kevin may be able to help me out but I struggle to remember a convective easterly when it HASN’T snowed here.

Feb 2018, Feb 2009, Feb 2005, not to mention a fair few in the 90s. Sometimes the Peaks can reinvigorate the showers. Amounts are of course usually less than the eastern side of the country. Once troughs get involved then all bets are off. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, frosty ground said:

Oldham does okay from this setup in general. 

Yes I don't think the tops of the Pennines will gobble up the snow when driven on by that wind and heavy precipitation.  I can't see it being as bad as the 12z GFS though.... still it's better than snow grains.

Posted
1 minute ago, raul_sbd said:

Still prefer Cheshire gap and NWesterlies all the day long... at least Penines are not an issue and deliver to most of our region... West always best, but in this case East will be a feast

I've barely been impressed what the Irish Sea pops up tbh. The showers are usually small in size, quite scattered and it comes in bursts then goes dead. The North Sea is a different beast, of course being miles bigger helps with that and having some significant cold air just adds to that. 

Of course it can still go wrong with the phasing of the low so it's not a total certainly a full on easterly will come but an easterly of some sorts looks likely. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Kevin may be able to help me out but I struggle to remember a convective easterly when it HASN’T snowed here.

Feb 2018, Feb 2009, Feb 2005, not to mention a fair few in the 90s. Sometimes the Peaks can reinvigorate the showers. Amounts are of course usually less than the eastern side of the country. Once troughs get involved then all bets are off. 

I remember one year in the early 90's it was freezing and the snow never got past Leeds

South easterlies thou never deliver 

Actually i remember snow grains blowing in a cloudless sky.

Edited by frosty ground
  • Like 1

Posted

Despite the lack of serious accumulations that us in lowland NW get off easterlies, I'd take a cold crisp easterly with the odd flake in the breeze than a constant deluge of rain powering through off the Atlantic. Fingers crossed for those in the East of our region that we see something epic late next week!

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I've barely been impressed what the Irish Sea pops up tbh. The showers are usually small in size, quite scattered and it comes in bursts then goes dead. The North Sea is a different beast, of course being miles bigger helps with that and having some significant cold air just adds to that. 

Of course it can still go wrong with the phasing of the low so it's not a total certainly a full on easterly will come but an easterly of some sorts looks likely. 

You've only been living here 5 years right? strangely enough its not  really delivered in that time

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

I remember one year in the early 90's it was freezing and the snow never got past Leeds

South easterlies thou never deliver 

Actually i remember snow grains blowing in a cloudless sky.

Some easterlies don’t deliver at all anywhere , especially if high pressure is too close. When you see a really strong pressure gradient and a squeeze in the isobars in the North Sea though it’s far more likely. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

20th November 1993, I don't recall anything here from that. Even the weak effort between Christmas and New Year 2005, a snow flurry made it across here. A few snow flurries made it across early January this year

CFSR_1_2021010600_1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
12 minutes ago, dodge said:

Just got in from work and was wondering why the MAD thread is churning out at a rate of 20 posts per minute - it's showing the road to Damascus for those craving the 'Beasterly' ... severe snow storm smashing into eastern areas a week today... no wonder they are hammering the keyboard to show their delight.

As long as they’re only hammering their keyboards

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

You've only been living here 5 years right? strangely enough its not  really delivered in that time

Yep 5 years, I don't expect it to deliver in terms of snowfall because of location but often in convective westerly set ups, the lack of convection at times surprises me. It comes in bursts then stops for many hours and then may start again but the showers are often so small, some members on here knows I like to call them 'popcorn' showers as they are so hit and miss, its hard to know if they will hit or not. 

In fairness there has not been a set up where you get - 10 uppers off the Irish Sea so maybe things will be different if that happened. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

2018 the wind stripped fields of the snow, hence the massive drifts. 

Had 2-3ft drifts here March 2018... including 3 ft drift in garage... proper fine powder snow... 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Yep 5 years, I don't expect it to deliver in terms of snowfall because of location but often in convective westerly set ups, the lack of convection at times surprises me. It comes in bursts then stops for many hours and then may start again but the showers are often so small, some members on here knows I like to call them 'popcorn' showers as they are so hit and miss, its hard to know if they will hit or not. 

In fairness there has not been a set up where you get - 10 uppers off the Irish Sea so maybe things will be different if that happened. 

Just need a good old polar low, but they are as rare as hen teeth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

12z not for the faint hearted - fun and games  start at +135 - I fear for the MOD thread for the inevitable downgrades.

If the GFS verifies February is going to be quite memorable.

h500slp.thumb.png.96b27b4c7e26c2e7e35a49d1f8a30f19.png

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.thumb.png.a6d8f3c76e5eae91e0c324835c16a5b5.png

• Like 2