Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

S till a strong gusty  wind here but it occasionally dies down mild start at 10c with odd bursts of rain now. Just few branches off that I have seen so far plus a gate blown open.

• Like 1

Posted

Blocked in again - tree down along our track next to the ones that came down during Arwen. Spindly looking thing so probably not much strength without it's neighbours. One downside of living in a forest I guess haha. 

• Like 9

Posted

Arwen with daylight so far.  Very stormy and power out since around 8am, supposedly restoring by 8pm but believe that when I see it.  Two panes blown out of greenhouse, just as well had some backups.  Mobile was out for an hour as well.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

As Hawesy said Tay Bridge closed to all traffic so there must have been gusts of over 80mph. Locally one if the neighbours fences has gone and on the other side there was an almighty crash as something went over on their patio.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

So Autumn continues...this is beyond boring this dross weather, but look a small glimmer of something cold from WX Charts...fingers crossed.

817723771_4thFebuary.thumb.JPG.f2c083cad325ec70b81add85599a5640.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Storm Corrie now named for Sunday /Monday low

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

One of those days where I'm glad I'm not a trampoline!

Gonnae try and walk the dugs, steering well clear ae the wuids!

Edited by Scottish-Irish Skier
  • Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

Boring this definitely isn't. 

The huge 150+yo Douglas fir in our garden has just come down - completely wrecked the porch I spent last summer building. Already had too much firewood from Arwen! 

IMG_20220129_105851.jpg

IMG_20220129_105805.jpg

Oh no, sorry to hear that.  

This storm is definitely packing a punch.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Calming down here now, I'll go out soon and check if there's any damage done. One of my neighbours recorded a gust of 99mph. My weather station didn't get anywhere near that! Maybe I need an upgrade! Blue sky coming and going but I'm not fooled, rain is just behind it.

• Like 5

Posted

Some really squally showers coming through just now with gale force gusts again. Much cooler too at 5.5c

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, Snowandrocks said:

Boring this definitely isn't. 

The huge 150+yo Douglas fir in our garden has just come down - completely wrecked the porch I spent last summer building. Already had too much firewood from Arwen! 

IMG_20220129_105851.jpg

IMG_20220129_105805.jpg

Ouch, sorry to hear that - just saw that on the BBC so at least you're famous!  Good luck with the rebuild. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Winds still very gusty but eased a tad 3C with bitter windchill. Showers increasingly of hail and sleet but skies brighter in between. 

• Like 5

Posted
19 minutes ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Winds still very gusty but eased a tad 3C with bitter windchill. Showers increasingly of hail and sleet but skies brighter in between. 

Can see a lot of those showers in your direction to the north of us. Very cold out there in the wind at 3.5c

• Like 7

Posted

Family debunked to Aberdeen as power now out until tomorrow and mobile signal down as well. 

Lots of tree damage again, hopefully wind tomorrow night will not be as bad, this current  storm felt as strong as Arwen.

Certainly paying for all the settled calm weather over the last few weeks.

Still stormy with sporadic showers of rain, feeling a lot cooler as well.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Keep safe all, Another one tomorrow which won't help matters..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
11 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

The tree is an absolute monster - I paced it out at 40m tall with the trunk well over 2m in diameter... but we have plenty of food, wine, snacks and a woodburner so no complaints here! 

And no shortage of wood by the sounds of it! I trust you have a chainsaw? Maybe start a firewood business on the side!

That is a total bummer about your porch. We are surrounded by trees, but all at a safe distance (only one that could maybe reach us if it went over is to the east, where the winds are never strong). So they shelter us, but don't present a danger.

The local forests here have taken a pounding again. The farm owner had areas of pine plantation (normally surrounded by an edge of beech, ash, birch, oak etc)  thinned a couple of years back. That left these really tall thin pines with a huge 'sail' at the top, with no other trees close by to support them. Without time to take advantage of their newfound space to spread out roots further, they've toppled in huge swaths. The unusual northerly armen caught them from a weak side. A lot of those that survived are now down. Total mess. 

Still, maybe 60% still standing. That's better than out on the moors towards Westruther and Duns.  There you have pine and spruce plantations that look like a nuclear blast levelled them. Those not toppled are snapped like twigs. 

Only good thing is an endless supply of firewood.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Two snow events separated by massive area's of high pressure covering the Atlantic keeping the cold miles away from the UK...rinse and repeat a week later but with a small chance of a bit of cooler air over the UK.

I can't remember high pressure being so dominant in winter that nearly the whole of January has been a write off as far as cold is concerned...time is rapidly running out for a sustained cold spell...apparently its all the Polar Vortex fault as its too strong, when it does split it could be March and that's too close to Spring Time warmth appearing.

Sorry about the doom and gloom but this weather is dire.

Saturday.thumb.JPG.57b5e20830fe275b7c42f23a53a64042.JPG

1934077797_NextFriday.thumb.JPG.1f1c2eb1cd6a6a0453ee81145e80fafe.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Sorry to read about your misfortune @Snowandrocks, and hope you can get the mess tidied up. I myself suffered a similar tragedy when both my new bird feeding stations blew over, thus spreading nuts and seeds over the length and breadth of the patio, which now looks like a giant muesli. The loss of the feeders was particularly disappointing as it happened in the middle of the RSPB’s Gardenwatch weekend and I had been looking forward to taking part. This was further kyboshed by the rule that only birds that have landed can be counted, whereas all the birds being blown across my airspace couldn’t land as they wheeched by, often backwards and finch-over-tit, until they disappeared over the garden fence towards next-door neighbour’s cat, which had taken station atop their gazebo where it sat with its mouth expectantly open and licking its lips. During all this El Diablo claimed that the maximum wind speed in my garden had been 25mph southerly at 09:06, whilst the BBC and MetO said that wind speeds had been in the high 50s mph. Curiously the high temperature of the day was 10.3⁰C at 05:45 then dropping like a stone to 2.5⁰C over 4 hours. Low temperature is now at 1.2⁰C. Humidity is now 89%, pressure is 1031.2hPa rising slowly, there’s been 2.8mm of rainfall today and in the last 24 hours and the dew point is at -1⁰C.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

As has been said before, what a messy story this morning here. Easily 60mph gusts and the drive from westhill to tarland was interesting at 10am (perhaps idiotic) with several fallen trees or parts of along the roadside.

thankfully it eased up and we got to tarland for a decent lil hike, and afterwards my mate and I got down to Montrose a little later for some no nonsense football and a glorious coastal drive down the A92. Not a bad day!

941721B1-43F3-4360-A94B-031F4CFBC5F9.jpeg

B8280AC5-E885-40DC-859E-C1DD578B464D.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Storm Corrie up next, Amber warnings for severe gales later on tonight continuing into Monday with snow for higher elevations.

Apart from the power cut yesterday, the house was sheltered from the destructive gusts thanks to its position on a south facing hill. Tonights winds are expected to be from the NW again coupled with much lower temperatures.

Further power cuts look likely.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
3 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Further power cuts look likely.

Aye, all batteries are back on charge and we'll probably take showers late afternoon just in case. 

Funny thing is, when we got the compensation for 4 days without power last time we considered buying a small generator or portable battery pack. In the end we thought "what's the chances of it happening again?" and didn't bother. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5