Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
10 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

Sorry to read about your misfortune @Snowandrocks, and hope you can get the mess tidied up. I myself suffered a similar tragedy when both my new bird feeding stations blew over, thus spreading nuts and seeds over the length and breadth of the patio, which now looks like a giant muesli. The loss of the feeders was particularly disappointing as it happened in the middle of the RSPB’s Gardenwatch weekend and I had been looking forward to taking part. This was further kyboshed by the rule that only birds that have landed can be counted, whereas all the birds being blown across my airspace couldn’t land as they wheeched by, often backwards and finch-over-tit, until they disappeared over the garden fence towards next-door neighbour’s cat, which had taken station atop their gazebo where it sat with its mouth expectantly open and licking its lips. D

I'm literally crying reading this

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A quiet night last night, apart from Cat2 trying repeatedly to get into bed with us (she likes my left shoulder, go figure) and Cat3 continuing to reckon that behind the curtains in the living room is the best place to do the business. Ongoing battles. 

Calm and grey this morning, off to stretch the legs before the wind (supposedly) returns later.

• Like 2

Posted

Well, SSEN not giving false hope this time (or being overly conservative) as now saying power out until 23:59 Feb 1.  Cynical timing, just say early hours 2nd Feb.....

Over last 12yrs living near Sauchen only 4 powercuts.  First two only lasted a couple hours and we're back around 2006.  Third one (Nov 2021) 5.5 days and this one now looks lengthy as well, and all within a couple months of each other.  Something has gone very wrong in line maintenance.

Cold, calm conditions and light Permagloom.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Funny thing is, when we got the compensation for 4 days without power last time we considered buying a small generator or portable battery pack. In the end we thought "what's the chances of it happening again?" and didn't bother. 

Similar train of thought  

Placed an order for an inverter generator after storm Arwen. I explained to the dealer that I was looking for delivery towards the end of the financial year, so I could put it through as a company expense. I remember being offered a physical machine in December but declined. A decision I was regretting yesterday...

• Like 3

Posted

EErily calm at the moment.........suspect it won't be later on  Looks like a blowy old night coming up

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Dead calm and cold early doors, managed to get couple hours in new field shelter ( which hopefully will still be there tomorrow) before the rain started, now quite wet and with temperatures only around 2.7C  so rain bit sleety at times and the trees are beginning to stir..

Top of the higher hills white this morning, looking out to the west as pic

looks like being a lively night, everything battened down

E0171820-88C9-409D-A7A9-C3B0C7C4D947.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Rain just started here. 6.1C now from a min of 2C. No wind to speak of at present. First real rain for some time if it lasts. 12mms for the month so far here so very dry.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in the summer

Pressure really starting to drop off here in the Western isles now. Winds markedly picking up too, awaiting the other side of the low as strongest winds will swing more from the northwest.20220130_142638.thumb.jpg.1bc9dd254b99bb41f9139b27dc83f825.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well that's some the big Fir tree cut up and the fence put back together to an extent, but a couple of broken spars will need replaced. Ready for round 2 and wondering whether Aberdeenshire Council will decide to blanket shut the schools tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted

Too quiet here 

We were (are) still dealing with Arwen damage and now Malik too.. don't think I can take another so soon, gonna try and sleep through and see what tomorrow (Corrie) brings, still way too calm yet here, no rain or wind

• Like 4

Posted

Still seeing the pressure drop away here from 107hPa to currently 997.9hPa over two hours.

Wind has just ever so slightly dropped off from an average of 30mph gusting to 45mph to now 22mph gusting 32mph over the last 15 mins or so. 

All looks to be within forecast, expecting pressure to bottom out soon and minds swing into the west and north west and pick up again. Shall see soon enough I think 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

image.thumb.png.7b052878896f85168a2e2fbb4b16da63.pngimage.thumb.png.3d155053df0d5bdf94d80f29e65f150d.png spookily similar forecast from me, the strongest gusting starts over at @mistyqueens then over onto the east coast there looks like a signal for a localized area of the high gusts somewhere say from the distance of Montrose > Stonehaven and extending a few miles inland to the west of there, for majority of us somewhere 50-55mph seems a fair bet with some 60-80mph mixing in now and then animxcy3.gif also this is north westerly gusts whereas it was mostly westerly with Malik

• Like 9

Posted

All gone calm out in western isles... 

Average wind speed now at 10mph gusting 18mph still from the south.

Pressure still falling at 996.1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just watched BBC news, and @Snowandrocks that is a BIG tree that came down, much bigger than ours. Slightly disappointed they didn't get you to recreate leaping over the sofa to get out of the way.

• Like 4

Posted

-6°c windchill with light snow for this area tomorrow morning. Not ideal as the 4WD is in for repairs while the courtesy car is FWD and rocking rather bald summer tyres  

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted

Here we go it seems. Lull didn't last long. Wind has gone south to northwesterly in short time now averaging 25mph gusting over 50mph.

Pressure levelled out around 996.2 

Getting pretty noisy outside.

Temp has also dropped from 7.8c to 5.5c over 15mins.

Edited by Craig Cameron
  • Like 4

Posted

A very stormy looking sky most  of the day wind picked up in late afernoon and now very gusty but cold at 5c .Still dry so young Mr Northernlights was picking off stones again while I was soux chef preparing tatties ,parsnips, carrots and heap of sprouts for tea .(Froze quite a few of the sprouts) 

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, Craig Cameron said:

Here we go it seems. Lull didn't last long. Wind has gone south to northwesterly in short time now averaging 25mph gusting over 50mph.

Pressure levelled out around 996.2 

Getting pretty noisy outside.

Temp has also dropped from 7.8c to 5.5c over 15mins.

I'm under the blankets if anyone wants me! (phone and torches charged, and food ready for re-heating on a gas hob despite the freezer contents probably lost now) 

stay safe everyone x

• Like 5

Posted

Wow.... The air pressure inside the house is incredible. Can hear things airborne outside hitting the windows, sustained winds over 50mph with frequent gusts into the high 70s

Strongest gust of 78mph from due north, I'm very sheltered here from the north behind a small hill. Guessing speeds will be in excess of 80mph along the sea front 

Edited by Craig Cameron
  • Like 7

Posted

Really bad here now on west coast of Lewis. Don't expect power to last much longer.

Can see large electric looking flashes coming from the neighbouring island of bernera. 

• Like 8

Posted

Sustained winds at 55mph frequent gusts over 80mph. The intensity of the change here is quite incredible.

Just had two more transformer flashes light up the sky and whole western side of the island is now dark. 

4G for the rest of the night it seems. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

No strong winds yet over here but nice to see snow on a traffic camera for what seems the first time in ages. A93 just South of the ski area.

@Craig Cameron my cousins were brought up just up from you in Carloway albeit some time ago and one still lives in Bragar. Has some great photos of waves breaking over the West side of Lewis.

FE171E9E-178A-43EF-9B3D-22B3740470C0.jpeg

• Like 8