Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

I don't like the look of the 12Z GFS, which has a secondary Low of 972Mb crossing N Wales - if it comes off, it will squeeze the isobars and push them further south. Downgraded to 65mph gusts by Met Office here but upgraded again to 70-75 by that new GFS.

One point to note  is that the RED warning area says 70-90mph gusts while the Amber area right along the south says 60-80 mph gusts. That means a lot of overlap and the rest of us are perilously close to RED at the moment. I'll be up early to warn my daughter and her kids if necessary!

Edited by DaveL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

I live right on the North Somerset coast (Portishead), with views of Avonmouth and Wales, I'll post some video of anything hairy or interesting tomorrow morning, e.g. my back fence interfering with the shipping lane.

edit: the shape of this coming storm reminds me of the St Stephens Day/Boxing Day storm of 1998. I witnessed that first hand on the west side of Ireland, it's probably the most brutal wind storm I've experienced.

Edited by dr weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

All loose objects moved in the garden and my weather station, which needed straightening anyway, has been checked over and tightened. Oh and great timing I've just found the backup batteries in the weather station are dead and I'm unlikely to be able to get any before tomorrow now 

Posted
32 minutes ago, matt111 said:

All loose objects moved in the garden and my weather station, which needed straightening anyway, has been checked over and tightened. Oh and great timing I've just found the backup batteries in the weather station are dead and I'm unlikely to be able to get any before tomorrow now 

Get yoursel up to Tesco in New Milton, they usually have a good range of batteries, they even stock my Davis VP2 batteries locally!

• Like 1

Posted

BUSES.....All bus services in Bristol, South Glos, W-S-M, North Somerset and Wells tomorrow are cancelled until at least 1pm. Limited services in Bath.

Ian Ferguson said that this storm could be "of historic proportions". 

I must check to see if my MOT and service are still on!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

In the last hour our local village schools have just said they won't be open tomorrow. I think we've secured whatever can be secured , candles ready if needed. Everytime we get something like this the powerline comes down. Last time it actually disconnected from the house side. 

Posted

Literally the calm before the storm right now, not a breath of wind. Eerie when you know what is coming!

The day was gusty and mostly sunny although with one heavy shower early afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Just had a walk up Glastonbury Tor, nice and calm right now (bit blowy up the top, but back down here it’s calm)… car moved into more sheltered spot, everything secured, candles and camping kettle at the ready. Work have said I can work from home and kids school shut. I know I won’t sleep tonight.. excitement and worry combined.. stay safe everyone 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, khodds said:

Just had a walk up Glastonbury Tor, nice and calm right now (bit blowy up the top, but back down here it’s calm)… car moved into more sheltered spot, everything secured, candles and camping kettle at the ready. Work have said I can work from home and kids school shut. I know I won’t sleep tonight.. excitement and worry combined.. stay safe everyone 

Exactly how I feel! Rain has just started here, heavier than I thought it would be. Safe times to us all x

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

I think we are ready, feel better knowing my mum has decided to stay home tomorrow also my son's college is shut and my youngest daughter who is at Exeter uni said they have all been asked to take extra care while moving around to stay away from the wooded areas of the campus. Eldest daughter has been told to work from home my other half has to go in to work incase of power cuts to make sure all the back up generators keep going. Like most have said very calm here at the moment just had some rain which seems to have stopped now.

Stay safe everyone. 

• Like 2

Posted

Wind starting to pick up in South Devon, she's coming

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Our school is still open! Scared to death about getting up and doing this school run in this. It's ridiculus!

Can't be many that are locally. Round here they're all closed now as are a lot of others across parts of Hampshire from what I've seen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Well time for bed, wonder how it’ll be in the morning…Winds slowly picking up here in Exeter.

Stay safe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Can't be many that are locally. Round here they're all closed now as are a lot of others across parts of Hampshire from what I've seen

Have to see what they do in the morning! It's mad though and i'm too nervous to sleep!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I honestly thought we would be in the thick of it right now. But it seems normal out there currently?

Posted

Not too bad in The Stroud area at the minute, no worse than Wednesday really. Things may change in the coming hours, obviously.

Posted

And finally (03:44 this morning) the affect RED area was changed

image.thumb.png.1383a37f0d28d213179b17ee2545f5ba.png

Having been out and around whilst not tranquil, right now it's not that bad out there, as people are moving about, buses running as normal, people going to work as normal.

Of course the peak as suggested will be late morning, pressure fall rate per hour has eased at 0.6mb/hr for the moment

image.thumb.png.0b0ff940d261712f4249d6c54f2d554b.png

The above is the 12:00 forecast so some way to go yet..

Meanwhile the surf looking choppy at the moment, but a lot of beach still visible

image.thumb.png.75cf40ee34785d0de13fa9ada4f3b33c.png

Posted

Woke up to a red zone.
Not bad here at the moment.
Winds picked up about an hour ago, SW 16-20mph, occasional gusts 20-25mph and a few 30-32mph.

But forecasts here have changed this morning for us, 70-71mph from 10am to 2pm.