Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
15 minutes ago, Jan said:

Currently at 4.22pm its 43.1c here 🥵 20% humidity. Inside temp is 31.2c, back door is open though for the dogs to roam in and out

Presumably in Spain ?

• Like 2

Just now, kold weather said:

Soon all eyes will be turning to the overnight period, and whether we break it. A bit of a complex forecast as some areas on higher ground may well dip into the very hot flow between 950-900hpa which is running somewhere between 28-30c and staying that way basically throughout.

It's pretty much a formality that we will break the minimum record either tonight or tomorrow night.

And tomorrow really is going to be a historic day. Even with global warming, I'd be surprised if it happens again in the next 20 years, perhaps longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
3 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Presumably in Spain ?

No Liverpool, thermometer is in the sun now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 minute ago, BenFreeman_91 said:

Just noticed this crop up on the MO app? I hope this heat does go out with a bang! 

Screenshot_20220718-173949_Met Office.jpg

Well looking at the mo weekly forecast there seems little widespread thundery activity late tomorrow which i find amazing...must be the dry air..

1 minute ago, Jan said:

No Liverpool, thermometer is in the sun now

Impressive but its the shade temps that matter..😀

Posted

3 stations on 38.0 C

Jersey Airport (84 m)38.0 °C

Lakenheath (10 m)38.0 °C

Cambridge (15 m)38.0 °C

• Thanks 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mark Smithy said:

Because what they lacked today they make up for tomorrow.

This isn't difficult. Originally the models had the low from Biscay pushing up more quickly and the advancing front pushing through much faster than it is. Those c. 6 hours made all the difference to the maxima both for today (slightly lower) and especially for Tuesday (much higher).

In many ways this is the ideal scenario for those who wanted records broken because it works in every way to ensure that Tuesday will be peak heat. It will build off an already hot day and night, with the perfect temperature profile tomorrow.

We're going well over 40C tomorrow.

The Daily Mail are certainly ramping this ...

755798098_Screenshot2022-07-18at17_12_37.thumb.png.719c5e0759634c8819035fd0239ca1fc.png

nothing like inducing panic in people "thousands of deaths" these online newspapers are a disgrace.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, SLEETY said:

nothing like inducing panic in people "thousands of deaths" these online newspapers are a disgrace.

I'm not sure why you think this.

Its been proven that previous heatwaves of this calibre have literally caused 1k+ deaths. You may not like it, but thems the facts.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Got up to 37⁰c, smashing my previous record by 2.5⁰c. Partly looking forward to seeing how high the UK temperature can go tomorrow and partly dreading the trying to keep cool. It's been and still is hard enough today.

Also wishing for a thunderstorm.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
11 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Soon all eyes will be turning to the overnight period, and whether we break it. A bit of a complex forecast as some areas on higher ground may well dip into the very hot flow between 950-900hpa which is running somewhere between 28-30c and staying that way basically throughout.

Yes Snowdon summit is forecast 28C at midnight. A record without doubt for the summit

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
5 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

3 stations on 38.0 C

Jersey Airport (84 m)38.0 °C

Lakenheath (10 m)38.0 °C

Cambridge (15 m)38.0 °C

Santon Downham hit 38.1C.

• Like 1

Posted

The wind has actually been blowing hot air, that's very unusual round here for sure. A bit more of that altocumulus has appeared in the last hour though 2-4pm were largely cloudless, the question is what will tomorrow bring? Will the cloud hold off until at least 5pm in which case we might go higher, will we get a bang, or will we just get a load of murky muggy rubbish a la 10th Aug 2003 or 1st July 2015?

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'm not sure why you think this.

Its been proven that previous heatwaves of this calibre have literally caused 1k+ deaths. You may not like it, but thems the facts.

how many deaths have been reported so far   ,are you really expecting thousands of extra people to die by end of tomorrow?

The humidity is low which makes a huge difference regarding this heat,stepping out the plane to 35c with 53% humidity at Orlando international Airport was unbearable,could hardly breath,a few years ago.

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Still temp still creeping up, at 36.3C, and humidity very low at 25%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
9 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Well looking at the mo weekly forecast there seems little widespread thundery activity late tomorrow which i find amazing...must be the dry air..

Impressive but its the shade temps that matter..😀

I know, just been out and moved it, but the sun travels round the house everyday 🙄

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

how many deaths have been reported so far   ,are you really expecting thousands of extra people to die by end of tomorrow

The humidity is low which makes a huge difference regarding this heat,stepping out the plane to 35c with 53% humidity at Orlando international Airport was unbearable,could hardly breath,a few years ago.

Excess deaths won't be known for a while yet, but remember the people who suffer in the next 24hrs may not die for days, even weeks yet depending on the exact cause.

We can really only go on what past heatwaves have given us, even more modest heatwaves can kill a surprising number though, yet alone a proper intense blast like this one. I'm not sure it'd be thousands over these 2 days, but I'd be willing to bet we will be north of 500, at least.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, BenFreeman_91 said:

Has 38.7 been broken today?

Possibly - won’t know the Cambridge sites until tomorrow morning. It did seem to be hotter here through the day than everywhere else though, so it’s a possibility.

Posted

BBC Weather claiming now on Newschannel that 39c is expected at 6pm I assume this is a recorded weather bulletin though 5.55pm is normally live.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Definitely hottest it's been here and also first time i've caught heat rash as i've got some dotted blister-like spots on my arms even though I was under the shade on my lounger and have full sunscreen on just amazing and the inside of the house feels like what florida feels like stepping outside in the summer 🤣

Posted
13 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Yes ... and no.

The previous plume wave caused 1600 excess deaths according to official Gov't statistics. This plume is far worse, with much higher temperatures.

The question is this: if the danger tomorrow (and tonight) is reported responsibly, might it help prevent some of those excess deaths? If the answer to that is 'yes', which I would suggest it clearly is, then it should be reported.

The key word there and the one to which you allude is responsibly. And that's not a word I would associate with the Daily Mail.

• Like 3

Posted

Suddenly feels far more oppressive now the sun has gone behind the clouds! Going to be a hot night 🌙🔥 

Edited by BenFreeman_91
  • Like 1