Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Never seen rain like this lot. Woke up a few times through the night by the roar of it! Still heavy this morning with absolute torrents off and on. Think they'll be getting worried up in Ettrick & Yarrow, and Hawick of course. Awful bloody summer.

• Like 6

Posted

More or less a repeat of last night. Cloud built from the North rain heading in looks heavier than last night too but not quite as black as it was

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, NUT said:

More or less a repeat of last night. Cloud built from the North rain heading in looks heavier than last night too but not quite as black as it was

Yep, yet again massive intense shower to the east. Light rain here. 

• Like 3

Posted

Met office text forecast of mostly dry with a few light showers this evening... Rain currently bouncing down and has been for about an hour 🤣 (to be fair UKV didn't show this much rain)

Could contain:

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looking a bit more lively now. Thank goodness as my twins are round at their pals round the corner doing some sort of outside karaoke. Soon to be rained off. Yass. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Red bit incoming. Anyone think the met office radar reminds you of Minecraft.? Bit blocky. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
On 25/08/2023 at 22:21, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Didn't have the time to do an outlook for today but certainly looked interesting even from a few days in advance, I'll start with a look into the parameters, reports and add my captures from my vantage point

Friday 25th August 2023

Funnel [poss tornado event(s)]

Scotland is in the centre of a developing low, nothing extraordinary in terms of depth of pressure but you always get a bit more spin in the atmosphere and given favourable interaction with available parameters we've seen a great example of what becomes possible. Relatively cold 500hpa temperatures too.

animobu3.gif 

Don't pay too much attention to the time as that can sometimes be a bit wayward, I know the boundary developed through Central > Northeastern Fife from roughly 2pm til after 4pm, here's the vorticity (spin) that was modelled

animvga7.gif

You always get the most insights on the soundings, these from around Glenrothes pretty moist profile, relatively low shear I could see this being a decent match for low shear high CAPE setup. The most important focal areas in this instance are the hodograph and particularly the storm slinky

2pm sondagewrf-438-260-2-10-1692994521.png 3pm sondagewrf-438-260-3-10-1692994544.png

Now 4pm is when the reports really start of the Funnel > possible tornado in Glenrothes 

sondagewrf-438-260-4-10-1692994583.png

Note the sharp turning on the storm slinky and a bit of curvature evident in the hodograph which is a common ingredient in Funnel- tornado setups.

Multiple convergence zones and fronts were present throughout Scotland 

20230825-1850-PPVA89.png

First shot here is the best I've seen so far of the Glenrothes event, cracker 🤩

My viewpoint as the boundary setup through Central Fife

20230825-151520.jpg

20230825-151527.jpg

20230825-151559.jpg

20230825-151833.jpg

20230825-151848.jpg

20230825-152115.jpg

As a developing wall cloud began

20230825-152506.jpg

20230825-152737.jpg

Later there was fresh developing cells moving into the Forth

20230825-170220.jpg

20230825-170050.jpg

Good topographic lift yesterday stretching across the Pentlands 

20230826-154748.jpg

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

A damp morning with occasional outbreaks of drizzle.

Better afternoon with some warm spells of sunshine, light winds and a max of 16c.

Lots of lovely "tufty" clouds this evening...

tf1.thumb.jpg.ed9769108d35b9e9d73c4441222eaf6a.jpg

tf3.thumb.jpg.38a6c31e638d2ecac6c71a9d1d25b20a.jpg

tf2.thumb.jpg.e6dea72595170e46ebf93ac8d2e32b0e.jpg

tf4.thumb.jpg.e8fc4e4ad9b1c3889799bb256131c999.jpg

tf5.thumb.jpg.0195dcec278ad6e415edcca2b90142fd.jpg

tf6.thumb.jpg.dedd5e5d636a239304f9685fb8707e47.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all, been a wee while since I've been on here, but nowt much to report. Crappy day today, dull and miserable, but no rain yet, although it's not far away. Skye still heaving wi' camper vans and the like, I'll be glad when Autumn arrives! Quite cool now although the weather station tells me it's 19c ootbye. I dinnae think so, I've got my fleece on and am contemplating lighting a fire! 🔥🥶🙄

