Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I was in San Fran in October 2014. It was actually quite hot for a few days, with temps around 30-32c, and although the nights were warm, they didn’t feel humid.

Maybe that was because it was late in the year, but the same thing happened in Chicago. October 2010 was 27-29c in the early part of that month, and while it felt hot in Chicago, I didn’t find myself sweating.

Perhaps the lakeshore air made it feel less humid, or because the air was more dry in October. Strange.

The good thing about California heat is it tends to be very dry. Not like the sticky humid heat that's you get in the UK. You also get a nice breeze off the sea in coastal areas.

1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

have to agree on the best summer weather...the summers months are very dry with average highs from June to end of October of 22c ..just perfect.

Yes it is hard to beat San Francisco summers for pleasant, dry, sunny (but not baking hot) weather. Summer in San Francisco is really from June to October. In fact seasons are different in San Francisco to most other places. I'd describe them as:

Spring: April and May

Summer: June to August

Indian Summer: September and October

Autumn: November to March

There is no real winter in San Francisco as the average high never drops below 13°C. Their winters are like a wet October in the UK. Snow over there is extremely rare, the only drawback of their climate imo.

if San Francisco summers are a bit cool then you can head south to the nearby San Diego where is he climate is a bit warmer with summers at 24°C and winters at 17°C. San Diego has one of the most comfortable climates in the world (and its not just me who says that).

Or if on or on the other hand if you’d like your summers really, really cool then there is then you can always head north to nearby Eureka or Half Moon Bay.

With an average high of around 18°C in summer and 13°C in winter it’s mild year round and in Eureka and Half Moon Bay.

Its also a little more foggy than San Francisco, and a bit wetter (particularly in Eureka), but there is still plenty of sunshine on offer and the vast majority of the rain falls between October and March, leaving the rest of the summer mostly rain free.

You won’t have to worry about heat waves either, as the record temperature has never even reached 32°C (90°F).

I should become a travel salesman for this area Lol.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
13 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Hope you’re right!  In fact I hope nowhere in the U.K. records 30°C this summer simply because it hasn’t happened for such a long time (not since 1993 I believe). It will also give the people with outdoor jobs a welcome break from the annual 30-38°C heat we get every year now.

I didn’t realise that. I check the weather for San Francisco and Eureka quite regularly and don’t remember any heatwaves last year. But the stats don’t lie. But even the most temperate place is liable to extreme heat waves occasionally. Like never screamer posted yesterday even Lapland recorded 33°C on Monday. So nowhere is safe from the heat. Unless you live on a remote island somewhere like the Faroe Islands (Torshavn record highest temp there is 20°C, but who’d want a Faroe Islands summer (except for Markyo)...  

I went to SFO a few years ago and it was bloody freezing in the mornings! The fog there is amazing though. I took this picture at the top of twin peaks looking over the city at just after 5pm in July. You can see the fog starting to roll in…..and within 5-10 minutes you couldn’t see a thing. Whole city covered, and it stays that way until mid morning and beyod the following day….the photo below is taken on the Alcatraz ferry at midday! It was about 13c!

image.thumb.jpeg.a7a2ea551c48d0526f3e1c0b27140aec.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.950fa8e4a8a5641b7a8fdeb7ca6ee772.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes, it is annoying the extreme SE bias the media has. It's as if anywhere outside the M25 doesn't exist.

It is surprising to see that bias on the BBC because part of it is in Media City, Salford, Gtr Manchester where June has been very dry.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Maybe becuase most people are just more in tune with our climate and have more realistic expectations maybe?

If they were in tune with our climate they would appreciate that UK climate is supposed to be characterised by changeable weather and high frequency variability, i.e. occasional sunny spells interspersed with one or two wet days, not locked in weather patterns bringing weeks or months of dry followed by weeks/months of rain. Parts of the SE in June had double the normal rainfall following a wet May and what has started as a wet July, which is if anything a deviation from the normal climate. After 15 months of COVID and finally some sign of restrictions being lifted, we really don't need another 2007/2012 style summer.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

There is no real winter in San Francisco as the average high never drops below 13°C. Their winters are like a wet October in the UK. Snow over there is extremely rare, the only drawback of their climate imo.

If you want snow, you can take a trip to the Sierra Nevada mountains. If you want extreme heat, there is always Death Valley. California may have something for all types of extremist.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, al78 said:

If you want snow, you can take a trip to the Sierra Nevada mountains. If you want extreme heat, there is always Death Valley. California may have something for all types of extremist.

