Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Just popped out of the office and could not believe how hot it feels already. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

29c at midday across Cambridgeshire, so looking good for a high of 32c.

Posted

Met office issued an amber warning do heat for all day Sunday, have we ever had a warning like that? 
Hate heat, extreme heat is going to be a nightmare, 8 hr shift in care home, with no air con and no air, is going to be horrific.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
36 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Met office issued an amber warning do heat for all day Sunday, have we ever had a warning like that? 
Hate heat, extreme heat is going to be a nightmare, 8 hr shift in care home, with no air con and no air, is going to be horrific.

I was wondering the same thing. I cannot recall ever seeing a warning like this before. 

I hope it's doesn't turn out to be that hot. 

Posted
52 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Milky white skies invading from the North West 

Ni on impossible to get a clear sunny day nowadays 

Totally agree. Sun up to sun down cloudless summer days do seem to be a thing of the past now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

UK Top 10 max temps at 16.25. Still a little time left for somewhere in the Region to hit 32C in the next hour.

1448943909_Radarwithtemps11July2216_35.thumb.jpg.d1909fd0a27f3980ddaf91094b7a3cca.jpg

As with others, the sky has turned milky here this afternoon. I think on this occasion it's some old feature (front/trough) moving south SE, but there certainly are reports confirming that we enjoy less clear skies nowadays thanks to aircraft contrails. I'll try and find the report.

Satellite 16.00 103748287_Satellite11July16_00.thumb.jpg.61c7f9eb5359efb368c349066c82c0d3.jpg

Posted
On 09/07/2022 at 15:16, claret047 said:

No real rain in sight for the foreseeable. The further outlook looks a bit concerning with maximum temperatures forecast to hit 43C in some spots. We certainly need a good rain. The other day I was sitting on Writtle Green under a tree waiting for my wife to return from a shop and it was just like autumn with loads of leaves falling onto and around me. I also noticed the other day that some large trees have leaves browning already. Is this unusual?

Kind Regards

Dave

We might get a mm by end of month may be 8mm if we cop a  shower and lucky ,i see south west water has thrown towel in and said look we rely on above ground water and its thin on the ground so stop using  it ..we in south east rely on under ground stuff  ,so lasts longer in a degree ..but come a dry autumn we are gonna be thirsty for sure 

Edited by TN9
  • Like 2

Posted
On 10/07/2022 at 12:33, Kent Blizzard said:

Put it on a table and hit it with a hammer Tom

How are the "Summer is over" threads going?

By this time next week, we might be hoping it is lol

Yea can't wait for frosts in February again if lucky  clear sky:-)

Posted
38 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Toasty... definitely feels like mainland Europe summer this one. I thought 2019 was good but this summer is of the scale. 

If we could get some tasty thunderstorms early next week that would be the icing on the cake 

Of to ibiza in less than  2 weeks as well. At least we have AC in the villa 

Dont rub it it in Surrey..and not suntan oil neither...:-)

• Like 1

Posted
On 10/07/2022 at 16:42, Kentspur said:

I swear my location by the Thames has its own microclimate. We have a cement works right near me a tile factory fuel and gas depots around me too, even in winter when every where even a few 100metres up the road has snow and frost we have nothing. We had the least snow during the Beast from the east that I know of nom ore than a max of maybe 4.5inches at the height of it while places just 3 or 4 miles away had double this or more. Were always warmer in winter as often a frost is forecast and I don't ever have to scrape my car say 1c is forecast I know I'm always safe from having to car scrape as here my thermometers still normally at 3 or 4c. I know my weather station is not the most technical but it definitely feels much hotter than 27-28c here today I posted in model output discussion yesterday saying we need another weather station between Dartford and Gravesend which often recorded the countries highest temps before they dismantled our only weather station, were flat, urban and suffer the sandy North Downs Foehn effect here so I'm pretty sure my weather station isn't far from the actual temp its def atleast 30c here just a shame we will never know the truth BBC and Met always forecast temps much lower than the actual temp here when I used to drive through all of London and Heathrow every day my van temp was always higher here than both those locations unless we had a Easterly wind or Northeasterly or during Spring for example when the North Sea is coldest.

