Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Been mostly cloudy here today with a strengthening Westerly. Pretty much dry though and mild with a max of 9.7C from a min of 2.6C overnight. A ragged looking sky to the West just before dusk.

A9684463-CB13-42DC-AD23-D4E66F2A02F3.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

A year ago today my father died of Covid so I took my mother out for lunch, just to keep her occupied. One of my brothers and his wife joined us and, having not been able to attend the funeral because of shielding, I asked what had happened to the ashes. “I’ve got him,” says the bold boy, “in the bottom of my wardrobe.” “How long are you planning to keep him there?” “Until I get my new shoes, then he’ll have to go.” “Oh right.” None the wiser. Lunch was okay, the drive there and back less so. Dull drizzly breezy stuff and it appears it’s a bit premature yet for me to be getting in and out of the car and walking across a car park, although I think it was having to give my mother a boost with my shoulder under her bahoochie to get her into the Land Rover that did me in. Which is unfortunate because I’ll be repeating the operation on Sunday at bold boy’s birthday lunch in Eaglesham. Assuming I’ve caught my breath by then. Either way I’ll take the comfy car.

Serious black humour but we still have my father in law on top of a wardrobe from 15 months ago. His funeral was online.The plan is to scatter his ashes near one of his favourite hill walking areas in the summertime this year hopefully.

Wind still roaring here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Ridiculously mild at moment 10.3C but increasingly stormy gusting around 40 all animals including birds have been behaving rather strangely last couple days… Storm couple days back topped out at 50 mph suspect we may beat that in the early hours.

• Like 5

Posted

Another mild day in Aberdeen 11°c, windy with showers am. Sunset across the city from the 5th level of the new Biomass plant. 

20220128_170941.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Quite calm here at the moment, occasionally gusting into the 30s. The mets predicted winds tomorrow morning are the highest i've seen here in a couple of years so it'll be interesting to see if it actually reaches that level.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
9 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Quite calm here at the moment, occasionally gusting into the 30s. The mets predicted winds tomorrow morning are the highest i've seen here in a couple of years so it'll be interesting to see if it actually reaches that level.

Funnily enough, or not, it's really calmed down here in the last 30 mins. We're forecast gusts of up to 60mph over the next 12 hours but so far it's been a bit breezy but nothing to get excited about. Which is maybe no bad thing.

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, mardatha said:

Amber warning here now.  *scared*

Urgh I know. My friends up for the weekend and I was hoping to get to pittodrie and tick off a new ground and tick off a hike near tarland. Think we’ll be taking shelter inside, damn North Sea lows

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Some impressive gusts of wind here and a couple of short flickers of the lights. Not sure of temp as local weather station went offline around 6am.

Edit: Power went off completely for a few seconds there. Occasional bits of debris rattling off the bedroom windows too. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 7

Posted

very windy here ,hubby had to find a different route home as tree across the road ,must really get a anemometer , but we are at an elevated level 

• Like 7

Posted

Morning all,

Unfortunately I have to drive through to Glasgow today. Pretty wild out there gusting 61mph at Leuchars so it will be higher down the coast. Tay Bridge closed to all traffic. Locally, not as bad as Arwen yet.

I see 120mph gusts on the Cairnwell and 147mph on Cairngorm. I sincerely hope no one is out in that.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
11 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Serious black humour but we still have my father in law on top of a wardrobe from 15 months ago. His funeral was online.The plan is to scatter his ashes near one of his favourite hill walking areas in the summertime this year hopefully.

Wind still roaring here.

My dad died 26 years ago when I was still quite young and living in Cornwall. He wanted to be buried at sea but as this was rather complicated mum arranged for his ashes to be scattered at sea instead. One of his mates ran trips to seal island so agreed to take us out but had to be on a quiet for business day. We ended up going out on in what felt like a force 9 gale. The minister’s wife fell over trying to get in the boat then refused to come, the minister himself was looking seriously sick, the rest of us were born with sea legs so were OK. We chugged not too far out into the bay, the minister said a few words then picked up the ashes to scatter them over the side, only being a complete plank chose the wrong side of the small boat so poor dad blew up in the wind, then all over the rest of us. Mum paused from her sobbing, looked up and said "he'll be up there looking down on us saying what a pile of silly buggers". This was so true we all burst out laughing apart from the minister who'd taken the brunt of the ash blow back and was obviously shocked mum knew a swear word. 

It's very windy out there today a change from the permanent meh, hope you East coasters don't have a repeat of the last storm. 

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

On to the backup, slower, landline router now as the much faster 4G one lost its signal at least 20mins ago. Probably means the local mobile phone transmitter has lost power or is running on reduced power. An increasing number of power outages across the NE according to SSENs website, but nothing compared to Arwen. 

Lovely sunny morning despite the wind. 

• Like 5

Posted

Wild out! Noticeably worse than Arwen round these parts. Some wild gusts, a few TV aerials down round about, the trampoline took off from our garden and went fully airborne. It's now been dismantled! The whirly gig Mrs 101 insisted on buying is still not spinning! Total garbage as I suspected

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

I'm sure everywhere in Scotland other than Lanarkshire has seen a decent storm this year. Just the typical 45-55 mph windy day here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Blew its worst for about 30 mins around 7 o'clock, trying its best to lift the skylight out. Much calmer now already with very little gusting.

Hope you stay safe out east.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Wind picked up a good bit in the last hour and we've had a few light flickers but all ok so far. ( I know, I shouldn't have said that! ) No info on power losses on Skye but I hear Barra has taken a bit of a pasting.

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 5

Posted

Leuchars now reporting westerly 48mph gusting 73mph.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Wild night here but not sure weather station is being entirely truthful as top gust 55mph , locally 82 Rogart and 77 at the Crask. Squally heavy showers raging through.

• Like 3