Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
9 minutes ago, Cornishdave said:

I don’t recall seeing anywhere that’s forecasted severe storms to break out? Have I missed something? Seems to be much disappointment on here for an event that wasn’t really forecast? I think they all went with possible thundery outbreaks as the cold front moves in, that’s pretty much what’s happened? I’m in the southwest and the heatwave hasn’t ended, the front passed through earlier with a little rain and convection but after that skies are clear and it’s 29 degrees. 🤷‍♂️

I think it’s because there is some perception that heatwaves always used to go out with a bang. 

At a rudimentary level, you would think cooler air coming in from the west would undercut the hot air and force it upwards into explosive convection - but obviously there are a myriad of complex factors that also contribute.

Could also be confirmation bias but I don’t remember many hot spells just ‘ending’ the way they have over the past 5-6 years. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

It could possibly be those cells that are just getting going around Bristol but they look to be fading on the latest returns.

If I had more confidence I would drive out there. At least I'd escape the heat inside my flat 🥵. But my confidence is low based on one model and none of the forecasts going for it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I think it’s because there is some perception that heatwaves always used to go out with a bang. 

At a rudimentary level, you would think cooler air coming in from the west would undercut the hot air and force it upwards into explosive convection - but obviously there are a myriad of complex factors that also contribute.

Could also be confirmation bias but I don’t remember many hot spells just ‘ending’ the way they have over the past 5-6 years. 

Agree and i get its disappointing for some but I feel many on here set themselves up for disappointment for something that was never really on the cards! Still plenty of summer left so fingers crossed for more storm opportunities 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
5 minutes ago, Supacell said:

If I had more confidence I would drive out there. At least I'd escape the heat inside my flat 🥵. But my confidence is low based on one model and none of the forecasts going for it.

With the cold front still way out to the west over Ireland anything can happen as we are all still in the plume.

Posted

Atmosphere is definitely trying to make its mind up - just had a few minutes of huge convective raindrops, now dry again! Loving the lightning SW of London - hoping it will migrate! Come on!!

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
On 19/07/2022 at 19:46, Azazel said:

I think we have to except things have changed since how it used to be.I know we don't get the storms like we used and I've learnt to accept it.Just don't expect storms after the heat as it once was.That way you won't be disappointed and if you get one be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
57 minutes ago, Peachy said:

Many cells will start developing in the next hour over much of southern and central England. 

Things are about to get interesting soon.

We're waiting....

Posted
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

With the cold front still way out to the west over Ireland anything can happen as we are all still in the plume.

Exactly. Many more hours yet for thunderstorms to break out. The last of the potential unlikely to clear far Eastern parts until late tomorrow.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well would be nice if something does happen tonight but I’m not sure. Will get up in the night to check

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I mean it feels like the Mother of all storms is going to drop on there but nothing concrete at all on the radar

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

South central current conditions, 23°c and much fresher than even an hour ago

The wind is quite gusty at times, and we have low level cloud streaming in off the sea #NotFeelingVeryStormy....

Edited by Southern Storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

A small cell has just formed south of me

chrome_vZhvUXjOlL.thumb.png.b7b548a0ba175c73794a78984fed382a.png

• Like 1

Posted

I can confirm a thunderstorm is happening right now - I’m in Shepperton.  It’s muggy as anything but the rumbles when they happen are very long.  Pouring down - living the dream. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Storm here . Quite frequent lightning . 

98965F65-1354-4F06-914A-60E5F8478AD9.jpeg

30DFD7B9-E8D0-4AEF-936F-BCD61A6FB334.jpeg

4330A9D7-5F55-4B9B-BFDA-1546FAA62EC4.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looks like the SE and Far east of the England the place to be later on.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Lauren said:

I mean it feels like the Mother of all storms is going to drop on there but nothing concrete at all on the radar

Lightning becoming more prolific to the SW of London @Lauren - I’m ruling out nothing for us 🤞

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Cooling down here at last. Might even have to put some clothes on.*

*calm down, ladies

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

expecting this place be a bit more active when the sun sets and the skies become much clearer to see some lightning

Posted

By the looks of the radar, the storm that has ignited must be the area of 1000kj cape. As mentioned before it's a slither and clears through between 8-10pm. Once this rain has moved through and area of instability and cape passes, unfortunately then this will be over. However having looked there's a good chance. West London, north west London Bedfordshire could be within the fire line. It all depends on cooling aloft, the amount of cape and many others of which I'm not educated to say. Tommorow is the day for storms, cold front moving in, slightly cooler and more in the way of moisture, good old surface based tomo and if I'm being honest this elevated stuff doesn't do justice for me I like a bit of shotgun thunder watching cloud bases. This evaporating rain and distant rumbles don't do it. So I'm all honesty don't give up cos tommorow looks good, of which met have issued a warning for !! So yh tommorow is breakdown day, not today 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
35 minutes ago, Harry said:

Fingers crossed. NMM is my favourite model for storm prediction 👍

Lightning x2  - No Thunder in Zone 1