Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted

Well, I spent today moving all my stock and machines up against my workshop's interior walls, and away from the west-facing outside walls and windows, and covering up stuff as much as I could. Absolutely knackered now, but it's a 150 year old building that's not in the best nick, so I am worried, especially as it's on a hill with the potential for the sting jet in the models.

I am caught between the thrill of an extraordinary event, and the fear of serious damage to my business!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
34 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Latest TAF for Heathrow: 10 am to 2 pm 45kt, gusts 60 kt (51 mph mean, 70 mph gusts).

Ouch.

51 mean, going by here, gusts would be high than 70 inland effect I guess. Doesn't sound pretty regardless.

30 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Interesting watching the forecasts in the Netherlands and N Germany, they’re also going nuts about Eunice. Looks just as nasty for their coastline as it does in Cornwall, Wales and Bristol. 

It is unfortunately.

Posted

63mph gust now recorded on the coast in Southern Ireland.

Trying to imagine what tomorrow may bring. Some are going to need a lot of strength to get through many challenges thrown at them.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Andy Pepler said:

did the model drop a nut ??

I think it uses the GFS as a guide, and puts the actual readings in. 

• Like 1

Posted

Right i'm turning in. Not sure I'm going to sleep i'm sooo nervous for school run in the morning. It's all setting my ibs off. Urgh! Any way rest is rest I guess. See you all on the other side (/middle of it!) x Keep safe

• Like 5

Posted
31 minutes ago, GSP said:

Estofex has much of the SE south of Thames under a level 1, but mainly for the chance of a sting jet, only slight risk of a tornado.

Hang on, so the sting jet is down here, what's up in East Anglia then?

Posted
17 minutes ago, DerbyshireDales said:

I’m really not happy about my two going to school tomorrow!

We should be OK this far North Mate, looks nothing worse than around 60mph, so pretty normal around here for Winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

On the issue of warnings, I remember Arwen had a thin slither in red, when in reality some inland areas reached almost 120mph & ¼ million were without power.

Spectacularly underestimated in my view & can't understand why they seem to play down (by almost 30mph for Arwen) risks these days

Screenshot_20220218-005616_Twitter.thumb.jpg.30cd2d4a289a3f113f46fb26afab8331.jpg

Screenshot_20220218-005705_Gallery.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Anyone else suffering from a pressured headache? I'm sure it's the weather!

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

We should be OK this far North Mate, looks nothing worse than around 60mph, so pretty normal around here for Winter.

Net weather currently showing heavy and moderate snow during the worst wind bits for me too. Between 12 and 5pm. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

On the issue of warnings, I remember Arwen had a thin slither in red, when in reality some inland areas reached almost 120mph & ¼ million were without power.

Spectacularly underestimated in my view & can't understand why they seem to play down (by almost 30mph for Arwen) risks these days

Screenshot_20220218-005616_Twitter.thumb.jpg.30cd2d4a289a3f113f46fb26afab8331.jpg

Screenshot_20220218-005705_Gallery.jpg

I thought the highest gust during that storm was 97mph at/near Boulmer? If there was any 120mph gusts, its bound to be right on top of the pennines rather than any low lying areas. That said as you said, the impacts were quite severe and no doubt more red warnings should be out than there is just like in this case. The south coast looks particularly like it be will be hard hit during the morning then in the afternoon NW England, North Wales alobg with East Anglia seeing the strongest gusts. I would argue these areas should have red warnings also but we shall see how it develops. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, DerbyshireDales said:

Net weather currently showing heavy and moderate snow during the worst wind bits for me too. Between 12 and 5pm. 

Tbf that's a fair point. Doesn't Buxton even get Snow when it's 70c just down the road in South Cheshire / North Staffs

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
7 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I thought the highest gust during that storm was 97mph at/near Boulmer? If there was any 120mph gusts, its bound to be right on top of the pennines rather than any low lying areas. That said as you said, the impacts were quite severe and no doubt more red warnings should be out than there is just like in this case. The south coast looks particularly like it be will be hard hit during the morning then in the afternoon NW England, North Wales alobg with East Anglia seeing the strongest gusts. I would argue these areas should have red warnings also but we shall see how it develops. 

Given, the highest gusts were across Grampians (117mph) though tbh I'm not sure I'd be very far off as having a long unencumbered draw up at Pontop Pike, we were well out of the red warning area but boy did we get it.

Could be interesting again during rush hours

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

K2 Buoy now shows 978mb a drop of 5mb in last hour. Wind increased to 49 Knots from the SW

choppy-waters-in-the-ocean.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

K2 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1