Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
21 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's incredible to think that it's going to be 10C warmer tomorrow. I'm sat out in the garden trying to cool down!

Yep just about to sit down and have my tea on the garden table, best part of the day for me, I'm dreading tomo and Tuesday but I'm not planning on doing any work as I cut the hedge, fixed some fence panels and treated it all (best time for creosote as it's bone dry) will be taking the dogs late tonight and early mornings before the heat takes hold.

Other than that hiding in the living room and a quick walk outside when I make a brew just to experience these kinds of temp in the UK.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Something I discovered today. I have a fan in the bathroom set on the lightbulb switch, so I unscrewed the lightbulb and left the fan running. Made a MASSIVE difference to the temperature in there. I was really surprised.

Just a little tip!

Oh, and if you're wondering how to see: a torch or the shaver light bulb.

Edited by Mark Smithy
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I covered most of the windows in the rooms I use regularly with foil silver side out. Windows open early doors until the temperature outside reaches the same temperature inside  then I close the windows. Yesterday the house was mostly 22C apart from the room which had my pc and weather equipment which got to 23C. Today I erred slightly forgetting to close the backroom window until later which bumped temperatures up a degree or so. Then made another mistake off pulling the curtain back upstairs where my pc is after the sun moved round to the front of the house. The big window was covered in foil but I didn't covered the small window wanting some light hence opening the curtain. Mistake temperature zoomed up to 25C. Staying stubbornly warm despite the air con. Hopefully later tonight temperatures will drop lower enough to open the windows and let the heat out again.

Tomorrow and Tuesday the big test.

Good effort Pit, I'm waiting for the temp to drop below the inside temp until I open everything up. Should be a low of 16/17/18 roundabout here so my last chance of realy cooling everything down before the big 2 days.. roll in Wednesday ☺️

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

This heat is not bad, humidity is very low now in London.  Reminds me of Las Vegas or Abu Dhabi outside of the peak heat.

Posted
1 minute ago, Robbie Garrett said:

This heat is not bad, humidity is very low now in London.  Reminds me of Las Vegas or Abu Dhabi outside of the peak heat.

Not at moment ☺️

• Like 1

Posted

Curiously on the South coast its suddenly got warmer in the past 2 hours. Been warm all day now suddenly getting hot and its nearly 1/2 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Certainly not a dry heat here with dew points at 14C. Could be worse but a far cry from desert heat.

Posted
1 minute ago, simple68 said:

Curiously on the South coast its suddenly got warmer in the past 2 hours. Been warm all day now suddenly getting hot and its nearly 1/2 8

It might be that wind wind has changed to blowing offshore. Inland here it’s now from the West instead of the South which it was all day.

More intrigued by the mid level convection and showers in this region.

Posted
1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

It might be that wind wind has changed to blowing offshore. Inland here it’s now from the West instead of the South which it was all day.

More intrigued by the mid level convection and showers in this region.

The models completed whiffed on that convection, looks like there was enough instablity to set things off.

Doesn't mean too much though as we are about to import from much drier air overnight as the plume moves in.

Posted

Starting to cool down here now at 25c.

Posted

Still 25.2C here too.

Perhaps the most surprising thing today was how dry the air was here so close to the coast. We fell to a humidity of just 27%, which is pretty much unheard of outside of the Spring months. Even now it's just 49%.

It'll be interesting to see the dewpoints tomorrow as the air was suggested to be even drier.

Edited by reef
Phone spellchecker!
  • Like 5

Posted

@staplehurst or anyone else for that matter... Any idea if there's a website that shows the all time temp records per weather station in the UK? I'm trying to find out what the all time max day time temp is for Wattisham, Suffolk. 

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, reef said:

Still 25.2C here too.

Perhaps the most surprising thing today was how dry the air was here so close to the coast. We fell to a humidity of just 27%, which is pretty much unheard of outside of the Spring months. Even now it's just 49%.

It'll be interesting to see the dewpoints tomorrow as the air was suggested to be even drier.

There was one bizarre GFS run the other day showing 40C air temps and dew points of around zero! Now THAT'S desert heat.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Fwiw 🤷‍♂️ my old 'chalk' cottage which is end of a row with duel aspect lounge n main bedroom, both south n west facing windows, today south facing windows n blinds shut, west facing blinds at 50/50, windows wide open, bathroom/kitchen East facing, both windows wide open, good air flow, the dining room (middle) of the cottage is currently 20°c, i prefer air flow rather than stagnant air and i ain't sticking foil over my windows! The next few days will see if i end up eating humble pie!! 😂🔥👍

• Like 3

Posted

Scary and excitment for next 2 days I m actually hyped about this to just experience it,I `ve never been abroad to experierce that sort of heat...

Look after the pets mine live in a cool place thick stone walls old buildings...

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Scary and excitment for next 2 days I m actually hyped about this to just experience it,I `ve never been abroad to experierce that sort of heat...

Look after the pets mine live in a cool place thick stone walls old buildings...

Same here Snowy, cooled my two Boarders off with a cold shower mid-afternoon. Will be keeping them inside for the next two days apart from v early/v late walks and a quick run into the lawn..

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Polar Maritime said:

Same here Snowy, cooled my two Boarders off with a cold shower mid-afternoon. Will be keeping them inside for the next two days apart from v early/v late walks and a quick run into the lawn..

I suspect here temps even overnight are probably going to be very marginal when it comes to walking temperatures for dogs, especially Monday night.

Sadly for them they probably will have one very early morning walk tomorrow and that will be there lot other than wee/poo breaks. I've got a 1 year old who is still just as hyper as a puppy so 2 days without a proper walk is going to be rough!

• Like 2

Posted

Today was quite lovely really - it’s been a very pleasant spell down here and I was lucky enough to spend 2 days at the end of last week down in Brighton.

Next two days look a bit mental. Gonna keep a good eye on my dog and if things get too dicey I’ll just put us both in the bath or shower. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I was in Las Vegas at the end of May this year, and during the first few days the temperature got up to 39°c. At night, you could definitely feel the heat, but as the humidity was so low you didn’t really sweat while walking around outside. It felt more like opening the door to your oven. Dry, furnace like heat. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms
18 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Looking at the Met office radar some of those showers effecting the sw and south look very heavy .

So some people who were thinking great let’s have an evening barbecue are going to be hacked off to say the least .

A pretty poor effort from the BBC and Met Office who made no mention at all of any showers .

Most of it not reaching the ground.

Posted
1 minute ago, Candice said:

Most of it not reaching the ground.

People have already said further up the  page it is landing on the ground