20220710_163721.jpg

You are spot on  mate  . .and if you ask your mum and mums mum or dads dad or mum they would say never liked a north westerly or a North easterly depending where you lived because of the chalk dust ..couldn't put your washing out smothered ..in cement dust ..:-(

Screenshot_20220711-142348_One UI Home.jpg

Edited by TN9
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Models still going strong with the big temperatures with an almost direct plume directed by the Iberian low.This sort of large plume, you would expect to see temperatures similar or perhaps even above that threshold with such a direct plume from such a pool of hot air that's so close to use at the moment so I think this hot spell is likely at the moment, it's just how hot it gets that's the question overall.

xx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022071112_174_4855_147.thumb.png.874f8fb066116bbef60196240bd35ec2.pngxx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022071112_174_1431_310.thumb.png.123835a0fe544379d1d6e7e41c83ad92.png

Horizontal vorticity looking quite stretched initially, likely spreading the heat pretty strongly across the south especially. Behind it, you can see the cut off low with more convergent vorticity shown slightly ahead of the low, if that pushes further North then I would expect Storms to really get going such as the ECM shows with maybe a cooling down slightly (although the heat would come maybe a day earlier, so still a big high temperature I would think.) on the day before the thunderstorms. That's all for now.
xx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022071112_174_1431_457.thumb.png.2d2bca88817cd7ed48b0dd2e3bb7e585.pngxx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022071112_198_1431_457.thumb.png.057bfbd37e01654e123cf1688e0f9556.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 hours ago, Polaris said:

Milky white skies invading from the North West 

Ni on impossible to get a clear sunny day nowadays 

I was hoping to find an article from the BBC about the impact of jet contrails on levels of sunshine, but it seems to have disappeared (probably taken down), so instead here's some extracts from a 2009 article in the Telegraph. It's paywalled so I can only reproduce a limited amount:

Jet contrails above Britain can block sunshine over 20,000 square miles
Vapour trails caused by jet aircraft over Britain can cause clouds covering 20,000 square miles, according to Met Office research, reducing sunshine by up to 10 per cent.

Analysis of contrails from one large military aircraft circling over the North Sea showed the creation of a thin layer of cloud that, at its peak, covered an area of more than 20,000 square miles. The Met Office research suggests the collective impact of hundreds of vapour trails can cause a blanket of thin cloud, reducing sunshine for millions who live under busy flight paths. Contrails, which are clouds of condensed water vapour and soot particles made by the exhaust of jet engines, sometimes disperse within minutes but can also be present in the sky for many hours. They can also act as a catalyst for the formation of further wispy cirrus cloud.

Globally, vapour trails are thought to cut sunshine levels by less than one per cent, but this figure could rise to 10 per cent in areas under busy air corridors, such as the south-east of England, according to The Sunday Times.

Source (paywalled): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/climatechange/6683108/Jet-contrails-above-Britain-can-block-sunshine-over-20000-square-miles.html

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

I was hoping to find an article from the BBC about the impact of jet contrails on levels of sunshine, but it seems to have disappeared (probably taken down), so instead here's some extracts from a 2009 article in the Telegraph. It's paywalled so I can only reproduce a limited amount:

Vapour trails caused by jet aircraft over Britain can cause clouds covering 20,000 square miles, according to Met Office research, reducing sunshine by up to 10 per cent.

Analysis of contrails from one large military aircraft circling over the North Sea showed the creation of a thin layer of cloud that, at its peak, covered an area of more than 20,000 square miles. The Met Office research suggests the collective impact of hundreds of vapour trails can cause a blanket of thin cloud, reducing sunshine for millions who live under busy flight paths. Contrails, which are clouds of condensed water vapour and soot particles made by the exhaust of jet engines, sometimes disperse within minutes but can also be present in the sky for many hours. They can also act as a catalyst for the formation of further wispy cirrus cloud.

Globally, vapour trails are thought to cut sunshine levels by less than one per cent, but this figure could rise to 10 per cent in areas under busy air corridors, such as the south-east of England, according to The Sunday Times.

