Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

a bit of a blow last night but it did calm down relatively quickly. Quite a nice start to the day actully

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

If it wasn't for all the dicking about with random power cuts and everyone going on and on and on about stuff..... it would be quite a nice morning.

Actually it is a nice morning.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

If it wasn't for all the dicking about with random power cuts and everyone going on and on and on about stuff..... it would be quite a nice morning.

Actually it is a nice morning.

Must be above   you but a good section of the Black Isle was white this morning with the Cawdor hills having a good covering Young Mr Northernlights has just done 2 mile round trip via wood tracks  with tractor to meet Tesco delivery van . Most important!!!!!! photo to follow.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
12 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Must be above   you but a good section of the Black Isle was white this morning with the Caewor hills having a good covering Young Mr Northernlights has just done 2 mile round trip via wood tracks  with tractor to meet Tesco delivery van . Most important!!!!!! photo to follow.

All we had was some melting slush at the bottom of the windscreen in the shade.

My Mum sat in our kitchen while her house re-heats - her power was mostly off for about 12 hours and even her well-insulated small bungalow sheds heat quickly when it's cold and windy.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
19 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Disruption with the latest storms worse than with Arwen, a lot due to the complete failure of the phone system - what happened to the generator backup for the masts???

Found a good 4G signal sat in car outside the roads depot on the outskirts of Alford. Fish and Chip van in Alford too, at transport museum, but had a massive queue at lunchtime. Luckily we have a gas hob so can still cook on that. 

• Like 5

Posted

House sprung back to life at 17:10, hopefully to stay thay way. Forecast to be windy tomorrow again but not as strong so fingers crossed there's no weakened trees in perilous positions beside power lines. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted

power restored at 20.10 ,daughters and hubby had a hairy night and managed to get home at 8 20 this morning ,they are tired but ok 

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, Ravelin said:

House sprung back to life at 17:10, hopefully to stay thay way. Forecast to be windy tomorrow again but not as strong so fingers crossed there's no weakened trees in perilous positions beside power lines. 

uh oh, i booked a night in a hotel in aberdeen because the power was out in skene (just outside westhill) at around 4.45. I kinda hope the power stays off for 24 hours so we have a compensation case to make...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Today started off dry, sunny, cold and calm but then became overcast, probably just out of habit.

High temperature today was 7.4⁰C at 13:33 up from the low of 1.8⁰C at 03:58 and now 7.0⁰C, humidity rose from 74% at 06:03 to 94% at 20:17 and still now, wind is 6 to 12mph south-southwesterly with a maximum gust of 18mph at 02:49, pressure currently 1013.6hPa and dropping like  stone, there’s been 3.4mm of rainfall today and 3.6mm in the last 24 hours, clous cover is 8/8 and the dew point is at 6⁰C.

Figures for January 2022 are:-

Highs – temperature 13.2⁰C, humidity 96%, wind 25mph, pressure 1038.6hPa, total rainfall 61.6mm.

Lows – temperature -3.4⁰C, humidity 72%, pressure 987.1hPa, dew point -5⁰C.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
On 30/01/2022 at 09:37, snowidea said:

I'm literally crying reading this

Yes, I was near to tears myself, but were the BBC interested? No. And my bird feeding stations were blown over twice! Both Malik and Corrie. How many trees can claim that, eh?

• Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

uh oh, i booked a night in a hotel in aberdeen because the power was out in skene (just outside westhill) at around 4.45. I kinda hope the power stays off for 24 hours so we have a compensation case to make...

Wife had a text from our (elderly) neighbours earlier asking if power was back on as they had gone to a hotel in Aberdeen for the night. Saw them out at thier horses this morning so must have gone this afternoon, probably not too long before the power was restored.

Although SSEN have undoubtedly been better than they were with Arwen, thier estimated restoration times have still been virtually useless. Certainly not useful enough to base decisions on. When our power went on Sat morning their Power Track site said back by Tue midnight, but it was back on Sat night. When it went again last night it said Tue again, but was on early evening today. Hell, no more than an hour before today's fault was fixed the detail for the fault  coverin g a huge are around Alford was still sat on "fault reported", when it almost certainly should have been "engineers on site". 

