Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 22/07/2021 at 18:51, Sunny76 said:

I hope there’s another hot spell during the second half of august, because by September, the sun starts to lose its power, and the chill of autumn and shift really starts to take effect.

Indeed, me too, because September rarely delivers good weather if there hasn’t been a good spell in August. Only 2014 comes to mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
22 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed, me too, because September rarely delivers good weather if there hasn’t been a good spell in August. Only 2014 comes to mind.

There have been plenty of good Septembers that followed poor/mediocre Augusts in recent years. 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

There have been plenty of good Septembers that followed poor/mediocre Augusts in recent years. 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018.

September 2011 was poor apart from the heatwave in the last few days, August 2016 was generally good, and August 2018 featured a lot of fine weather. So again, 2014 is the only real example here.

We mustn’t label months as good because of just a few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

September 2011 was poor apart from the heatwave in the last few days,

That was a remarkable heatwave and one I shall never forget. The good thing about heatwaves occuring at that time of the year (as well as during May) is that they don't have the mugginess of heatwaves which occur during July and August. The temp climbed up to 28 Celsius in my neck of the woods on the 30th of that month as well as into October, yet it didn't feel particularly uncomfortable. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

That was a remarkable heatwave and one I shall never forget. The good thing about heatwaves occuring at that time of the year (as well as during May) is that they don't have the mugginess of heatwaves which occur during July and August. The temp climbed up to 28 Celsius in my neck of the woods on the 30th of that month as well as into October, yet it didn't feel particularly uncomfortable. 

Indeed, I think the lack of sun strength also helped. Probably the only occasion I remember sitting outside in this country at 8pm, dark, but feeling like summer!

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

September is often the UK's most benign month, the summer heat still remains locked in the land, SST's at their yearly maxim.. It's a pleasant month, but I find it the most 'trying' and least interesting overall.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Has anyone else noticed that since that heatwave of last week finished on Saturday, the annual autumn spider invasion has resumed with a vengeance? ?️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
7 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Has anyone else noticed that since that heatwave of last week finished on Saturday, the annual autumn spider invasion has resumed with a vengeance? ?️

Wouldn't that be a summer spider invasion?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Feeling a bit autumnal today and the future outlook isn't looking great.. Is that it for summer 2021?!

I do love the leaf fall and first frosty mornings of autumn but not looking forward to months of drab weather

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 29/07/2021 at 05:29, Turnedoutniceagain said:

8.2c @ 5am - in July !! Has Autumn kicked off already?

Morning @Turnedoutniceagain
Yes, I noticed that it was a tad backendish out this morning. Bring it on!! 

• Like 2

Posted
On 26/07/2021 at 19:05, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes, also the fact that the days are shorter so the heat tends to peak earlier in the day, say 3 pm rather than 5/6 pm like in high summer, and it going darker earlier gives the house much longer to cool down, compared to high summer when the sun is still streaming through my north facing bedroom at 9 pm. The sun is also weaker as well, so even with high temps, it feels more of a gentle warmth rather than the intense hot sun you get between 11am - 3 pm in June and July.

On 26/07/2021 at 22:14, damianslaw said:

September is often the UK's most benign month, the summer heat still remains locked in the land, SST's at their yearly maxim.. It's a pleasant month, but I find it the most 'trying' and least interesting overall.

We've had quite a few medicore/poor Septembers in recent years though, 2017 was especially awful. Extremely wet with barely any warmth.

On 27/07/2021 at 08:00, Dangerous55019 said:

No, thank goodness. I don't usually start noticing spiders until October here.

On 27/07/2021 at 15:49, Stabilo19 said:

Feeling a bit autumnal today and the future outlook isn't looking great.. Is that it for summer 2021?!

I do love the leaf fall and first frosty mornings of autumn but not looking forward to months of drab weather

Yes it certainly has turned autumnal, esspecially up here! This day last week it was 28C and mostly sunny here in East Lancs, today, it's currently 13C, windy and drizzly. Like a typical October day here.

Yesterday I had heavy downpours all day, some torrential with a few rumbles of thunder as well and barely any sun. At one point the temperature dropped to 11.5C!  Felt proper chilly and damp. 

In a week we've gone from summer heat to proper autumn. Very typical of recent summers to go from one extreme to the other.