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Another uninspiring August day here, mostly cloudy although at least it was dry, unlike yesterday when I got soaked walking the coastal path (forecast was a bust). Definitely a month to forget, I see Eskdalemuir is sitting on the grand total of 54 hours of sunshine so far! 😊

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
On 28/08/2023 at 07:53, carinthian said:

Making the news again , a long way from home. The Loch Ness Monster making an appearance in the sky above Sussex yesterday !

C

c

Could contain:

These are known as Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds 😉🤠

SKYBRARY.AERO

Description Kelvin-Helmholtz waves are vertical waves in the atmosphere generated by wind shear. If enough moisture is present, a characteristic cloud, the Kelvin-Helmholtz wave cloud...

_127937254_screenshot2022-12-08at2.04.30
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A weather expert says it is one of the most epic examples of the cloud formations they have ever seen.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Good bright spells today with just a couple of light showers pm. Light NNW breeze. The super blue moon looking across towatds NE Fife from Riverside, Dundee.

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I had no idea there was anything special going on with the moon last night, but did take a pic cause it looked cool. 
48B5EC55-3B77-48C3-9135-96338DC9EEEA.thumb.jpeg.91fe81ebebd692a1f5ed37641811ead3.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

With it being the last day of August we are solidly into the ‘Dog days’ of summer. I’m more and more sympathetic with the idea that seasons are based around the period between the solstices and the equinoxes, rather than strictly three month periods. Would be more than delighted if summer made a wee reappearance during September.

• Like 4

Posted

Cloudy skies have not cleared at all next week though lookkng cracking maybe best we had since June 

• Like 4

Posted

It's been very pleasant here for the last few days with lots if blue skies and unbroken warm sunshine. I was surprised to see a light frost on the grass at first light today though which fits in with minus 2 being recorded further inland. 

Could contain:

Edited by Snowandrocks
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Very useable few days.

Cold start today with heavy dew everywhere and a dodgy Lidl thermometer low of 3.0c.

Max of 19c with plenty of sunshine and calm conditions.

image.thumb.png.28ddcda698e974abdd9ad7ce77582f5d.png

See a aurora alert has been issued for tomorrow night, forecast is clear skies so fingers crossed (and a wish for a decent breeze to negate any mist chances).

• Like 4

Posted

Gorgeous day, currently 20c with light winds and plenty of sunshine, if a bit watery thanks to some high altitude clouds.

Exquisite display of Cirrus earlier...

Screenshot_20230902-135532.thumb.png.029045d95e8b3e4c5f12a04e48274b65.png

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
19 hours ago, Snowandrocks said:

It's been very pleasant here for the last few days with lots if blue skies and unbroken warm sunshine. I was surprised to see a light frost on the grass at first light today though which fits in with minus 2 being recorded further inland. 

Could contain:

Yes, -1.6 at Felagie glen, a station that I recommended to instal using Nasa Landsat Thermal images 🙂

this morning -1.2, Corgarff area was little colder -1.6.

Could contain:

• Like 6

Posted

Well, after a drab August, September has started out in grand fashion with two lovely days. 22c in NE Fife today under mostly sunny skies. Very welcome! 

• Like 6

Posted

Anyone aurora watching tonight? Fairly clear here. Before I had kids I used to stand in the fields with my camera to catch it. Got my picture posted in the local paper. Will see what an iPhone can do tonight rather than my cannon. Eos 8d from 2002 ish. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Plenty aurora alerts pinging away overnight, weather not complying as cloudy throughout. 

Currently lot of high level cloud making sunshine very hazy and accompanied by a stiff westerly wind.  Irrespective temperature already 22c, notable weather this 👍

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Screenshot-20230903-173630-Facebook.jpg

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3