Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Peninsular Italy and southern Balkans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
On 24/04/2023 at 06:22, Josh Romano said:

The violent heat wave that is expected for the next few days in Spain and Portugal will also affect Italy but in a more attenuated way. April 2023 is turning out to be cool in mainland Italy, it will probably be the coolest since 2001 or 1997, depending on the area and it is the first month cooler than the average of 81/10 since March 2022

Love how you use the word Violent😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😃😄😅😁😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Until now it has been a very variable May in mainland Italy, alternating cooler days with others with temperatures around 25°C. However, from the middle of the month a more stable and warm or hot phase could begin.

Edited by Josh Romano
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Red warning for rain tomorrow for northern Italy with wider warnings for strong winds and heavy, thundery rain.  

https://twitter.com/AllertaMeteoRER

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, Head, Person

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The tragedy of the flood in Emilia Romagna was truly terrible...many victims (mainly the elderly) and serious material damage. But all of Italy is geologically very fragile... This May 2023 in some areas is the wettest of the historical series, while thermally it is slightly cooler than the average 81/10 but not exaggeratedly like May 1995, May 2004, May 2019. Instead, I see the very different situation in the Portuguese Algarve, where a very hot and dry spring continues

• Like 2

Posted

An extremely rainy May in peninsular Italy is coming to an end, especially in the eastern regions... Thermally it was a normal month, referring to the average 81/10 and in general spring 2023, with ups and downs, was thermally average.

I point out the strong heat in Tbilisi, Georgia, today, with 30 C and the high temperatures of the Montenegrin coast

• Like 1

Posted

I point out the 30 C yesterday in Podgorica and also in mainland Italy the temperatures have risen, due to the sirocco winds

Edited by Josh Romano
  • Like 2

Posted

We are having a very rainy start of June in mainland Italy, especially on the Tyrrhenian side. Temperatures for now are close to the 81/10 average or slightly lower in some regions, such as Calabria.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Lightning strikes in last two weeks. Also posted in Spain thread. We had some while on holiday near Dubrovnik but nothing like Italy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
16 hours ago, Norrance said:

Lightning strikes in last two weeks. Also posted in Spain thread. We had some while on holiday near Dubrovnik but nothing like Italy. 

My wife was in Split last week, they managed to dodge the showers and stay sunny and dry but whilst she was out on a boat trip there were a few heavy showers not far away, and a few lightning strikes that literally started very small fires as they hit the ground. 

Posted

So far it has been a very rainy and thermally not hot June in Italy, an old-fashioned June, especially in the Adriatic regions. In the continuation, however, a possible heat wave can be glimpsed

Posted

Tomorrow begins a strong heat wave in peninsular Italy, more intense from Tuesday 20 June, with temperatures widely above 34/35 C in the plains and peaks of 38/39 C. It will also be very hot in Montenegro

Posted

June 2023 in Italy should close with an anomaly of around +0.8 C on the 81/10 average. The first part of the month was relatively cool, the second warmer, especially in the Tyrrhenian regions. A strong heat wave is expected from July 3rd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
8 hours ago, Josh Romano said:

June 2023 in Italy should close with an anomaly of around +0.8 C on the 81/10 average. The first part of the month was relatively cool, the second warmer, especially in the Tyrrhenian regions. A strong heat wave is expected from July 3rd.

Im in Rome from tomorrow until Monday. Looks like there may be some showers. Are you expecting many in the Rome region?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

From what I can make out on the BBC, Google and Met Office Rome doesn't look too extreme next week, around or just above 30. The uncomfortable weather is the following week with a constant 35 each day (BBC; the other two don't go out that far).

All three forecasts suggest thunder/showers over this coming weekend.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
17 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

From what I can make out on the BBC, Google and Met Office Rome doesn't look too extreme next week, around or just above 30. The uncomfortable weather is the following week with a constant 35 each day (BBC; the other two don't go out that far).

All three forecasts suggest thunder/showers over this coming weekend.

I don't know, generally I don't follow storm events much, I prefer to focus on the temperature profile. Models confirm a severe heatwave but push it forward chronologically from a few days ago

On 30/06/2023 at 00:05, danm said:

Im in Rome from tomorrow until Monday. Looks like there may be some showers. Are you expecting many in the Rome region?

I don't know, generally I don't follow storm events much, I prefer to focus on the temperature profile. Models confirm a severe heatwave but push it forward chronologically from a few days ago

Posted

A strong and prolonged heat wave is about to begin in mainland Italy, with temperatures ranging widely between 35 and 39 C for many days, perhaps weeks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Thanks for these Josh, we have seen many storms in the Northern part of Italy in the last two weeks, is the drought situation now resolved, or not critical any more?

Further, what temps and weather do you predict for Bologna next weekend.?

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, matty40s said:

Thanks for these Josh, we have seen many storms in the Northern part of Italy in the last two weeks, is the drought situation now resolved, or not critical any more?

Further, what temps and weather do you predict for Bologna next weekend.?

In truth, as I have written many times, I follow peninsular Italy, not northern Italy, so I can only tell you that Bologna too will be affected by the incoming heat wave, with maximum temperatures of 37/38 C and minimums of 22/ 24 c

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Good morning! The heat will be very intense these days in peninsular Italy (which does NOT include northern Italy, which should be the subject of a separate thread!). Will exceed 35C for several days in Rome and Naples, probably 40C in Bari and Catania, possibly Cagliari

Posted

An extraordinary heat wave is underway in central and southern Italy, with temperatures that for many days will widely exceed 36/37 C, with peaks of 43 C in some areas highly exposed to heat peaks. Feels like being in Egypt these days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Oh dear , oh dear, off to Bologna on Friday, looks like we will be on the (air-con) train to the coast.

6000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

High pressure forecast to raise temperatures to 48C as hot weather sweeps Spain, France, Germany and Poland