Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Well yet again on the East Coast its 22c plenty of sunshine, a few clouds about, but all in all a grand day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

I'd give the summer a 7/10 here due to the lack of oppressive/hot days and also a lack of cold washout days. 

Temperature wise it's been brilliant for me with temperatures in the ideal high teens/low twenties "not too hot, not too cold" range most days. The only reason why it's not a 10/10 is due to the lack of thunderstorms (only 1 so far, although its was a good 'un) and the occasional dull and cloudy day. Also June was too dry, could have done with more rain in June (not something I often say living in rainy Lancashire!)

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 5

Posted

Meanwhile next 16 days in Moscow. Not one temp below 28c and lots of mins higher than our max. I'm just hoping 2nd half July and August gives us something called a 'summer'. If that happened + the first 2 weeks we had in June it would redeem itself.  Particularly after the arctic April and May.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Well yet again on the East Coast its 22c plenty of sunshine, a few clouds about, but all in all a grand day

It's cloudy currently here, unlike yesterday, but at least it's dry and reasonably warm at 18C. Can't have it sunny everyday though, it is the UK after all!

I went on holiday to Cromer in East Anglia in August 2011 and then again to Skegness in August 2013, both times I remember excellent weather, very sunny but pleasantly warm, nothing too hot or oppressive (probably low 20's I'd guess) and I don't remember any rain. That area does very well for nice summer weather, as does Cornwall and The English Riveria (South Devon).

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Meanwhile next 16 days in Moscow. Not one temp below 28c and lots of mins higher than our max. I'm just hoping 2nd half July and August gives us something called a 'summer'. If that happened + the first 2 weeks we had in June it would redeem itself.  Particularly after the arctic April and May.

They can keep it as far as I'm concerned! UK summers are so much more comfortable imo. And Moscow have brutal cold winters as well, no thanks!  I'll stick to the temperate UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

A 6/10 here. Been nice for almost all of June up until Sunday past when there was a terrific thunderstorm. This week has been disappointing with grey skies and drizzle at times, with the lack of sun holding the temperatures down. Long trousers yesterday and today for first time in awhile. Looking forward to next week, optimistic the models are aligning on a nice spell especially in western locations.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
12 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I swear some people just love to moan about our weather just for the sake of it...

uk_actual_and_anomaly_maps.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Maps of climate variables for previous months, seasons and years

2021_6_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2021_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2021_6_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Those maps are smoothed out.

This is why I like to record my own data as accurately as possible.

Sunshine levels on that map show I had 90 - 110% of the average. The reality is, I recorded 74% of the average.

Rainfall here was 167% of the average.

Weather stations don't cover every square mile of the UK, so even a few miles away from one can be completely different. So, when someone says that they are having a bad Summer, it's entirely feasible and certainly not for you to say that isn't true.

You're constantly moaning about hot weather, when we haven't had any. So you need to refrain from telling others to stop moaning, in a moans themed thread.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Those maps are smoothed out.

This is why I like to record my own data as accurately as possible.

Sunshine levels on that map show I had 90 - 110% of the average. The reality is, I recorded 74% of the average.

Rainfall here was 167% of the average.

Weather stations don't cover every square mile of the UK, so even a few miles away from one can be completely different. So, when someone says that they are having a bad Summer, it's entirely feasible and certainly not for you to say that isn't true.

You're constantly moaning about hot weather, when we haven't had any. So you need to refrain from telling others to stop moaning, in a moans themed thread.

Fair enough. I guess the weather has been pretty rubbish in a lot of places down South, these last few weeks (compared to average). Hopefully things pick up for you guys soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Summer 2021 so far in London is a 3/10 for me. Cloudy, wet and avg. temps for many in the SE.

There's plenty more time to go for us to achieve high temps but daylight drop through August + September so it doesn't feel the same as June/early July heat.. ☀️ Let the slow descent into winter begin.. 

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

They can keep it as far as I'm concerned! UK summers are so much more comfortable imo. And Moscow have brutal cold winters as well, no thanks!  I'll stick to the temperate UK.

