Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
28 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Balmy 8c here in Kilmarnock 

Light snow falling here in the sunshine, one of the benefits of the stronger sun is that there are more showers around.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, drm said:

It's fine powdery stuff too, the dps have finally dropped below 0c here the - 9c 850hpa is covering most of scotland now. Temp currently 1.6c after being 4.7c an hour ago. 

Numbers based on what info please?  The 850hPa -9C isotherm has reached Lerwick from the north at midday.  At the same time it was -5 near Hadrians Wall.

• Like 2

Posted

another heavy snow shower rattling through Altens (Aberdeen) just now. Some snow settling on the grass, but I suspect that it will be melted again shortly as the sun pokes through! It doesn't feel cold enough yet for anything to start laying properly.  Hopefully once the sun sets and temps begin to drop that might help.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
6 minutes ago, dryfie said:

Numbers based on what info please?  The 850hPa -9C isotherm has reached Lerwick from the north at midday.  At the same time it was -5 near Hadrians Wall.

Should have typed a 6 instead of a 9 😂, dps more important in these situations I'd say 

• Like 2

Posted

Some heftier showers coming through  now with hail and snow settling.oCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Cloud, Cumulus, Soil, Gravel, Road, Groundj

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 hours ago, Ross B said:

so we could do with a slight shift back south 

2 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

WTF!!!!!!

Special mention for the central belt too!!!

30-40cm 😳😳😳😳😳

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

Could contain: Page, Text, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone

There's a key difference to this setup which is its unlikely to be a singular event which could increase the severity, Ross' point is a great one too as a high percentage of the time you'll see as the day of the event gets closer things pan out slightly further south than original expectations which is actually a win-win for us in all likelihood. There's a whole bunch to work out including the depth of the 1st low but scope is certainly here for some historic level falls 

animqkt5.gif animxgy7.gif

animgwc4.gif

something akin to this is what I'm mentioning 

animsgt4.gif 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Dew point   -1.8c here.   Didn't expect that to be so low at this point?   Not that I understand it fully!  I mean i've only been on here since 2004! 😏

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Heavy snaw showers on and off leaving a covering thats quickly disappears after the shower stops. I suspect once darkness comes and the temperature drops away it will settle and stay.

I've noticed the radar is stuck at 13:55.. so can't see whats going on with the showers, rather annoying.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, Jamiescot1 said:

Hoping lots of us guys get pasted on Friday 🤞 , Always gets on my nerves in the MAD thread it’s like Scotland don’t exist lol. 
would love to rub salt in the wounds if that low keeps north 😂

So they're expected to be interested in the weather hundreds of miles away? The whole NW forum likely has x100 more people from SE England than from Scotland, they're always going to fill every corner with their parochial crap, just like Central Belters do in Scottish forums.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

^^ with apologies if that sounds a bit sharp.

Anyway, it's snowing a fair bit here but despite forecast low dewpoints, nothing is settling. I guess everything is just too warm. In December and January, the sun would be at or below the horizon now...

• Like 2

Posted

First out of the blocks in the snow depth stakes is Lerwick, with 10cm.  Then Altnaharra with 3cm (moderate snow at 1600, just below zero).  Maybe Baltasound don't have a depth sensor installed?

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 🥶

Friday looking interesting if it stalls could be an "event"

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

So they're expected to be interested in the weather hundreds of miles away? The whole NW forum likely has x100 more people from SE England than from Scotland, they're always going to fill every corner with their parochial crap, just like Central Belters do in Scottish forums.

Jings.  There are about 5 people in that whole area.

PS.  Did someone say Snow?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

We saw some snow flurries today on our dog walk at Bracklin Falls in Callander. Fab day though, cold with blue skies and the odd flurry (snow equivalent of drizzle). Stopped off for a nosy at the Red Well on the return leg, Mr Snowidea thought it would be a good idea to stick his hand under the trickle of water then smear his head with it. Unfortunately for him the water really is red and left a lurid and tenacious orange stain on his forehead, so he spent the next three hours looking like a sunbed victim 

Could contain: Rock, Animal, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet, Tomb, Gravestone

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Got home to find a decent covering of snow that certainly wasn't there this morning. Most hills surrounding Alford looking white at least part way up, and selected spots on the commute have obviously caught heavier showers through the day than others. 

Currently - 1.0C, dp - 1.8C, and snowing again. 

• Like 9

Posted

A dusting of snow around the house with temperatures slightly below zero. At this point, a yellow warning feels over the top. See what tomorrow brings.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Good three inches of powdery snow here which is readily drifting. Icicles everywhere too.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Thursday  6pm - 12am   (snow)   C3.7 mm   997.8 mb   Moderate breeze from east12 mph

Friday   12am - 6am   (snow)   13.4 mm   994.3 mb   Moderate breeze from east north east15 mph   Looks impressive and it would have been had it been in cms!   What is that in English?🙄😄  I make it around 3/4"  Or is there a difference with snow measurement?  I must have missed that day at school.   Can't think where I would be!😏

Anyhoo,  It's a first for the Fife station throwing their predictions into the ring!

Oh...wait a minute... Snow depth is measured using a snow depth sensor which measures the distance from the sensor and the ground beneath it  An ultrasonic transducer transmits pulses and listens for the returning echoes from the surface!!...  which is...  

One o' them...

Could contain: Grass, Plant, Field, Outdoors

• Like 3