Source (paywalled): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/climatechange/6683108/Jet-contrails-above-Britain-can-block-sunshine-over-20000-square-miles.html

Got some activity @ twenty thousand feet or was that Gatwick..lol ..come on ,we know what cars do to lower levels ..ulez etc etc ....but you never see planes banned from Sussex..or middlesex (oh sorry the County doesn't exist anymore )west London..no we encourage it ..strange to say the least 

20220711_210318.jpg

Posted
On 10/07/2022 at 16:42, Kentspur said:

I swear my location by the Thames has its own microclimate...., I know my weather station is not the most technical but it definitely feels much hotter than 27-28c here today I posted in model output discussion yesterday saying we need another weather station between Dartford and Gravesend which often recorded the countries highest temps before they dismantled our only weather station, were flat, urban and suffer the sandy.

I agree. When I lived there and used to drive to work from medway towns to London the car temp always rose around gravesend. In fact in 2019 when Cambridge recorded the highest ever temp at 38.7oC, it went to 39oC driving past Gravesend. 

I would bet that the warmest temp in the UK has been recorded there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

For the first time during this heat spell, it actually feels quite sticky outside. It has been lovely the last few nights, cool with a decent breeze, but not tonight!!

Posted
36 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

For the first time during this heat spell, it actually feels quite sticky outside. It has been lovely the last few nights, cool with a decent breeze, but not tonight!!

Not tonight  Josephine...and its rain for once ,seems like drizzle  over a period of days is gone...and (thank god)but its parched out there 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Today's top temperature was 31.6°C at 16:00 with 40% humidity.  Currently weather station recording 25°C and 56% humidity.  A slight breeze appeared this evening but unfortunately has dropped away again unfortunately.   Inside temperature is 28°C - have every fan going and all windows wide open.  Its going to be impossible to sleep tonight. 

Spoke to my 99 year old father earlier; he's struggling with the heat and feeling tired, lethargic and lost his appetite.  Have done lots of nagging about keeping his fluid intake up, both to him and sister who is his minder  carer.  Dreading Sunday/Monday with those scary potential temperatures.  

July's monthly rain total to date is 3.6mm.  All recorded on 1st and 2nd July.  Nothing since.  Lawn is brown, except for the small area we re-turfed a few weeks ago and only watering that wee patch , the vegetables, bedding plants and the one hanging basket.

Edited by Soaring Hawk
Added rainfall

Posted
1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

I agree. When I lived there and used to drive to work from medway towns to London the car temp always rose around gravesend. In fact in 2019 when Cambridge recorded the highest ever temp at 38.7oC, it went to 39oC driving past Gravesend. 

I would bet that the warmest temp in the UK has been recorded there. 

Yep ..it does,look at the  records..Faversham,gravesend ,East malling ,all stand out at times,I'm not sure anymore where the official sites are ,East malling fruit research centre .  the centre was bulldozed ages ago for houses but that was an official met office site..

Posted
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

B1D34899-918A-4A44-B7569D68BF8C31F5.jpg
WWW.SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM

Jenn Stroud Rossmann, an assistant professor of engineering at Harvey Mudd College, provides an explanation

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, TN9 said:
B1D34899-918A-4A44-B7569D68BF8C31F5.jpg
WWW.SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM

Jenn Stroud Rossmann, an assistant professor of engineering at Harvey Mudd College, provides an explanation

IE.. if we can't  identify ourselves as just cosmic particals in the end... then we are just pollution ,!like artificial:-( made of this universe but under false  predencies ..like fuel refined,so we think 

Morning all.

Still looking very hot at weekend but the tone down has started as a few of us were saying yesterday. Maxes on the GFS this morning around 36c in the hot spots. Which is still VERY HOT

44c and those crazy charts are going to happen at some point in the next 5 years but we are not there yet I don't think. You are talking about something that has not occurred in the last 100 plus years here maybe even since records began for our part of the world. 

Its no surprise that we have had one of the driest and hottest periods in my part of the world this summer. Climate change and global warming really starting to make itself present in our lives. Its only going to get worse.

Still think we will threaten the hottest temp but going to be very close and will require clear skies with no muck etc. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

20.5c at 4:30am , crazy weather