Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

I see Jo has an article about snow round London. An observation from old father time Back in the sixties and seventies our local roads were pre salted and ploughed  by the council from 5.00am onwards if snow forecast so snow was easily ploughed and roads cleared long before school bus and commuters  went round. Now you are lucky to see a plough /gritter by 11.00am and all they do is polish the surface especially at these temperatures.  I blame the bean counters for  this Surely its better economics to keep everything flowing freely and keeping a few extra ploughs in store should be looked on as insurance cost and not a capital cost. Our side roads yesterday were just sheet ice and the cars skid symbol was on a lot.

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

👀

animbxj0.thumb.gif.5d705c099f1978ba3a5e5bbf7835c811.gifCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Land, Sea, Water, Plot, Chart, Mountain, Person

FI still at the moment but I would gladly take that followed by a return to the fridge the following week 

• Like 3

Posted

Any thoughts about this system on Friday....

“Moving in from the west off the Atlantic bring some sleet and snow across Scotland, rain towards western coasts. Could bring several centimetres in places, which may lead to travel disruption”

Could contain: Page, Text, Plot, Chart, Vegetation, Plant, Outdoors

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Dundeeguy said:

Any thoughts about this system on Friday....

“Moving in from the west off the Atlantic bring some sleet and snow across Scotland, rain towards western coasts. Could bring several centimetres in places, which may lead to travel disruption”

Could contain: Page, Text, Plot, Chart, Vegetation, Plant, Outdoors

A difficult one this far out but one I'm following. It's  a potentially very snowy weekend (and possibly into the start of the new week) with a good chance of those missing out so far taking part - or it could be very sleety for low ground! 

Edit: GFS12Z for example looks more like rain from the breakdown than snow for most, potential for a bit of snow on Friday for Western/Central areas though. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Snow frozen solid in ruts so we havent gone out at all. Gritter just came up the cul de sac now so might get out tomorrow. To be -6 tonight. Keeping the heating on, not goin to freeze my ass off for any tory govt 😠

Not freezing mine off for them either 😆 However my Mum up the hill was this morning as her poxy boiler decided not to fire up. Ice in the oil says the man, well bloody service it properly this time.

Max temp here today was about -3C, dropping again now.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
17 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Very cold day after a -4c start. Ice days are exceptionally rare here on the coast  but we weren’t far off one with a max of just 0.6c. Now back down to -1.5c.

Just a bit further inland we did manage our first ice day with a max of -1.4C. Back roads are very icy with that frozen slush away from the town centre and of course Broughty Ferry and the river.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Latest Met updates not the greatest , temps returning  nearer normal , hopefully still cold enough for our Ski resorts to open and stay open.

• Like 4

Posted

I see Jo has an article about snow round London. An observation from old father time Back in the sixties and seventies our local roads were pre salted and ploughed  by the council from 5.00am onwards if snow forecast so snow was easily ploughed and roads cleared long before school bus and commuters  went round. Now you are lucky to see a plough /gritter by 11.00am and all they do is polish the surface especially at these temperatures.  I blame the bean counters for  this Surely its better economics to keep everything flowing freely and keeping a few extra ploughs in store should be looked on as insurance cost and not a capital cost. Our side roads yesterday were just sheet ice and the cars skid symbol was on a lot.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, paget said:

i thought I’d lurked long enough and would say hi!  I live in Tullynessle, Alford (moved here a year ago from England!!) 

Hi neighbour, what's the chances of that, although around here neighbor is often a relative term, you could be miles away. 

-8c at the house this morning, widely that all the way to Alford, except pockets of -11/12c on the commute, including Alford itself. Again widely -5/6C on the drive home but down to -9C in Alford. Currently -7.4C here on the hill with a max for the day of -4.3C.

The great plan to leave the snow shovels and grit in the greenhouse to avoid having to take the garage keys out failed spectacularly this morning when the greenhouse door was frozen shut. Got it open when I got home, and being left open. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
3 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to their text forecast, especially just now, it's been flip flopping all over the place and is at logger heads with their own latest DET run from the 12Z. The output is very volatile regarding the weekend and beyond and not by any means set in stone. The outcome of that will have obvious knock on effects further down the line. 

They only mention Normal temps for the period after Xmas into the new year, that's so far away and the 15-30 dayer has literally been guff as it constantly changes as the models change. It's more reactive to what the models show and as signals and models change, so the does their longer range text forecast. I take zero notice of it. Its basically a commentary of what the models and background signals suggest at long range.... which can be picked up just the same in the MOD thread. We'd never trust a model 3 weeks in advance so there can be little foundation in what they say given that they react to the majority of the same things we see across the various models and signals. 

I know they are also suggesting it becomes milder as of this coming Sunday but they don't mention any geography with that as in it may become much milder in the south and maybe only marginally so in the north. The latest MetO and ICON say that we will still be cold as of Sunday. Very interesting ECM tonight, if it sides with the 12Z UKMO then it would be an intriguing development for extending the cold to some degree.

Yep agree with your thoughts on the 15-30 day as its very rarely correct 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
23 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Hi neighbour, what's the chances of that, although around here neighbor is often a relative term, you could be miles away. 

-8c at the house this morning, widely that all the way to Alford, except pockets of -11/12c on the commute, including Alford itself. Again widely -5/6C on the drive home but down to -9C in Alford. Currently -7.4C here on the hill with a max for the day of -4.3C.

The great plan to leave the snow shovels and grit in the greenhouse to avoid having to take the garage keys out failed spectacularly this morning when the greenhouse door was frozen shut. Got it open when I got home, and being left open. 

Hi 
Your posts about the roads have been very helpful, thanks! It’s certainly been interesting getting in the car the last couple of days!!!! 

we live at the end of a farmers track which is very frozen, lots of huge ruts from the tractors which are now frozen!!! We live next to Terpersie Farm if you know that. 

-9.8 now! 

Edited by paget
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Maxed out at -3c and was -5c at 5pm... its gonna be a really cold night tonight...wouldnt be surprised is a -20c is seen in more than one place overnight..

• Like 6