Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

Well even the supposed ‘good day’ of the week is turning out rubbish. Started of ok but we are back to BAU summer 2021 weather, heavily overcast and light rain. Absolutely terrible. 

Edit, it’s absolutely throwing it down! 

Rubbish cloud back here too! Yesterday was a much better day!

Posted

Really nice here up till about lunchtime but a rather threatening grey cloud is building now. Fairly warm compared to most of the dross of the last 3 weeks but nothing to write home about.But so far today. NO RAIN.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
16 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes some parts of California can be extremely wet in the Autumn and Winter. Crescent City in California averages a staggering 1,058mm over just those two seasons. Which is wetter than a lot of the Lake District and some parts of NW Scotland at that time of year. When I lived over there I was stunned to see it raining almost every day in northern California but often the south missed out. There was a saying that south of Interstate 80 and it's a lot drier in the fall & Winter.

Screenshot_20210708-012906.thumb.png.7bdacdcef3d78ccfad5049e434191759.png

The west coast of California is one of my favourite climates, mild year round with plenty of sunshine. But those rainy "winters" might get a bit much!  It would be like a milder version of winter 19/20! The cool dry and sunny summers would be perfect though.

Curious climate, March has a higher max than Jan and Feb, and September has a higher max than July!

The nearby Half Moon Bay is much drier though, and a bit warmer. That would be my preffered climate if I was living there. The novelty of having 15C and clear blue skies most days would be great. Thier winters would be like February 2019 and thier summers like April 2020, perfection. 

10 hours ago, Alderc said:

Ah bless, for all of the 5-10days per year at most they have to get though it and really for only those in the south east. Lol 

Try working on a building site in 35C in direct sunlight!  I'm sure you'd quickly change your mind...

7 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

There’s been a few comments that 30C has not been breached this year? Surely somewhere in Southeast England breached that in early June no?

Nope. 

7 hours ago, markyo said:

Ah my utopia...i better get house hunting! Sounds perfect!

I think it would be a bit cool, wet and cloudy even for you!

13C maxes in summer and only 100 hours of sunshine in August!

Torshavn Climate.png

Half Moon Bay Climate.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
15 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Really nice here up till about lunchtime but a rather threatening grey cloud is building now. Fairly warm compared to most of the dross of the last 3 weeks but nothing to write home about.But so far today. NO RAIN.

20c here so agree on the temp a bit better

Posted

A lovely summers day here, blue sky, fluffy white cumulus clouds, nice breeze and currently 20C. ?️Perfect weather for my local high school sports day (can hear the loud speaker from my house!), not too hot at all.

It's usually nice weather when they have the annual sports day (usually early July).

In fact, because my memory of the weather is so sharp I can (almost) remember the weather on thier sports day for the last five years!

2016: 23C Overcast

2017: 23C Sunny

2018: Can't remember but would have almost certainly been hot and sunny

2019: 16C and Partly Cloudy

2020: Schools were closed due to Covid, but if it went ahead would have probably been crap weather.

Posted

My view out of my window at the moment... 

Just to make the southerners jealous!  

One of the best summers I’ve ever known for pleasant, mostly dry, sunny but not baking hot weather. So many days in the high teens and low 20’s yet none above 23°C. 

Long may it continue.

6906B612-76A5-49E5-9432-DACCEE0BBF6B.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Nice morning here and 24°C but clouding over. Another severe thunderstorm warning out for this evening and overnight, turning into quite a lively storm season here! Certainly no boring Atlantic cool, grey drivel

My in laws said the same about their region in Latvia. Quite a few thunderstorms in the daytime and overnight during June, with plenty of hot or warm dry sunny days in between. 

I’m hopeful we see some proper sunny summer weather soon. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

One of the best summers I’ve ever known for pleasant, mostly dry, sunny but not baking hot weather. So many days in the high teens and low 20’s yet none above 23°C. 

Long may it continue.

Haven’t seen many of those down in London. Just grey walls of cloud with the odd sunny warm interlude.

Not sure why we’ve missed the storms either, as we’ve had some humid weather on and off.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Haven’t seen many of those down in London. Just grey walls of cloud with the odd sunny warm interlude.

Not sure why we’ve missed the storms either, as we’ve had some humid weather on and off.

It’s as if the north and south have swapped climates this summer!

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely day again here...If we end up with second half of July hot and a very  good August. its been an outstanding summer in the North. Really can't complain with the summer of 2021 so far.Obviously we've had the odd poor day here and there, But you expect that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like another desperately poor weekend coming, while not overly wet, looks like showers and total cloud cover, temps in some parts of the south could struggle to get above 16 or 17C on both days. Slightly better further north. 

Posted
52 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I blame you and Markyo. Pair of wronguns!

Posted
6 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Red heat warning in effect here today, only the second time I've ever seen that happen (the other was in August 2017). The forecast was for 38C but that will be difficult to achieve with most stations in the area "only" at 30-31C at 11am (Slovenský Grob is the warmest local station at 32.6C).

Mužla in the south of the country is worth keeping an eye on. It's already 35.0C there! (the same location reached 38.0C a couple of weeks ago) 

The forecast wasn't that far off in the end. It got to 36-37C at most local stations, with 37.6C at Slovenský Grob (just outside Bratislava). Elsewhere, Mužla "only" managed about 38C after such a hot start along with Hurbanovo (usually considered the hottest village in Slovakia - it holds the national record of 40.3C from July 2007). Certainly a very hot day.

A cold front is due to sweep through in the early hours bringing thunderstorms but the models keep flip-flopping on the amount of rain, sometimes showing none at all. The ground is absolutely parched at the moment. 

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Long may it continue.

Gorgeous summer here too!! Just look at that sky!!

1.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Proper weird isn't it!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Standardised QBO value went easterly in June for the first time since May 2020. 

June PDO was the most negative for June since 1999. 

Strangely June had the most positive AO value for June since 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think it would be a bit cool, wet and cloudy even for you!

Oh no, wouldn't have any problem what's so ever with that climate, literally perfect for me!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted

Oh look? The end of the day is here! Time to give you the weather you want now you can't use it ... 

IMG_20210708_181531648_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Yet another wet, grey and cool weekend due by the looks of things. Really depressing (particularly as I took a day off because the forecast was good a week ago) - very much ‘a month of wet Sundays’. Today first acceptable day for a week - it’s always decent Thursdays it seems. Roll on some heat SOON!

Posted

I've got an idea. Is there a brainy scientist who could invent a sort of enormous vacuum cleaner which can then suck up the jet stream and place it to the North of UK. Thus allowing a summer season to take place free of clouds, downpours,  cold summer solstices and woolly hats/jumpers. If such a scientist can be found it would be jolly good. I might even buy them a pint.

• Like 1

Weekends have been absolutely terrible this summer but you gotta be joking - Seriously this is a massive wind up?  8C below average on Sunday? 14C on the day that’s going to be the biggest booze up in history. I should be spending the afternoon down at one of the beach bars or large outdoor garden in Bournemouth but no it’ll be winter coat, jeans and looking for somewhere to light a log fire! Absolutely disgusting. 

EC36BA1E-4842-48A2-8CC6-1627D531A2D2.thumb.png.afed11a5680959aa944c88dac7e47f59.png

Edited by Alderc