Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Always wait longingly for this day, the earliest sunset of the year.

Today it's 15.37, but tomorrow you'll enjoy an additional minute of late sunshine until 15.38, then getting marginally later day after day.

Downside is that this improvement doesn't apply to mornings, with daybreak continuing to get later until early next year.

• Like 8

Posted

Just squeezing inside the warning area 😍

temperature looks cold even down at sea level with snow forecasted for coastal areas too. 

will this be a widespread snow event?  Even areas outside the warning area looking like getting a good covering.

Guarantee the Central belt is going to grind to a halt as usual 😢

Could contain: Text, Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics

Edited by Dundeeguy
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
2 hours ago, Ross B said:

Warning out for Friday  😀 It has trended north a little but it wouldn't take much of a nudge south to bring us into the larger snow amounts here...

Outbreaks of sleet and snow will spread across much of southern, central and western Scotland through Friday. 1-3 cm of snow is likely in places below 200 metres, with 5-8 cm possible above 200 metres south of the Central Belt. Over high ground north of the Central Belt, there is potential for 10-20cm to accumulate above 200 metres through Friday. Later in the day, snow at low levels will likely turn to rain. In addition to the snow, sleet or rain may fall onto frozen surfaces leading to some icy conditions.

h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

Ah man that tweet from Met Office showing the snaw coming in was a slight letdown for us, dosen't extend south enough to cover Glasgow but as you say hopefully nudge south to get us involved too! 🤞

Edited by Bullseye
Link to tweet
  • Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Ah man that tweet from Met Office showing the snaw coming in was a slight letdown for us, dosen't extend south enough to cover Glasgow but as you say hopefully nudge south to get us involved too! 🤞

Yep, although I wouldn't be too disheartened as although the precip barely goes south of Glasgow on that image they have the warning all the way down to the border and across to the east coast. UKV has it over us between about 8am and lunchtime then potentially more bursts later in the day. My concern is that it may be sleet or freezing rain though! One for the radar on the day I think.  If it does hit those areas as snow then that's potentially an amber warning given it covers the M77/M8 and others at peak travel time!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Land, Person

Big difference to the latest GFS though which takes it even further north and only just reaches the central belt by about 3-6pm!

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Wind really picking up now with some decent drifting in the stronger gusts - some reasonable drifts already formed across the road when I came home an hour ago. 

Could get a bit lively when the heavier snow showers come through later. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
1 hour ago, Dundeeguy said:

Just squeezing inside the warning area 😍

temperature looks cold even down at sea level with snow forecasted for coastal areas too. 

will this be a widespread snow event?  Even areas outside the warning area looking like getting a good covering.

Guarantee the Central belt is going to grind to a halt as usual 😢

Could contain: Text, Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics

Got it turning to rain very quickly on low ground in central belt 🙄

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
48 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Yep, although I wouldn't be too disheartened as although the precip barely goes south of Glasgow on that image they have the warning all the way down to the border and across to the east coast. UKV has it over us between about 8am and lunchtime then potentially more bursts later in the day. My concern is that it may be sleet or freezing rain though! One for the radar on the day I think.  If it does hit those areas as snow then that's potentially an amber warning given it covers the M77/M8 and others at peak travel time!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Land, Person

Big difference to the latest GFS though which takes it even further north and only just reaches the central belt by about 3-6pm!

Starts to cry.

The cracking weather continues down here, totally sunny clear conditions. 
Yesterday a ‘high’ of -2.3c (second coldest of this spell), low of -6.1c.

Today currently -0.4c so a 4th ‘ice’ day looks likely.

Even the river Nith is starting to freeze in areas with the most shade. Gorgeous weather but looks like the dry weather is set to end. Here comes the rain! (At least the hills should stay White)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 5

Posted

Not sure how reliable ICON is for precipitation but does show something for large part of Scotland on Friday. More of a nudge south meaning snow further south into central belt and down towards Ayr. Tracks further east too bringing Perth/Fife into firing line towards lunchtime Friday. North of central belt looks to be the place on this run. 

ARPEGE looking good too, pushes the front further east also. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Sea, Water, Vegetation, Land, Atlas

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Vegetation, Plant, Atlas, Sea, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Sea, Water, Face, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Land, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Map

Edited by Bullseye
ARPEGE added
  • Like 7

Posted
15 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Not sure how reliable ICON is for precipitation but does show something for large part of Scotland on Friday. More of a nudge south meaning snow further south into central belt and down towards Ayr. Tracks further east too bringing Perth/Fife into firing line towards lunchtime Friday. North of central belt looks to be the place on this run. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Sea, Water, Vegetation, Land, Atlas

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Vegetation, Plant, Atlas, Sea, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Sea, Water, Face, Person

Oh deary me. That'll never do for here 😂🤣

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Oh deary me. That'll never do for here 😂🤣

Not all is lost for you! Latest ARPEGE pushes some towards yourself during Friday morning/early afternoon. I'm rooting for ICON run, your rooting for ARPEGE, I know what one I'd rather trust 😂

Scrap that, we are both rooting for UKV per @lorenzo post 😂

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Not all is lost for you! Latest ARPEGE pushes some towards yourself during Friday morning/early afternoon. I'm rooting for ICON run, your rooting for ARPEGE, I know what one I'd rather trust 😂

Scrap that, we are both rooting for UKV per @lorenzo post 😂

Yep, apart from the slither of sleet over our area 😆

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Yep, apart from the slither of sleet over our area 😆

Not sure what you are talking about there ... 😉

Could contain: White Board

• Like 2