Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it was 1993 when the highest annual max was 29.7C sometime in early July.  2007 almost managed it but I think somewhere just nudged over 30C in early August 2007.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 minute ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I think it was 1993 when the highest annual max was 29.7C sometime in early July.  2007 almost managed it but I think somewhere just nudged over 30C in early August 2007.

It would be remarkable if we could do it again, esspecially in our warming climate, but chances are we'll get a plume at some point.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

What about all the colder lovers in winter then?

I honestly though you were being serious, but I was struggling to take you seriously ha ha!

I love a bit of green snot me. 

They are right next to the Atlantic, that is why.

Hope so.  

Wonder when the last time that happened? (does anyone know, tried googling it but couldn't find an answer).

But genuinely I am a heat lover and cold hater.  But still like a bit of banter anyway. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Despite recent wet and cooler weather it's still warm indoors here just above 20C in most rooms. So absolutely no need for heating and gives the environment a break as well. Sat here in shorts and t shirt. But can understand how super thin people or people with health issues (diagnosed or undiagnosed) may still shiver in those temps. Depends on the individual but I've not come across many people who say it's cold sat around in a 20C room.

• Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Despite recent wet and cooler weather it's still warm indoors here just above 20C in most rooms. So absolutely no need for heating and gives the environment a break as well. Sat here in shorts and t shirt. But can understand how super thin people or people with health issues (diagnosed or undiagnosed) may still shiver in those temps. Depends on the individual but I've not come across many people who say it's cold sat around in a 20C room.

Depends what temp it has been recently as well. I remember in August 2018 feeling chilly in a t-shirt at 21C (after getting used to an indoor temp of 24-25C in July) so needed to put a jumper on to feel warm enough. Normally though I'd be comfy indoors in shorts and a t-shirt at 20 or 21C. Below 20C and I usually need a hoodie/jumper though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Feel sorry for summer lovers in southern half of the UK, been dire for weeks. The lack of sun is the most depressing thing at this time of the year. Been a mixed week here but today has been gorgeous, 29°C and sunny all day, proper summer 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, slater said:

Before we all know it August will be here , which historically is the most unsettled month of the summer season…so could this be the year we don’t hit 30+?

I think August will be the best month of the summer this year which will be fairly high pressure dominated and southerly winds making frequent occurences, resulting in 30 Celsius temps being achieved in many places. Similar to August 2016.

August often turns out to be a disappointment to summer lovers, but it has on occasions ended up being the hottest summer month.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I think August will be the best month of the summer this year which will be fairly high pressure dominated and southerly winds making frequent occurences, resulting in 30 Celsius temps being achieved in many places. Similar to August 2016.

August often turns out to be a disappointment to summer lovers, but it has on occasions ended up being the hottest summer month.

Atlantic dominates August, probably the 4th most Atlantic dominated month, behind Dec, Jan and Feb

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Yes, this is truly terrible temps and weather for July in London / South-East England. I would not even say his is April, tbh. Generally in London April is much more pleasant than this. This is more like November or could be March.

I might expect this weather for July in the Faroe Islands, the Scottish Highlands, or even the North-West of England, but not down here... Honestly don't know what is up with the weather this year in the South. Outside of that random (and somewhat uncomfortable in it's suddenness) burst of heat in early June, it seems to be perpetually cool and wet and not budging from that, outside of the odd day (or more like half-day) where there's a few hours of sun. This current trend into Summer very much follows the trend of Spring which was generally much cooler and wetter than average. This is compounded ofc by the fact that we cannot go on holiday or travel to warmer climes (or at least, not without great difficulty and ridiculous prices). We are trapped here to endure what has possibly been one of the most dire periods of weather from April to July in London that I've ever seen.

