Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Going to be an interesting few days coming up      Local  forecast has us dry and windy to Saturday afternoon while less than a 100 miles away torrential rain is expected. An extreme example of the rain shadow effect of the Cairngorms  Some rain is forecast overnight Saturday to Sunday. In fact today newly dug areas of garden have a dusty surface.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

That’s the Red warning issued for between Dundee and Aberdeen. Hopefully people heed advice to avoid travel in that area and surrounding areas.

Lovely day yesterday, weak sunshine coming through. Breached 11c. Wind has picked up now though and is making it feel cold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!
16 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

That’s the Red warning issued for between Dundee and Aberdeen. Hopefully people heed advice to avoid travel in that area and surrounding areas.

Lovely day yesterday, weak sunshine coming through. Breached 11c. Wind has picked up now though and is making it feel cold.

Could contain:

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
18 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Luckily we'll have some flexibility regards travelling back home as that's both red rain and amber wind warnings along much of our route now. Probably leave travelling until Sunday to let the clear up take place, as I'm assuming A90 will be under water in the usual places.

Off to Lochmaben in a bit for 2 nights, then  Airdrie for another couple, neither journey should be troublesome, hopefully, and both relatively short.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, SW Saltire said:

According to young Mr Northernlights the Angus and Aberdeenshire machinery rings were messaging on social media last night for every tractor/combine and operator  who was available today to come forward to rescue the last of the cereal and tattie harvest as with this wind ground conditions were improving.

My old college friend just south of Aberdeen is into his last tattie field with extra help yesterday and should finish today barring break downs.    He also has a team hard behind the tattie lifter cultivating ground and sowing wheat.

Seems the wind will be our feature already gusting very strongly. Young Mr Northernlights has a job today rolling in winter beans behind a sower.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Is the red warning not for Stonehaven down to Arbroath/Dundee? Still undecided on commuting tomorrow/Friday, a couple of days off work might be sensible.

Could contain:

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
25 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

SEVERE FLASH FLOODING EVENT THURSDAY 19TH >>> TUESDAY 24TH OCTOBER 2023

FIFE, DUNDEE, PERTH ETC

I have discussed the dynamics in this post 

IM VERY WORRIED FOR THE ZONE FROM FORFAR > BRECHIN > EDZELL > FETTERCAIRN

SOME DATA INCREASES TOTALS HERE ANYWHERE UPTO 200-300 MM

arpegeuk-25-101-0.png

WORTH REALISING ITS NOT SOLELY AN EAST BASED FLOOD AS A BIT OF A REVERSED FOEHN EFFECT SEES THE REGION A TAD WEST OF @Northernlights UP TO @Halfamilefromnowhere ALSO SERIOUSLY EFFECTED
MAIN THREATS FLASH FLOODING AND SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHTS (SEVERE WIND GUSTS ALSO A HAZARD), I'D ADVISE CANCELLING AND AVOIDING ALL TRAVEL IDEAS FOR FRIDAY IN PARTICULAR WHICH WILL SEE THE BIGGEST RAINFALL ACCUMULATING. RAINFALL WILL BEGIN BY THURSDAY MORN, AS THE UPPER LEVEL FLOW STARTS TO TRANSITION TO THE NORTHEAST + EAST INTO FRIDAY THIS WILL COINCIDE WITH MASSIVE RAIN RATES AND SIGNIFICANT WAVES BEING DRAWN DIRECTLY TOWARD THE FIFE & SCOTLAND EAST COAST WITH ACCOMPANYING INCREASING WIND GUSTS

animotu1.gif

gfs-wavehgt-eu-fh18-102.gif

iconeu-uk1-25-120-0.png

arpegeuk-52-101-0.png

Waders at the ready, thankfully we are high up but looks grim none the less. Just working out as approximately one inch rain gives around ten inches snow we would be looking at around 30-40 inches on a se severe Gale, Aberdeenshire higher parts would be looking at 80-100 inches of snow so maybe good job it is not January!

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

SEVERE FLASH FLOODING EVENT THURSDAY 19TH >>> TUESDAY 24TH OCTOBER 2023

FIFE, DUNDEE, PERTH ETC

I have discussed the dynamics in this post 

IM VERY WORRIED FOR THE ZONE FROM FORFAR > BRECHIN > EDZELL > FETTERCAIRN

SOME DATA INCREASES TOTALS HERE ANYWHERE UPTO 200-300 MM

arpegeuk-25-101-0.png

WORTH REALISING ITS NOT SOLELY AN EAST BASED FLOOD AS A BIT OF A REVERSED FOEHN EFFECT SEES THE REGION A TAD WEST OF @Northernlights UP TO @Halfamilefromnowhere ALSO SERIOUSLY EFFECTED
MAIN THREATS FLASH FLOODING AND SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHTS (SEVERE WIND GUSTS ALSO A HAZARD), I'D ADVISE CANCELLING AND AVOIDING ALL TRAVEL IDEAS FOR FRIDAY IN PARTICULAR WHICH WILL SEE THE BIGGEST RAINFALL ACCUMULATING. RAINFALL WILL BEGIN BY THURSDAY MORN, AS THE UPPER LEVEL FLOW STARTS TO TRANSITION TO THE NORTHEAST + EAST INTO FRIDAY THIS WILL COINCIDE WITH MASSIVE RAIN RATES AND SIGNIFICANT WAVES BEING DRAWN DIRECTLY TOWARD THE FIFE & SCOTLAND EAST COAST WITH ACCOMPANYING INCREASING WIND GUSTS

animotu1.gif

gfs-wavehgt-eu-fh18-102.gif

iconeu-uk1-25-120-0.png

arpegeuk-52-101-0.png

Important point I'd like to note as areas outside the red warning will be just as important really 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Very blustery in Greenock just now, less so in Gourock. Seems exposure to the east is going to be important as this storm blows through.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A blustery day here too with a strengthening ESE wind. Mostly cloudy with just a few blue patches and a couple of showers first thing. Milder than of late at 12.8C

My daughter has just told me that all trains South from Aberdeen have been cancelled from tonight. A bit premature I would think for earlier tomorrow but I suppose that they are worried because of the crash near Stonehaven a couple of years ago. She was supposed to be coming down on the train Friday afternoon as my niece is getting married in NE Fife on Saturday but is now getting a bus early tomorrow. People are travelling from all over for the wedding with a lot coming up from Somerset as that is where the groom is from so hoping not too much disruption over the next couple of days.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I was supposed to be travelling from Fort William to London on the Sleeper tomorrow (Thursday) evening. Plug was pulled on that service early afternoon. Now on a WHL service towards Queen Street to catch tonight’s Lowlander sleeper from Glasgow, got the last cabin on it which was fortunate!  My wheels are in London and I need to be there from lunchtime Friday through the weekend, so decided to bail while the going was good in case any problems develop on the WCML later tomorrow or Friday morning!

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 9

Posted

I suppose there's a chance that the red alert area could be expanded as we get nearer the event?

Stonehaven has a history of flooding and the river South Esk will be in full spate cascading down Glen Clova - would be quite a sight by Friday morning I'd imagine

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

been outside to take the bins out and it is certainly blowing a hoolie, very windy and rainy which is certainly no newsflash but quite horrible to think it will be like this for a couple of days 🤢

• Like 4