Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Back in 'Western European' style clothing but still in vest & shorts & in my hammock at 10:25 pm.....this I can do!

In all honesty the 'Kaftan' was a pleasant surprise?

Anything beyond 25C & I melt (these days?) but neary a drip today???

I'm glad I 'tried it out ' as I now feel more confident about getting through the next few days (and future heat incursions?) & not suffering as I have since the Post-Viral Syndrome messed me up in 2010 (every time it's warm?)

Each to their own I suppose but I'm a convert! (17 quid!) ....who'd have thunk desert dwellers could come up with clothing that deals with extreme heat....thousands of years ago... eh?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I talked my other half into going to our house near Cordoba earlier this year, to avoid the high summer temps, only to get caught in a heatwave there in mid April. Thought a nice British summer through July/August here, here it comes again, thank god its only a couple of days. I'm just hoping there's a thunderstorm at the end of it

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

05:20… Well that was a genuinely awful/horrible night to have experienced! 

People only like summer because it was our main time off for like twelve years or so whilst we were in school. It’s like ‘they’ tried to condition our minds to like it! 

The actual season of summer with all of its relentless sunshine, heat, bugs is just absolutely atrocious!! 😵💫😩

Anyway… After only a few restless hours of disturbed sleep due to this damn heat and it’s safe to say that I feel drained and washed out! 

Oh boy the rest of today is going to be hilarious fun… NOT! 😵💫😩

Suppose I’d better go and take the dog for a walk before the sun comes up and it gets even hotter. 🐶🥵

… It’s days like this that I wished so lived in Lerwick! 🥵

Edit: I’m sounding more and more like Laserguy with each passing day! … Whatever happened to him?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

People only like summer because it was our main time off for like twelve years or so whilst we were in school. It’s like ‘they’ tried to condition our minds to like it! 

The actual season of summer with all of its relentless sunshine, heat, bugs is just absolutely atrocious!! 😵💫😩

Anyway… After only a few restless hours of disturbed sleep due to this damn heat and it’s safe to say that I feel drained and washed out! 

Suppose I’d better go and take the dog for a walk before the sun comes up and it gets even hotter. 🐶🥵

Edit: I’m sounding more and more like Laserguy with each passing day! … Whatever happened to him?

mosquitos, hay fever, air pollution, wasps, the good thing is the extra daylight as nobody wants it getting dark at 5pm. The sun is welcome but anything over 27c is pointless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes.

I've just opened all the doors and windows in the house and have some lovely cool air blowing through at the moment. I'll leave them open until about 9am then close everything and draw all the curtains. I know the house will still get warm later but this will hopefully help make it more manageable.

Please don't forget to put bowls of water out for the creatures we share this planet with. It's been incredibly dry here the last few weeks. It's ok for us, we have water on tap, the animals don't. 

Many thanks and keep cool😊

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well the cloud kept the temperatures up overnight low of 20.7C. Now slowly rising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

we made the decision after last night  that our daughter is not going into a school which in their own words is not set up for hot weather like this. Not only that, but i don't want to be in 39c either, considering i was feeling ill in 31c.

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

I hear you. Room was 30c with window wide open and 2 fans. We have now  got a portable air con that was very kindly delivered to us early, but it was too late last night to sort it out.  Feel awful this morning.

I hope people are ok thought-out this hot spell, here we go.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
48 minutes ago, Dami said:

we made the decision after last night  that our daughter is not going into a school which in their own words is not set up for hot weather like this. Not only that, but i don't want to be in 39c either, considering i was feeling ill in 31c.

Bloody good for you Dami, an extremely wise decision.  I've watched with horror your posts about the school.  If my lovely daughter was school age I'd be doing the same.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Sidsnake said:

Bloody good for you Dami, an extremely wise decision.  I've watched with horror your posts about the school.  If my lovely daughter was school age I'd be doing the same.  

It's not very often my Husband takes her out of school either. He made the final call. 

I can't see the point if all they are doing is just being in a room with no air con, if parents can have them home for their safety i don't understand the problem personally. I'm glad she's not a wee tot, poor things 😞 

• Like 4

Posted

Don't look at the GFS 00z if you want cool and fresh weather after this heat blast. Im still wondering, what would it take to get a below average temp month..

Posted

Well, up at 5.20am this morning for daily bike ride, which I normally take at lunchtime to give a decent screen break from work, so later work start, and shorter lunch break for a couple of days

Changed plans for Tuesday, forecast here is 28c ish, but where I was going Tuesday is forecast to reach 39c. I am not going to travel or work in that. So I have rescheduled to Thursday.

