Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

-6 here already. Another ice day here plus power cut at work. Decided I'd walk home round the back fields instead of risking walking along the road while the traffic lights were out. Ended up slipping and landing flat on my knee! Been laid up with an ice pack all afternoon 🙄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Just popped outside with a cuppa to check temp and seen two very clear and bright shooting stars streak through the crisp and ultra clear night sky! Was amazing!

Googled it and it’s the Geminid meteor shower and it peaks tonight. So if you outside have a look 🌠 💫 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
11 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Just popped outside with a cuppa to check temp and seen two very clear and bright shooting stars streak through the crisp and ultra clear night sky! Was amazing!

Googled it and it’s the Geminid meteor shower and it peaks tonight. So if you outside have a look 🌠💫 

I'll take your word for it, I'll stay inside under two duvets 😆

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

And now we're back to freezing again. It's not moving that quickly though. 

Posted
6 hours ago, chris55 said:

Went for a walk up Juniper today (about 180meters asl) took the truck up the icy lane and parked at the farm. 

Absolutely zero melt at this elevation and a winter wonderland three days after the fall, that’s extremely rare, I can only remember the snow staying like this a few times in the last 15 years.

I was hoping for some sunshine but the clouds have only just cleared. 

Cows needed their troughs broken (bad farm practice tbh) they were very thirsty.

a few “fence post snowmen/lady’s as well. 

Overall a beautiful, if not blooming freezing walk. 

Could contain: Car, Vehicle, Transportation, MinivanCould contain: Gate, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Fence, SnowCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, IceCould contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Winter, Snow, Shelter, Building, Architecture, FrostCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Winter, Tree, Plant, SnowCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Tree, Plant, Winter, Snow, Snowman, Tree StumpCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Snowman, IceCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Fence, SnowCould contain: Cow, Livestock, Cattle, Mammal, Animal, Dairy CowCould contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Frost, Snow

The longevity of the snow is certainly memorable! So stunning up there!  

Snow cover here hasn't really changed either.

Another ice day today with a max of -1.1 currently -5.5 brr!

Popped out to get the chicken water in but didn't see any shooting stars. Too cold to stay out long!

Looking forward to tomorrow hopefully a bright sunny day!

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Nature, Winter, Hut, Rural, Snow, Blizzard, Storm, Weather

• Like 6

Posted
7 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Kitchen floor after anything that's been dropped lol

Could contain: Chicken, Animal, Bird, Poultry, Beak, Handbag, Shoe, Car, Floor, Hen

I love this! The other half would never let me do the same.

Feel sorry for the chooks stuck in lockdown. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Monday was the first December ice day here since the same date in 2012.

Today is the coldest December high since 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
20 minutes ago, bellanite said:

The longevity of the snow is certainly memorable! So stunning up there!  

Snow cover here hasn't really changed either.

Another ice day today with a max of -1.1 currently -5.5 brr!

Popped out to get the chicken water in but didn't see any shooting stars. Too cold to stay out long!

Looking forward to tomorrow hopefully a bright sunny day!

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Nature, Winter, Hut, Rural, Snow, Blizzard, Storm, Weather

i was up in your neck of the woods today, stow  and Bourton on the water, absolutely stunning. bloody cold though 

Could contain: Canal, Outdoors, Water, Tree, Shelter, Scenery, Arch, Bird, Person, Car

Could contain: Canal, Outdoors, Water, Path, Bench, Person, Ditch, Fortress, Nature, Plant

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, jethro said:

Afternoon all, it got to the dizzying height of -1c here today so another ice day. It's a winter wonderland on top of the Mendips, everything's coated in a thick layer of frost and it's been like it for days now, it looks stunning, albeit a rather gloomy grey sky.

After spending the day virtually stationary in an unheated, stately home sized greenhouse (making xmas garlands) I'd be more than happy to fast forward to spring. I know that's heresay but so blinking cold with nothing to show for it, doesn't float my boat. A foot of snow please so I can stay home in the warm, or clear off cold, give me spring warmth.