I prefer the continental climate of Eastern Europe or north eastern North America. Cold winters with snow and frosty clear sunny days, and better summers with longer spells of sunshine, heat and storms. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 08/07/2021 at 10:45, Northwest NI said:

There’s been a few comments that 30C has not been breached this year? Surely somewhere in Southeast England breached that in early June no?

Not quite - 29.7c at Teddington (SW London) on the 14th June is the highest of 2021.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
24 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Let the slow descent into winter begin.. 

Be nice to get a summer first! Hopefully a mild, snowless winter to come  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Winter is fine, I just dislike all the hype and hyperbole that comes with it every single year! There's always one teleconnection dug out by somebody that means the odds are good for a cold one....and it just falls flat on its face pretty much every time! This year as we descend back into La Nina it's a sure sign of a 1987 redux...

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yeah. Lots of depressions coming in from the south west. Mild wet and windy. Just like the summer!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Meanwhile next 16 days in Moscow. Not one temp below 28c

That would be basically hell for working in i would find. Coupled with high night time temps. Give me good old UK summer's any day. 

• Like 2

Posted

Caught these two absolute units on the office wall today. Biggest I’ve ever seen in the U.K. 

9058BEE0-D534-4E48-8CC7-36A02B1C8A26.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Pleasant conditions over in Moscow - Would sacrifice the rest of summer for 28C on Sunday! Still 28C is let’s just say dreamland given it’s only reached 21C once this month and that was on the first, might get our second 21C next Wednesday/Thursday. 

Posted
46 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Lol we’ve not enjoyed summer yet. Wait at least for another 7 weeks before talking about the decline into winter.

These coldies are something else aren’t they lol.

• Like 4

Posted
45 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Winter is fine, I just dislike all the hype and hyperbole that comes with it every single year! There's always one teleconnection dug out by somebody that means the odds are good for a cold one....and it just falls flat on its face pretty much every time! This year as we descend back into La Nina it's a sure sign of a 1987 redux...

Early 1987? Or late 1987?

I hope it’s not the latter one, which was a very mild winter.

Posted

Not UK related but I've been looking at the temperatures in Serbia, Albania, Macedonia etc recently. Absolutely bonkers. Nearly 40c every day for over a week now. 

Why is it if that was in the US /Canada or Aus certain parts of the media would be all over it. 

Yet, on our doorstep, in the grand scheme, not a word. 

Hmmm.....

Posted
36 minutes ago, markyo said:

That would be basically hell for working in i would find. Coupled with high night time temps. Give me good old UK summer's any day. 

With loads of cloud and no sun. Yeah a perfect summers day, not!

Posted
Just now, Wimbledon88 said:

Not UK related but I've been looking at the temperatures in Serbia, Albania, Macedonia etc recently. Absolutely bonkers. Nearly 40c every day for over a week now. 

Why is it if that was in the US /Canada or Aus certain parts of the media would be all over it. 

Yet, on our doorstep, in the grand scheme, not a word. 

Hmmm.....

Because Americans like to be the centre of attention. I rarely pay attention to what happens over there with their weather related stuff. 

Posted

If I was to rate the summer so far here i'd probably have to give it a 3 as well, maybe 3.5!

It only gets that high because of a pretty decent start to June, if it was based on the last 3-4 weeks it'd be a 1 out of 10 type job, its been that bad.

Today has probably been the best day of that entire period, decent spells of sunshine throughout, which only 1 other day has managed in that time period (could have been two but large convection blew up and ruined it!).

It is still relatively early doors in the summer though, should the rest of the summer end up significantly warmer/sunnier than that exceptionally poor period will probably just consigned to a very poor blip. 

By the way, we were talking last summer and the heatwave in August, just to show how exceptional that spell was, at least for the SE in particular:

image.thumb.png.baed92b2d16207a4c7520853bc76db26.png

I can see though why people in the north probably wouldn't have viewed as that extreme, given in was only really hot for maybe 2 days out of that period, otherwise it was warm but nothing too out of the ordinary. Still No denying that combined with the July 31st heat burst that got the 3rd warmest max ever it was still pretty exceptional

• Like 2