I know its difficult with so many faults, but they still have a way to go with keeping people informed. The 105 telephone message is that general its pointless, as are the messages they then phone you with. Don't get me on "for further information visit www.SSEN...." either when no one has power and the mobile network is down. 

Edited by Ravelin
More rant added
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Feel bad for those without power in the North East, you’ve been battered this winter. Also feel lucky as living in a big city power cuts are pretty much unheard of.

But in terms of wider weather chat I’m starting to think we’d be as well looking to spring now. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Wife had a text from our (elderly) neighbours earlier asking if power was back on as they had gone to a hotel in Aberdeen for the night. Saw them out at thier horses this morning so must have gone this afternoon, probably not too long before the power was restored.

Although SSEN have undoubtedly been better than they were with Arwen, thier estimated restoration times have still been virtually useless. Certainly not useful enough to base decisions on. When our power went on Sat morning their Power Track site said back by Tue midnight, but it was back on Sat night. When it went again last night it said Tue again, but was on early evening today. Hell, no more than an hour before today's fault was fixed the detail for the fault  coverin g a huge are around Alford was still sat on "fault reported", when it almost certainly should have been "engineers on site". 

I know its difficult with so many faults, but they still have a way to go with keeping people informed. The 105 telephone message is that general its pointless, as are the messages they then phone you with. Don't get me on "for further information visit www.SSEN...." either when no one has power and the mobile network is down. 

Yes our 90 year old neighbour who walked up to the farm  through the woodto see if we had power this morning had tried all morning to contact SSE to say he had no power When I reported trees down at 8.30am this morning as no one had reported loss of power   it was deemed low priority.  Then comes word from the estate that they can"t remove trees in case damaged pole maybe dangerous which up to a point is very fair and they need to have SSE on site to check. However according to SSE engineer who I spoke to today estates  will always say it is dangerous as SSE then have to cut and remove trees from near lines at SSE s cost. The politics between every organisation these days and who pays for what drives me crazy somtimes. I reported along with another neighbour our 90 year olds loss of power to SSE this afternoon . Another neighbour who was away for the weekend has also lost power so I hope it has moved up the prority list as engineer said he was going to look at it this evening.

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Yes our 90 year old neighbour who walked up to the farm  through the woodto see if we had power this morning had tried all morning to contact SSE to say he had no power When I reported trees down at 8.30am this morning as no one had reported loss of power   it was deemed low priority.  Then comes word from the estate that they can"t remove trees in case damaged pole maybe dangerous which up to a point is very fair and they need to have SSE on site to check. However according to SSE engineer who I spoke to today estates  will always say it is dangerous as SSE then have to cut and remove trees from near lines at SSE s cost. The politics between every organisation these days and who pays for what drives me crazy somtimes. I reported along with another neighbour our 90 year olds loss of power to SSE this afternoon . Another neighbour who was away for the weekend has also lost power so I hope it has moved up the prority list as engineer said he was going to look at it this evening.

Update two SSE engineers have just called in to say neighbours at end of road back on and they  will    isolate damaged  line tomorrow  to allow estate to cut up trees tomorrow .Have to say I find this very amusing so when you watch these repairs  going on there are lots of background politics going on.

• Like 3

Posted

10c at 7am!! Looks like a breezy day with a bit of sun. If it hadn't been for the lack of rain I'd be screaming about how awful this winter has been. Actual winter weather nonexistent and it looks like staying that way for a while yet! Rubbish!

• Like 4

Posted
11 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Update two SSE engineers have just called in to say neighbours at end of road back on and they  will    isolate damaged  line tomorrow  to allow estate to cut up trees tomorrow .Have to say I find this very amusing so when you watch these repairs  going on there are lots of background politics going on.

Milder today at 8c and still breezy.

The Saga continues. Line isolated but Estate needs it in writing so engineer needs to come back when contractors arrive sometime today. According to another neighbour who phoned up today and works for SSE there have been letters going out for years telling landowners to control trees next to power lines.Thay also said in the last twenty years the NE of Scotland part of SSE  has gone from 35 line maintenance staff to just 4 currently and they just can"t cope with prolonged stormy weather.Hope they cull as many managers.!!!

Another observationis OK wind directions have been different but I have never seen so many trees come down so easily

• Like 4