Yes there is something for everyone in California. Extreme heat in the summer away from the coast. Cool sunny (sometimes foggy) summers by the coast. Cold and snowy up in the mountains. Extremely dry in summer.  Can be very wet in winter by the coast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes there is something for everyone in California. Extreme heat in the summer away from the coast. Cool sunny (sometimes foggy) summers by the coast. Cold and snowy up in the mountains. Extremely dry in summer.  Can be very wet in winter by the coast.

Yes some parts of California can be extremely wet in the Autumn and Winter. Crescent City in California averages a staggering 1,058mm over just those two seasons. Which is wetter than a lot of the Lake District and some parts of NW Scotland at that time of year. When I lived over there I was stunned to see it raining almost every day in northern California but often the south missed out. There was a saying that south of Interstate 80 and it's a lot drier in the fall & Winter.

Screenshot_20210708-012906.thumb.png.7bdacdcef3d78ccfad5049e434191759.png

13 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Hope you’re right!  In fact I hope nowhere in the U.K. records 30°C this summer simply because it hasn’t happened for such a long time (not since 1993 I believe). It will also give the people with outdoor jobs a welcome break from the annual 30-38°C heat we get every year now.

I didn’t realise that. I check the weather for San Francisco and Eureka quite regularly and don’t remember any heatwaves last year. But the stats don’t lie. But even the most temperate place is liable to extreme heat waves occasionally. Like never screamer posted yesterday even Lapland recorded 33°C on Monday. So nowhere is safe from the heat. Unless you live on a remote island somewhere like the Faroe Islands (Torshavn record highest temp there is 20°C, but who’d want a Faroe Islands summer (except for Markyo)...  

Ah bless, for all of the 5-10days per year at most they have to get though it and really for only those in the south east. Lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Ah bless, for all of the 5-10days per year at most they have to get though it and really for only those in the south east. Lol 

37BD1CAC-8867-418B-B9FB-20731042500F.jpeg

Posted

This is for East Lancashire.

I don't think we get that much heat during the summer, that people should complain about a week or so of 30c heat.

I will gladly take that over the mucky low 20s and cloud we have been so frequently subjected to. It's so god awful and depressing when theres no sunshine. It doesn't feel like summer.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

This is for East Lancashire.

I don't think we get that much heat during the summer, that people should complain about a week or so of 30c heat.

I will gladly take that over the mucky low 20s and cloud we have been so frequently subjected to. It's so god awful and depressing when theres no sunshine. It doesn't feel like summer.

People will complain about it if it is uncomfortable for them, irrelevant if it "only" lasts a week. Getting slapped in the face only lasts a fraction of a second but you'd certainly complain about it.

Having woken up to yet another day of dullness and light rain, 30C is looking more appealing even though I find it unpleasant at times.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Responses like this really say more about you than them.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
19 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think the problem is that Londonders have been spoilt too much in recent years. I remember being on another forum in 2017, and the people from the SE were constantly boasting "oh another lovely day in London, we really are being spolit this year" while I got mid-teens temps and lots of rain. It got really irritating actually, the tables had to turn at some point, good luck runs out sooner or later

Yes this is completely true tbh. We have had a good run of Summers these last few years, despite the naysayers, and I know that because I can recall over the last 5 years, since I started my current job back in 2015, leaving at about 8.00am in the Morning for my commute and from May - Sept it nearly ALWAYS (like 7 - 9/10 times) being a clear, sunny morning on my walk to the train station. Some clouds might bubble up during the day and it gets a bit humid but then by the time I'm going home for work it's clearing again and I have the same thing, a clear and sunny walk home. This was standard fair for Summer in London over the past few years, outside of the odd days where we get a summer thunderstorm (often in August). 

I'm actually glad for the folk up North, especially North-West who have had a decent run of Summer thus far in terms of sunlight. I wish it wouldn't be at the expense of the rrest of the country however...ideally we would all get 'sunny' weather during Summer, but the South obviously having the slightly warmer temps due to location. That would be the ideal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
16 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

We need some heat and sunshine.

I can’t wait to head to Latvian and see the in laws. They are having a better summer over there. Lots of days of high 20s, lovely.

SE England hasn’t had a lot of heat this year, and I don’t know why the anti-heat folk keep going on about how uncomfortable it is, even in the absence of any hot weather lol.

