Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
27 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

😂 we have no hope of snow if it can't even drizzle properly anymore in the UK

Seriously lol, it's misty, you can see that looking at the hills, but all it's doing is, you can feel small drops on your face outside, it's not wetting anything.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Interesting meto forecast update today. Surprising no one else mentioned this yet

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office weather forecasts for the UK. World leading weather services for the public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !
18 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Is there anything noteworthy happening?

Spring seems to have sprung here, and I knows where the crocuses is 😊

Could contain: Flower, Plant, Petal, Anemone, Purple, Crocus, Anther

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

February is usually the driest month of the year for many parts of our Region, especially in the east with typically around 35mm across East Anglia. But Feb '23 is shaping up to be an exceptionally dry month for all of our Region. And whilst the last week of Feb is forecast to be more unsettled, rainfall amounts are not expected to amount to much with just a few mm for many according to the latest GFS.

This tweet from MetDesk says it all:

Wow its been dry!!! Would you believe some parts of the south have been drier in the last 30 days then they were at any point in last summer's drought. Here's February's precip anomaly so far.

Precip anomaly 1st - 20th Feb Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Map

Source: Twitter @metdesk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I can't remember the last time we had any measurable rain. seems like ages ago. so the damping this morning is a change from the monotonous dry/cloud/sun mild weeks we've had.   

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

February is usually the driest month of the year for many parts of our Region, especially in the east with typically around 35mm across East Anglia. But Feb '23 is shaping up to be an exceptionally dry month for all of our Region. And whilst the last week of Feb is forecast to be more unsettled, rainfall amounts are not expected to amount to much with just a few mm for many according to the latest GFS.

Wow its been dry!!! Would you believe some parts of the south have been drier in the last 30 days then they were at any point in last summer's drought. Here's February's precip anomaly so far.

Precip anomaly 1st - 20th Feb Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Map

Today's so could rain is 0 here. Has the cold front gone through?

We had fog this morning, that might have been it.

Posted
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Today's so could rain is 0 here. Has the cold front gone through?

We had fog this morning, that might have been it.

Sat right over us atm Alexis. It does clear through later this evening, only to be replaced by an occluded front that finally clears Thurs morning. Rather miserable weather with dribs and drabs of light rain and drizzle for 24 hours, but not amounting to more that a few mm at best.

Fax chart 12.00 Wed FaxChart12.0022Feb23.thumb.gif.7951928f00bbc5b612f6d33bfd5b3df6.gif 12.00 Thurs FaxChart12.0023Feb23.thumb.gif.25f19a134527d94b4f92549054d2d077.gif

Cum precip to 16.00 Thurs GFScumprecip2223Feb23.thumb.GIF.2a3466ac6486722bbe3fdc7a30e98e40.GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Sat right over us atm Alexis. It does clear through later this evening, only to be replaced by an occluded front that finally clears Thurs morning. Rather miserable weather with dribs and drabs of light rain and drizzle for 24 hours, but not amounting to more that a few mm at best.

Fax chart 12.00 Wed FaxChart12.0022Feb23.thumb.gif.7951928f00bbc5b612f6d33bfd5b3df6.gif 12.00 Thurs FaxChart12.0023Feb23.thumb.gif.25f19a134527d94b4f92549054d2d077.gif

Cum precip to 16.00 Thurs GFScumprecip2223Feb23.thumb.GIF.2a3466ac6486722bbe3fdc7a30e98e40.GIF

Well it's quite literally doing nothing.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Well it's quite literally doing nothing.

I presume you're in the currently dry corner of Kent showing on the radar. But yes, it's not a very active cold front!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation, Plant

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Rainforest, Vegetation, Plant, Tree, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram I love this ... might have to wait up by a lampost or chase it to Southampton 😂

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

3.2mm the not-so-grand total for us so far this month.   6% of our February average...

• Like 1

Posted

We had 5mm here overnight by far most significant rain in sometime, before this the month total was only 0.7mm it has been ridiculously dry generally it looks to remain dry. Seeing potential for some wintry showers in our region especially at night.

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

I presume you're in the currently dry corner of Kent showing on the radar. But yes, it's not a very active cold front!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation, Plant

It was drizzle light rain for ten minutes at best ..this will make you laugh on  comments or live chat ..as it was...the  middle comment...I would rather tornadoes than winter snow lol ..cor ..the choice ...like us saying ..i don't know if I like the fog  or little drizzle 🙂

Could contain: Text, Paper, Business Card, Person, Screen, Electronics

Posted
4 minutes ago, TN9 said:

It was drizzle light rain for ten minutes at best ..this will make you laugh on  comments or live chat ..as it was...the  middle comment...I would rather tornadoes than winter snow lol ..cor ..the choice ...like us saying ..i don't know if I like the fog  or little drizzle 🙂

Could contain: Text, Paper, Business Card, Person, Screen, Electronics

Hmm, well tonights weird drizzle can do one. At least there's something falling though.

Posted
3 hours ago, Battleground Snow said:

Ukmo really upgrading the cold in the near term.