Blame the settled very dry April I say... a bad omen in recent years 2011 and 2017 spring to mind! Going further back 1987 and 1997..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

That’s what I’m hoping. The often moribund Atlantic at that time of year can work against us, particularly towards the second half of the month, but hopefully we can have better fortunes this year! I quite enjoyed the mid July to early December 2016 period for weather.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Blame the settled very dry April I say... a bad omen in recent years 2011 and 2017 spring to mind! Going further back 1987 and 1997..

April, probably the least Atlantic dominated month, May, March and September not far behind

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Atlantic dominates August, probably the 4th most Atlantic dominated month, behind Dec, Jan and Feb

Never a fan of August, can be a cloudy and sometimes very wet month if the atlantic rules the roost, often wetter than any month between February and July. It can easily be the mildest but more thanks to very mild minima than maxima.. Need second half of July to produce the goods... optimum time in my book for heat.

• Like 1

Posted

Genuinely. Just walked back down road from the pub. Takes 15 mins. Had a light jacket on. If I had my massive winter coat on from Dec to Mar it wouldn't have been out of place. Very chilly. UK. July 6th. 

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Genuinely. Just walked back down road from the pub. Takes 15 mins. Had a light jacket on. If I had my massive winter coat on from Dec to Mar it wouldn't have been out of place. Very chilly. UK. July 6th. 

SW'ly breeze so similar temps with this setup in Dec to Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

SW'ly breeze so similar temps with this setup in Dec to Feb

This would be December 2015 territory if this happened in winter... More like 8-12C.

Posted
34 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Feel sorry for summer lovers in southern half of the UK, been dire for weeks. The lack of sun is the most depressing thing at this time of the year. Been a mixed week here but today has been gorgeous, 29°C and sunny all day, proper summer 

If only. 29/30 is my ideal. Sadly nothing above 26c . Only 2 days reached 25c since 1st May. Absolutely rubbish.

• Like 1

Posted

Tomas Schafemaker (BBC weather ) just said next Wednesday (14 July) summer arrives.  Jet stream moves north. HP moves in. Which is entirely happening  because I am on leave this week and of course the weather is crap 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

That’s what I’m hoping. The often moribund Atlantic at that time of year can work against us, particularly towards the second half of the month, but hopefully we can have better fortunes this year! I quite enjoyed the mid July to early December 2016 period for weather.

Mid July to Mid August 2016 (apart from the plume on July 19th) was a very Atlantic dominated period here, temps generally around 15-20°C. The rest of the period was drier and sunnier than usual though, although by December 2016 it turned mild and cloudy.

1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Did you see frost on the pavement as well?

Posted

Have to say I know I’m in the minority but I’m enjoying this cooler weather. Cooler indoors and better for sleeping. Put my nice cosy summer duvet back on the bed last night, was lovely and cosy. Couldn’t do that in June, much too warm for anything more than a blanket.

Nothing too warm on the horizon either so all good as far as I’m concerned.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Mid July to Mid August 2016 (apart from the plume on July 19th) was a very Atlantic dominated period here, temps generally around 15-20°C. The rest of the period was drier and sunnier than usual though, although by December 2016 it turned mild and cloudy.

Did you see frost on the pavement as well?

No . But it weren't overly warm. I was glad to get in the house. Get the footy on and a duvet over me legs. 

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

No . But it weren't overly warm. I was glad to get in the house. Get the footy on and a duvet over me legs. 

Fair enough. It’s currently 14°C in Dudley according to google, which is a bit chilly for a July evening I suppose, although nothing out of the ordinary.

Posted
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Have to say I know I’m in the minority but I’m enjoying this cooler weather. Cooler indoors and better for sleeping. Put my nice cosy summer duvet back on the bed last night, was lovely and cosy. Couldn’t do that in June, much too warm for anything more than a blanket.

Nothing too warm on the horizon either so all good as far as I’m concerned.

I can feel a 38c week coming on in the period 4th to 11th August. That will teach you .

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Fair enough. It’s currently 14°C in Dudley according to google, which is a bit chilly for a July evening I suppose, although nothing out of the ordinary.

14c is not warm. It might be a tropical night out in Burnley

• Like 1