Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

Well after an overcast start and 12C at about 7.45 am it's now near clear blue skies,  my weather monitor shoeing 28.4C  in the shade , although I'd peg it back to say 25C , and humidity 46% , pressure 1014 . Very usable day , car passed mot , managed a little gardening . 

Think the chest / asthma episode was a reaction to the antibiotics apparently! Ho hum . 

Feeling better in myself , discomfort in jaw still there and will be until gland removed . 

Hope everyone is having a good day . 

• Like 3

Posted

Another cracking day. Took Mum out for lunch in Boldre, nr Lymington. Sunny throughout. Lovely drive across the Forest.

Hazy Sunshine now as the front slides to the South. Just got some weed and feed down, so hoping for a bit of rain. 🤞🏽

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .
1 minute ago, jtay said:

Another cracking day. Took Mum out for lunch in Boldre, nr Lymington. Sunny throughout. Lovely drive across the Forest.

Hazy Sunshine now as the front slides to the South. Just got some weed and feed down, so hoping for a bit of rain. 🤞🏽

Hazy here too now and a little cooler . But pleasant.  

Posted

Now that's not bad for a full day of sun,

Current 10:19 hours of sunshine today

image.thumb.png.3a4d71efb2795f07a78eecb2513c70ff.png

5 minutes ago, jtay said:

Ever hopeful, aye?

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Somerset girl said:

Hazy here too now and a little cooler . But pleasant.  

Agreed. It's lovely out. 

Somerset bound on Friday, hopefully. Looks cooler still.

Posted
3 hours ago, jtay said:

Agreed. It's lovely out. 

Somerset bound on Friday, hopefully. Looks cooler still.

I thought things were going to get better than the original wash out? I hope you have a good time whatever you are doing.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny and warm for most of the day before a brief shower this evening. Reached 22.6°C

Posted
On 22/08/2023 at 13:36, *Stormforce~beka* said:

My goodness summer has arrived!!

What was that again?

Whilst all the thundery activity cruises across the channel coast of France, here it's mainly overcast with a fleeting odd drop of rain or two. So far today 0.2mm of rain earlier this morning, with the overnight low of 14.4°C at: 00:56 having inched its way up to 18.7°C , RH81% and a 1-2mph light air movement from the SSE.

From Above

image.thumb.png.bb4dd466236136c6da9a02fdb05e4eff.png

The radar perspective

image.thumb.png.2a1aa08ab8266389516453244a9c4087.png

The beach view....E M P T Y..(don't think I have seen it that empty in the run up to August bank holiday for MANY years)

image.thumb.png.3dc7d8f38a3714c68c2a857e6d213c5d.png

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

What was that again?

Whilst all the thundery activity cruises across the channel coast of France, here it's mainly overcast with a fleeting odd drop of rain or two. So far today 0.2mm of rain earlier this morning, with the overnight low of 14.4°C at: 00:56 having inched its way up to 18.7°C , RH81% and a 1-2mph light air movement from the SSE.

From Above

image.thumb.png.bb4dd466236136c6da9a02fdb05e4eff.png

The radar perspective

image.thumb.png.2a1aa08ab8266389516453244a9c4087.png

The beach view....E M P T Y..(don't think I have seen it that empty in the run up to August bank holiday for MANY years)

Goodness me that is rare isn't it . 

Well the weather doesn't know what I wants to do quite honestly! Sun peeks out , cue cloud , looks unsettled then cleaes rinse and repeat . Nothing exciting temperature wise nor humidity wise , bug pressure has dropped from 1016mb to 1009mb in 12 hours . 

Washing out ,made some lavender skin salve ,- first time ever. Quite a nice little project . 

Feeling better now at last . Hopefully turned a corner.  

Going out tomorrow to Exmouth 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Looks like it could be quite an entertaining day weatherwise on the south coast. I hope some of the fun and games heads further north but not looking too likely.

Posted

OH has a cut and colour booked in Eastleigh, so I'm going to walk from there, up the river itchen to beka ville.

Got my coat for later, but if I end up on the pub, I end up in the pub. 🤷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Do you think there are less visitors in general this year?

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty steady rain with a few rumbles coming from the channel here on the Dorset coast this lunchtime. Me thinks we might see a bit of thundery action here soon looking at the radar.

Posted

Finally has become audible, rain has ceased..

image.thumb.png.82f5c1b111284232a0e79abba0535f41.png

SADLY, it's going to miss us , looking likely for the western tip of the IOW, and Lymington.

It has gone over the IOW but has died a death, rain yes, electrical activity no..

image.thumb.png.2f0ee891bdcbec5f2ac3e12e74d6fcd4.png

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
1 hour ago, Rich_Clements said:

Wouldnt surprise me. Popped to Torquay a couple of weeks back. Small family run hotel at Meadfoot. We've been using it for years, but usually Autumn/Winter time. Service second to none and a great young chef who cooks from locally sourced farms, etc in Devon.

Well, they've had a quiet Summer. There was plenty availability along the South coast when i first looked a few weeks back. I suspect many peeps went back off abroad this year, esp after the Home holiday market ripped us all off when everything reopened up post-restrictions. Some of the prices, at 'home', in Spring/Summer '21 were an absolute rip-off!

If my analysis is correct serves 'em right.

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Wouldnt surprise me. Popped to Torquay a couple of weeks back. Small family run hotel at Meadfoot. We've been using it for years, but usually Autumn/Winter time. Service second to none and a great young chef who cooks from locally sourced farms, etc in Devon.

Well, they've had a quiet Summer. There was plenty availability along the South coast when i first looked a few weeks back. I suspect many peeps went back off abroad this year, esp after the Home holiday market ripped us all off when everything reopened up post-restrictions. Some of the prices, at 'home', in Spring/Summer '21 were an absolute rip-off!

If my analysis is correct serves 'em right.

I was thinking along the lines of the cost of living having an impact in that people cant afford a holiday, I was down in Torquay last weekend and it seemed quieter than I was expecting,

and completely agree with the rip off thing after Covid.

Posted
2 hours ago, jtay said:

OH has a cut and colour booked in Eastleigh, so I'm going to walk from there, up the river itchen to beka ville.

Got my coat for later, but if I end up on the pub, I end up in the pub. 🤷

YAY Welcome!!

Posted
Just now, Rich_Clements said:

I was thinking along the lines of the cost of living having an impact in that people cant afford a holiday, I was down in Torquay last weekend and it seemed quieter than I was expecting,

and completely agree with the rip off thing after Covid.

For some i guess. It's more of a cost of living challenge for many though i.e. revaluate spend, prioritise, etc.

You only have to look at travel abroad this Summer. From the UK it's back to pre-2019 levels. The holiday co.s  are back in profit. And so are the airlines. That also says a lot imho.

Posted
2 hours ago, Rich_Clements said:

Good question, I do feel in general the numbers are down, I think as Bristle Si mentions, people are going abroad more this year, but the principle months for "grockles" have not been overly enticing, if you look at the recent weekend weather events, that's a prime time for the beaches for folks that work, so that has been a limiting factor, as has been limited availability of money.

The numbers of folks going overseas is certainly recovering after Covid, saw this today:

?type=og-image
SHORTURL.AT

A BOURNEMOUTH-based holiday firm is seeing a “staggering” and record-breaking month for sales this August despite there still being two weeks…

Whether it'll change next year once the Euro ETIAS become mandatory will be interesting to see, as I think that will cause a lot of travel pain for people travelling from the Uk to Europe. 

Sorry long answer...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

I have to confess we are off to Spain next month so I guess this applies to us as well, we went abroad last year but missed the previous two years for obvious reasons.

• Like 1