Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

After a very calm day, the wind is just starting to pick up a bit here now. ICON suggests gusts up to 60mph later this evening....

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

After a very calm day, the wind is just starting to pick up a bit here now. ICON suggests gusts up to 60mph later this evening....

Wind roaring here too now just hope there is not too much more damage for everyone.

• Like 3

Posted

and... that's the power gone. Ah well.

Oh and it's back. So much for an 'early night'...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Windy here, but nothing like the other night.

Only good thing about the weather is this:

Untitled.thumb.png.3b1dbcccfb864c2e9a4135be50a0cdd5.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in the summer

The clean up has started in the Western isles, lots of reports of trees down and roof damage. 

Peak of the storm lasted only about an hour but was incredibly intense.

I think Stornoway airport is reporting 93mph as their top gust.

Edited by Craig Cameron
  • Like 8

Posted

wind is really ramping here ,think we are slightly more exposed from the north ,or NW ,waiting for my husband who has gone to pick up my daughter from work, there is a lot of trees with ash dieback ,     they have just had to turn back trees down ,i t's going to be a  cold night in a car park 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Sounds wild outside, but since its pitch black the sound is all I have to go by. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

Sounds, wild outside, but since its pitch black the sound is all I have to go by. 

Yes indeed, im starving and want to go to the shops and id rather just stay put tonight! Cant wait for this to pass and a calmer week ahead already, its gonna be a right mess commuting in the morning i feel.

Edited by shunthebartlett92
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Just watched BBC news, and @Snowandrocks that is a BIG tree that came down, much bigger than ours. Slightly disappointed they didn't get you to recreate leaping over the sofa to get out of the way.

Yeah, sad to lose it as well as the obvious damage to the house. I can rebuild the porch but you can't replace a lovely old tree. Not sure I could clear the sofa in one jump again but it's amazing what the sight of a 40m tree falling towards you does! 

The attention from the press was ridiculous - sky news, BBC, STV and various newspapers. I was half expecting a press helicopter to appear overhead. 

At one point the power came on briefly, I was amazed given the mess of the lines leading to the house. I went out for a look only to see crazy arcing and flames where all the trees were touching the lines - a minute or two later there was a bang and it all went dead again. Expect a good few days before all that gets sorted. 

Wind howling again outside now. 

• Like 8

Posted

Power's been on/off all evening but the wind is abating quickly now. 

Think we've got away with it again unlike plenty of other folk. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A few flickers of the lights here but power staying on for now. Going by the cover on the patio set it's not as bad as yesterday, as yesterday it was trying to lift the heavy wooden table, but despite sounding fierce the cover is hardly moving tonight. A bit of sleety stuff falling when I looked out. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Snowandrocks, I've got a similar sized tree - looks like a giant overgrown xmas tree- just over my back fence. It scares the hell out of me even when it isn't windy. I hate it.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Was heavy rain for a while then very noisy, more noise than Malik. I've had enough of living at 400ft tyvm. I want to go back up above the tree line now. Still roaring around outside.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

More noise here too than from Malik though the bridge is still open to cars so they have not had any gusts over 80mph. A bit surprised about that. Neighbours got their fence back up from Malik but down again now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I'm guessing the 63 to 92mph winds currently being recorded at Inverbervie are an error? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Good morning all! Hope you've all survived Corrie with minimal damage. That image of the fallen tree Snowandrocks, WOW! Are you the lucky one! It did get quite breezy between 6 & 7 last night and the lights did flicker more than they did during Malik's appearance but no power loss. Heading down to Stirling today, should have been going on Saturday but Malik had other ideas! Calmer here now but temp dropped overnight to 2.6c. Don't think there's any power outages in Skye but the Highlands are once again leccyless.

• Like 5

Posted

Power went out at some point last night. Managed to get into work only to find operations are suspended until its deemed safe to go on site.

The forecast snow did indeed arrive. 

20220131_064608.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
6 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

I'm guessing the 63 to 92mph winds currently being recorded at Inverbervie are an error? 

Maybe the MetOffice will say something today or issue a Top Gusts from Storm Corrie and we'll see if it's included

0131gustsCorrie.jpg

Quite a weekend though and delightful that Sunday morning was so pleasant. A bike ride without a head wind

0131corriepowercut.png

0131corriesting.png

0131radar7.png

• Like 5

Posted

Farm road blocked this morning with 3 large sitka spruce.Wood marked for clearfell this year but Arwen Malik and Corrie doing the job for them. Spoken to Estate Forester and she is kind of busy but will need electric folks there as both electric  and  telephone line damaged next to house at end of road. Up at farm electric comes through open fields and went on to 4G for phones/ internet about 4 months ago fortuitous. Cool with light sleet showers at 4c

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Wild overnight but not as bad as further west, have not checked gusts etc yet but there was a good covering of snow at 5am which has thawed a bit since

40EEF84B-060A-49ED-8DE7-EA9E0143CB8B.jpeg

• Like 9