Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Another cracker. Perfect for continuing our never ending battle with the ground elder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Now suggested to be a riptide event.

The police need to be clear on this. If it's not safe to go into the sea at the moment, their should be warnings to that effect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

A riptide doesn't explain why they arrested someone

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Rich_Clements said:

A riptide doesn't explain why they arrested someone

... and impounded a boat.

This is why the police need to speak up and give the public confidence about what they can and cannot do on that beach. Rumours will keep swirling until they do so.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Never heard of rip rides at Bournemouth beach before..  how did they sustain injuries that they succumbed to?

Police asking the public not to speculate is ridiculous after all of the confusing information.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Never heard of rip rides at Bournemouth beach before..  how did they sustain injuries that they succumbed to?

Police asking the public not to speculate is ridiculous after all of the confusing information.

Me neither, and it should be defined as a rip current as it's not tidal created, but it wasn't the police that called it such. Rip currents usually occur between two areas of higher sand, which in this case, again Bmth beach is so flat. Anyway, as you note, as a local I've never heard of rip currents on Bmth beach, some of the beaches along here, do form potential runs for rip currents, but not here.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Absolutely crystal clear at cricket but my goodness the wind is seriously irksome!!

Excellent word. Usually reserve it for the in-laws. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I think it’s possible the casualties smashed into the pier supports, after the boat caused ‘rip currents’  by coming in too fast, from what I read. Obviously speculation, very sad whatever happened.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Now suggested to be a riptide event.

How would someone be arrested for that ...

6 hours ago, jtay said:

Another cracker. Perfect for continuing our never ending battle with the ground elder.

I have a whole border covered in that and the other one in bleeding bind weed 

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowdog said:

I think it’s possible the casualties smashed into the pier supports, after the boat caused ‘rip currents’  by coming in too fast, from what I read. Obviously speculation, very sad whatever happened.

That makes more sense 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Took longer for the sun to come out today but it did early this afternoon and the sky quickly cleared once it did. Reached 19.8°C

Posted
12 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

How would someone be arrested for that ...

I have a whole border covered in that and the other one in bleeding bind weed 

Yep. Same here. Awful stuff.

• Like 1

Posted

Similar day yesterday as in preceding days - sunny, just a tiny bit of cloud, but with a nagging E wind. Looks like more of the same today.

Posted

Could yah spare us a drop of water Gov?🌨️

Another one of cloud to start and sunny days, the overnight low of 7.1°C at: 05:14 having made its way up to 19.0°C, RH62% and that good ol' NE'ly at 9mph..

From Above

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Coast, Peninsula, Sea, Shoreline, Water, Rainforest, Vegetation

On Golden sands

Could contain: Water, Waterfront, Pier, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Horizon, Sky, Person, Bridge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny spells and warm, especially warm later on this afternoon when the wind dropped. Reached 22.1°C

Posted

Good Morning All, another June high pressure day (roll on some active weather!) Anyway, the overnight low of 9.3°C at: 05:28, has cruised nicely up to 21.3°C,RH53% (it's getting drier by the day), and a 7mph breeze from the E/SE.

From Above

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Coast, Peninsula, Sea, Shoreline, Water, Rainforest, Vegetation

Down on Golden Sands, surprisingly empty, given the warmth

Could contain: Water, Waterfront, Pier, Outdoors, Horizon, Nature, Sky, Bridge, Yacht, Sea

Boscombe definitely busier

Could contain: Water, Waterfront, Horizon, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Sea, Person, Pier, Shoreline

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Looking out into the next 10days, it seems still a long way to go before any clear fluid falls, and even then the local rain shield remains in place. At least a change for a short blip looks on the cards!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation, Outdoors, Rainforest, Tree

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Looking out into the next 10days, it seems still a long way to go before any clear fluid falls, and even then the local rain shield remains in place. At least a change for a short blip looks on the cards!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation, Outdoors, Rainforest, Tree

I'd argue that there's some chance of that developing mid-Atlantic low pushing up an outer band of precipitation maybe around Thursday night, but it's just a chance.

Posted
1 hour ago, dr weather said:

I'd argue that there's some chance of that developing mid-Atlantic low pushing up an outer band of precipitation maybe around Thursday night, but it's just a chance.

I wont argue (purely as it's the weather!) however some of the models do say Thursday, and I'm up for that, so storm chasing finally. (How I miss chasing in the USA😭).

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

so storm chasing finally. (How I miss chasing in the USA😭).

That must have been amazing. The 'chasing' I do over here is mostly static as the target areas are so unpredictable and the ability to move quickly on Britain's roads, is ... well ... average at best. My severn estuary location has orographical benefits, which is probably why I've been able to film a couple of funnel clouds and a waterspout in recent years, but if I'm honest it' something of a fool's errand to chase in the UK.

Posted
11 minutes ago, dr weather said:

That must have been amazing. The 'chasing' I do over here is mostly static as the target areas are so unpredictable and the ability to move quickly on Britain's roads, is ... well ... average at best. My severn estuary location has orographical benefits, which is probably why I've been able to film a couple of funnel clouds and a waterspout in recent years, but if I'm honest it' something of a fool's errand to chase in the UK.

10years of chasing, and Covid and old age have finally put paid to further chasing! It was great fun, and would fully recommend anybody to do it, weather at it's worst!. I agree that the UK road network and topography really screw with any decent chasing, like you I now go for localisation, watch and wait with the hope something breaks big time where you can reach.

The UK storms are FAR different from the USA storms, BUT, that's fine, as long as we get some. 

Fingers crossed for an active breakdown.

Edited by Dorsetbred