UN96-7 (2).gif

UN120-7 (14).gif

Morning - quoted above from the mod thread. This is a positive for us lot I think, yes? I know it’s almost march etc but with uppers like that if we can generate some showers off the sea and a breeze to pull it in, we might actually see something? 

It’s been 2 years since I’ve seen any snow so I’m hoping so!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 hours ago, lottiekent said:

Morning - quoted above from the mod thread. This is a positive for us lot I think, yes? I know it’s almost march etc but with uppers like that if we can generate some showers off the sea and a breeze to pull it in, we might actually see something? 

It’s been 2 years since I’ve seen any snow so I’m hoping so!

You need to move to somewhere with a snowier climate - perhaps Southern California?

_128723091_kcalweather.gif
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

It's usually sunny and warm in Southern California, but area forecasters are experiencing a first

Edited by m1chaels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, m1chaels said:

You need to move to somewhere with a snowier climate - perhaps Southern California?

_128723091_kcalweather.gif
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

It's usually sunny and warm in Southern California, but area forecasters are experiencing a first

Planning a move to the highlands within 5 years. Not just for the increased snow risk, but also to try and miss the ever increasing heat down here and the never ending building that’s going on. The rate we’re going the whole of Kent will be built over.

Just want a decent garden to grow some veggies and fruit, some proper seasons and some peace and quiet

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, lottiekent said:

Planning a move to the highlands within 5 years. Not just for the increased snow risk, but also to try and miss the ever increasing heat down here and the never ending building that’s going on. The rate we’re going the whole of Kent will be built over.

Just want a decent garden to grow some veggies and fruit, some proper seasons and some peace and quiet

It sounds like an extension of what has been going on in London for a while now. Flats here flats there flats everywhere. More people here more people there more people everywhere.🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
SEI141525540.jpeg?quality=75&width=1200&
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Shift to colder weather comes amid warnings of a rare atmospheric phenomenon known as Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW)

attention-grabbing headline check, watered down in the actual article check, fooled you into reading it checkmate.

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

A Taste of Spring - 20 February 2023 Time-Lapse

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Been a grey old day here in Locksbottom with drizzle on and off most of the day and only 7 degrees.Dry theme continues into the weekend and early next week and even the chance of the odd snowflake for the lucky few Sunday evening onwards but nothing to get too excited about.After that is anyones guess and SSW causing havoc with the models with no continuity being shown for either cold or mild weather tbh.The “day 10 for cold weather “ is being banded about in the MOD Thread but as the days tick by the chances of us in the SE seeing anymore snow this winter also decreases😢That said it was march 2013 that was flipping cold down here most of the month so let’s see👍

On a side note has anyone else noticed the number of plants that have perished this winter?In 20 years of gardening never known a 12 months like it and wonder if the extreme heat of the summer and the two spells in December and mid to late January when we had -6s and -7s here(not seen those type of temps for 5 plus years) has been the cause?The number of dead hebes ,rhododendrons, camilias has been much higher than normal.If these extremes continue which sadly seems likely we are going to need to maybe change our way of thinking about what type of plants we plant going forward.Certainly food for thought there I feel.

Should also add it’s been an incredibly dry February here with only about 1mm of rain!

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Hotspur62 said:

Been a grey old day here in Locksbottom with drizzle on and off most of the day and only 7 degrees.Dry theme continues into the weekend and early next week and even the chance of the odd snowflake for the lucky few Sunday evening onwards but nothing to get too excited about.After that is anyones guess and SSW causing havoc with the models with no continuity being shown for either cold or mild weather tbh.The “day 10 for cold weather “ is being banded about in the MOD Thread but as the days tick by the chances of us in the SE seeing anymore snow this winter also decreases😢That said it was march 2013 that was flipping cold down here most of the month so let’s see👍

On a side note has anyone else noticed the number of plants that have perished this winter?In 20 years of gardening never known a 12 months like it and wonder if the extreme heat of the summer and the two spells in December and mid to late January when we had -6s and -7s here(not seen those type of temps for 5 plus years) has been the cause?The number of dead hebes ,rhododendrons, camilias has been much higher than normal.If these extremes continue which sadly seems likely we are going to need to maybe change our way of thinking about what type of plants we plant going forward.Certainly food for thought there I feel.

Should also add it’s been an incredibly dry February here with only about 1mm of rain!

Yeah, we will dig out our Hebe soon as there is no life in it at all. So sad as it was a beautiful plant. My Choisya is hanging on by a thread. It's severely wilted but hoping for a turnabout come spring. Then again any really cold weather might just finish it off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.

Don't be too quick to decide a Hebe is dead; they are remarkably resilient woody plants. Bend some stems; if they are dead they will snap pretty readily but live ones will be more resistant. I have just trimmed a large overgrown one back hard and was surprised how many live stems there were which should grow well.

The main issue has of course been the extraordinarily dry summer which did for a lot of shallow and relatively shallow rooted plants. We have 3 200l rain water fed water butts and still struggled at the end of the dry spell especially with the hose pipe ban so late into early winter.

Edited by Snow tyre
update to include reply to Hotspur 62
  • Thanks 2