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Frost, Snow

Could contain: Tree, Weather, Outdoors, Nature, Ice, Vegetation, Frost, Snow, Fir, Person

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Tree, Plant, Frost, Snow, Vegetation, Woodland

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Frost, Snow, Tree, Plant, Vegetation

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Vegetation, Frost, Snow, Woodland, Tree, Bird

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Frost, Snow, Tree, Vegetation, Woodland, Grove

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Frost, Snow

Great photos. Were these today? Debating whether to drive up there and get some similar shots tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
3 hours ago, Nights King said:

If you head over towards your old house and east mendip area they got a decent covering of snow too which looks as fresh as day it fell, looks stunning.

All melted in bradford bar a couple of frozen bits on grass.

I know, son sent me some pics. Just a dusting here, sneezed into a bag of icing sugar type of covering. I knew moving to barely above sea level meant snow was a rarity but you can't have everything, an old 16thc longhouse in an amazingly friendly village, surrounded by stunning views won against the 'love snow' battle.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Great photos. Were these today? Debating whether to drive up there and get some similar shots tomorrow morning.

Thanks. Yes, I took them on the way home from work, it's been like it for a few days, getting thicker by the day as the low cloud/fog has frozen. Check out google maps for the area around 'Stockhill Woods' near Priddy, that's where I took them, it's forestry commission, loads of sign posted walks and parking (free).

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, jethro said:

Thanks. Yes, I took them on the way home from work, it's been like it for a few days, getting thicker by the day as the low cloud/fog has frozen. Check out google maps for the area around 'Stockhill Woods' near Priddy, that's where I took them, it's forestry commission, loads of sign posted walks and parking (free).

Oh yes I love Stockhill! Looks positively Alpine in the snow eh. Mendip trip tomorrow it is then.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Oh yes I love Stockhill! Looks positively Alpine in the snow eh. Mendip trip tomorrow it is then.

In warmer weather up there you can hear Nightingales and see Skylarks. And lots of Red Kites.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I'll have cold and cold with a side serving of cold.

@jethro saw your lovely picture in the village Facebook group this evening. My husband goes over the top daily, he was meant to take a picture for me but you saved him a job!

• Like 2

Posted

Sad to not see any flurries last night here as well, but it just wasn't our time (again!!)

Hazy sunshine this morning, gave way to cloudier skies this afternoon. High reached 2.1°C. Highest temperature since 8th December! 

Currently clear with a light NE'ly wind. -1.7°C.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, chris55 said:

Went for a walk up Juniper today (about 180meters asl) took the truck up the icy lane and parked at the farm. 

Absolutely zero melt at this elevation and a winter wonderland three days after the fall, that’s extremely rare, I can only remember the snow staying like this a few times in the last 15 years.

I was hoping for some sunshine but the clouds have only just cleared. 

Cows needed their troughs broken (bad farm practice tbh) they were very thirsty.

a few “fence post snowmen/lady’s as well. 

Overall a beautiful, if not blooming freezing walk. 

Could contain: Car, Vehicle, Transportation, MinivanCould contain: Gate, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Fence, SnowCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, IceCould contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Winter, Snow, Shelter, Building, Architecture, FrostCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Winter, Tree, Plant, SnowCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Tree, Plant, Winter, Snow, Snowman, Tree StumpCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Snowman, IceCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Fence, SnowCould contain: Cow, Livestock, Cattle, Mammal, Animal, Dairy CowCould contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Frost, Snow

Optimal use of the rosehip after vit C survival tea and itching powder!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Down to -1.8°C now. Far from the coldest it's been at this time lately but colder than the last couple of nights. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Down to -7.3c now. Will it drop further?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Down below -7 here now. Very cold for this area. A cracking hard frost outside, everything looking rather beautiful. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

A tad nippy this morning 

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol, Page, Plot, Chart

• Like 2