It doesn't bother me too much though, and I prefer it to heat, it was about 16C and raining here on Tuesday evening, went out in shorts, a t-shirt and a light rain jacket and felt perfectly comfortable, we're made of strong stuff up here!  

The indoor temp is also gradually dropping, 23C on tuesday, 22C yesterday and 21C today. So still comfortable enough, though I've currently got a onesie and slippers on! Woke up a bit chilly with just a thin sheet on so put on my light goose feather summer duvet which should hopefully be warm enough.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

8.2c @ 5am - in July !! Has Autumn kicked off already?

10.7C was the miniumum here, but even that's chilly compared to the mild nights we've had for most of this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 27/07/2021 at 08:00, Dangerous55019 said:

Not yet thankfully; not until late August usually. Spider season is the one thing I dread about the onset of autumn. Otherwise I love it. Fortunately though, I have found a way to help keep the spiders down which seems to work a treat for me. Peppermint works wonders.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Not yet thankfully; not until late August usually. Spider season is the one thing I dread about the onset of autumn. Otherwise I love it. Fortunately though, I have found a way to help keep the spiders down which seems to work a treat for me. Peppermint works wonders.

Sorry if I'm going off on a tangent, alas I have spiders in my flat year round. Large daddy long legs.. and I just leave them alone, let them so there own thing. They are great to have, eat bugs, flies etc.. 

The house spiders usually arrive late summer. Not such a fan of them.. but all spiders I leave alone.

Its the wasps not a fan of, they go all drunk in August, landing in your drink, buzzing around for a sugar fix..

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Sorry if I'm going off on a tangent, alas I have spiders in my flat year round. Large daddy long legs.. and I just leave them alone, let them so there own thing. They are great to have, eat bugs, flies etc.. 

The house spiders usually arrive late summer. Not such a fan of them.. but all spiders I leave alone.

Its the wasps not a fan of, they go all drunk in August, landing in your drink, buzzing around for a sugar fix..

Wasps are pesky little creatures aren't they? I am certainly no fan of those either. I sometimes worry about one coming into my house when I have my window open.

• Like 1

Posted

It's wet,  there's mist and fog drifting in across the hills and fields, plus a threat of gales for some later; it's just a foretaste of what's to come and it's absolutely glorious. ☁️?️?️

• Like 3

Posted
48 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

It's wet,  there's mist and fog drifting in across the hills and fields, plus a threat of gales for some later; it's just a foretaste of what's to come and it's absolutely glorious. ☁️?️?️

I'm loving it

• Like 1

Posted
On 30/07/2021 at 09:00, Turnedoutniceagain said:

I'm loving it

@TurnedoutniceagainYou’re a man after me own heart. ?????

Posted

as summer has passed us by we might as well enjoy autumn, see berries are forming on bushes and fruit is ripening in trees lovely, just bring on the gold and russet colored leaves green can get boring after the first flush of spring.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

32-33c for the next few days here...however Autumn will arrive here long before it does in the UK..less than a month now

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Aren't they just crane flies though? If they can fly they are not a spider imo. I agree about wasps, horrible, annoying creatures, always scared I'm going to get stung.

15 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Wasps are pesky little creatures aren't they? I am certainly no fan of those either. I sometimes worry about one coming into my house when I have my window open.

The worst thing about summer for me, esspeically late Summer, though I've seen wasps as early as April during periods of warm weather.

1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

32-33c for the next few days here...however Autumn will arrive here long before it does in the UK..less than a month now

It's currently 14C, thick cloud and gloomy here. It doesn't get much more autumnal than that. Only thing that's missing is the early nights and the leaves falling.

Must admit, as much as I disliked the heat and sunshine last week, I'm feeling rather depressed today due to the lack of sun and warmth. I'm not ready for autumn just yet!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, suffolk lady said:

as summer has passed us by we might as well enjoy autumn, see berries are forming on bushes and fruit is ripening in trees lovely, just bring on the gold and russet colored leaves green can get boring after the first flush of spring.

It’s not over yet. We still have August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

That first morning opening the front door to a lovely fresh clean sharp intake of really cold air is approaching, nothing can beat it, that rush of cold fridged air up ones shorts leg certainly wakes one up!!

• Like 3