The Baltics generally have fantastic summers. I was surprised when I learned that. Not too warm like the Med can get, just about right IMO. Their winters are proper winters too, not ridiculously brutal but crisp, snowy, clear... I went to Tallinn in Feb a few years back and it was about -5 or so, but just lovely when you wrap up. Likewise, I've been to Lithuania in Summer and it was consistent mid 20s every day for my 7 day trip. It's nice to be somewhere where, in July, you can just wake up and be reassured that its going to be sunny and you can actually do outdoor plans. 

The weather has ben considerably cooler in the SE than average, like 5+ degrees cooler, on average for June (outside of that 1 very hot week) and July. And let's not even talk about May! Generally by July, I start sleeping downstairs - even without there needing to be a 'heatwave' - because it gets so hot in my house upstairs its uncomfortable. It's generally when I mentally go "'it's high summer now". But this year, I'm still upstairs by nearly mid-July and haven't stopped wearing t-shirts to sleep!

Posted
16 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think my prediction was right earlier in the year when I said we won’t reach 35c or even 32c this summer.

That wouldn't be unsurprising. To be at almost mid-July in London and not have had a single 30c day is very unusual. We still have August though which often delivers a mix of thunderstorms and heatwaves these days down South. However, this year being what it is, anything could happen.

Posted
16 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Yes this is completely true tbh. We have had a good run of Summers these last few years, despite the naysayers, and I know that because I can recall over the last 5 years, since I started my current job back in 2015, leaving at about 8.00am in the Morning for my commute and from May - Sept it nearly ALWAYS (like 7 - 9/10 times) being a clear, sunny morning on my walk to the train station. Some clouds might bubble up during the day and it gets a bit humid but then by the time I'm going home for work it's clearing again and I have the same thing, a clear and sunny walk home. This was standard fair for Summer in London over the past few years, outside of the odd days where we get a summer thunderstorm (often in August). 

I'm actually glad for the folk up North, especially North-West who have had a decent run of Summer thus far in terms of sunlight. I wish it wouldn't be at the expense of the rrest of the country however...ideally we would all get 'sunny' weather during Summer, but the South obviously having the slightly warmer temps due to location. That would be the ideal.

Yeah ok, I’m one of those naysayers from London. 

My issue with cloud bubbling up is, you end up with the majority of the day being dull and grey, then it goes back to clear and sunny by 8pm. That seems like a waste to me.

For a decent summer, it needs to be sunny for most of the day. 

A slightly cooler version of 2018 would be lovely, but summers of 15,16,17,19 and 20 contained far too many dull and gloomy days.  2017 was probably the best out of those years for sunshine, when it actually did come out, but mid July to mid august was particularly bad.

We are overdue a nice long sunny spell in between June, July and august I feel.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

That wouldn't be unsurprising. To be at almost mid-July in London and not have had a single 30c day is very unusual. We still have August though which often delivers a mix of thunderstorms and heatwaves these days down South. However, this year being what it is, anything could happen.

I think the storms will happen, but nothing over 31c this summer. 

Most summers since 1982 have recorded a 30-32c at least. 

Posted

Red heat warning in effect here today, only the second time I've ever seen that happen (the other was in August 2017). The forecast was for 38C but that will be difficult to achieve with most stations in the area "only" at 30-31C at 11am (Slovenský Grob is the warmest local station at 32.6C).

Mužla in the south of the country is worth keeping an eye on. It's already 35.0C there! (the same location reached 38.0C a couple of weeks ago) 

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

(Torshavn record highest temp there is 20°C, but who’d want a Faroe Islands summer (except for Markyo)

Ah my utopia...i better get house hunting! Sounds perfect!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

There’s been a few comments that 30C has not been breached this year? Surely somewhere in Southeast England breached that in early June no?

Edited by Northwest NI

Well even the supposed ‘good day’ of the week is turning out rubbish. Started of ok but we are back to BAU summer 2021 weather, heavily overcast and light rain. Absolutely terrible. 

Edit, it’s absolutely throwing it down! 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, al78 said:

Responses like this really say more about you than them.

Did someone get out of bed the wrong side today? 

What Alderc said humorously was correct, if you’re a heat hater then the UK climate is near perfect with very little to whine about (of course, doesn’t stop many on here, but there we go).

• Like 1

Posted

Nice morning here and 24°C but clouding over. Another severe thunderstorm warning out for this evening and overnight, turning into quite a lively storm season here! Certainly no boring Atlantic cool, grey drivel

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I’m confused... it’s July 2021 and it’s been sunny for three whole hours! ??‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1