Work have produced a 'risk assessment', to be honest the only use for it is to perforate every 4 inches and save it for the next toilet paper shortage, as they manipulate it so that they dont actually have to do anything. Fortunately as a contractor I do have some freedom of action, so I have made my decisions. EHSQ dept obviously have degrees in Whitewashing and Carpet lifting...

Trains locally are cancelled from Mid morning today until Wednesday morning, People are moaning but given that UK railway tracks are not stressed to deal with 40c (Its to do with the continuously welded rail, it needs different installation conditions to cope with higher temps), I actual think its the right call, I dont want to be on a train confronted with this

image.thumb.png.56979593b084385fe0182aecc1dcb7e5.png

Another longer term concern is water resources, its been a very dry year here so far, just enough light showers to ensure that it doesn't look parched like it did in 1976, but still a serious rain deficit, so I reckon hosepipe bans and other restrictions are not far off.

Which sort of brings me to a bit of a rant: People who say' oh well summer of 1976 was hot and everything didnt grind to a halt.' July 1976 max was 35.9, Tuesday forecast is 42 in Lincolshire, thats 6 degrees higher than 1976, and to date that temperature has been passed 5 times since 2000, with the record being pushed ever higher. There were 10 years between 1958 and 1981 where the highest temperature recorded never passed 30C. Since 2000, none.

Edited by mike57
spelling
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
1 minute ago, Frigid said:

Don't look at the GFS 00z if you want cool and fresh weather after this heat blast. Im still wondering, what would it take to get a below average temp month..

I already did, and I've gone full Brenda from Bristol over it. "You're joking. Not another one?!?"

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Sadly I have non in stock .. but I wondered if that greenhouse   'coolglass' white paint 
would be a useful idea for house windows to add another layer of shade. 
It is easily wiped/washed off afterwards.

Take care of yourselves and the your pets / wildlife folks !

BL.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Bedroom organised now, ac unit set up properly, sealed the window around the exhaust, all vents closed......The Alamo is set and ready for me to retreat to!

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

Don't look at the GFS 00z if you want cool and fresh weather after this heat blast. I'm still wondering, what would it take to get a below average temp month..

They're saying on the model thread it's a massive outlier. It's one run out on its own at the minute. Everything in a generally Westerly regime from Weds onwards, but with the pool of heat over Europe it won't take much to be back into a hot spell again (unfortunately for us in this thread!)

• Like 2

Posted

A sultry night in Brighton! I took half a paracetamol at about 1am and managed to sleep an hour later. Off and on sleep until 7:30. Tonight will certainly be worse and even Tuesday night doesn't look much better.

Posted
3 hours ago, Dami said:

Good call. I'm not going to send my 3yo son to nursery either. I asked them and all they are going to do is to keep all the kids together inside in one room! How is this supposed to help!?!? No way

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, karyo said:

A sultry night in Brighton! I took half a paracetamol at about 1am and managed to sleep an hour later. Off and on sleep until 7:30. Tonight will certainly be worse and even Tuesday night doesn't look much better.

I only got about 5 hrs of sleep, feeling quite drowsy and the heat won't help. Tonight will be a nightmare to sleep in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Well yesterday we had temps up to 28c and humid with it. Even my outdoor thermometer agreed with the weather stations! Hoping it won't get that warm today, we're currently at 22c with lots of cloud. Perfect for midges! 😃

Posted
3 hours ago, Dami said:

Good call. I was thinking to do the same but decided against it and sent all of them to school for 2 reasons. Firstly, we come from a Mediterranean country and our children are quite used to high temperatures. Secondly, I predict that max T up here won't go above 35-36c in this heatwave. 39c or 40c makes a big difference. 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, karyo said:

How times change. I lived 3miles away from the sea growing up and never remember my parents putting a fan on, just opened the windows. I don't remember feeling overly hot in a ground floor flat either.  Hope you get some sea mist, it is amazing how cool it makes it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

As I suspected it looks like peak might be today up here as there's more cloud and possibly showers tomorrow. 29c forecast both days which seems to be the cap, I can't remember it ever reaching 30c even on the day the Scottish record was set although that's bad enough with the upstairs temp likely getting into the high 30s. First time i've seen a tropical night forecast here too but I think it might just drop below 20c for an hour or two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Bedroom organised now, ac unit set up properly, sealed the window around the exhaust, all vents closed......The Alamo is set and ready for me to retreat to!

Careful by sealing the window you will draw air through the door to the bedroom and warm that part up as the exhaust creates negative air pressure.