Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

July 2013: An underrated summer month

Earthshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

With an impressive CET of 18.5C and a very warm maximum CET of 24.0C (0.2C lower than 1976), July 2013 was IMO one of the best summer months of the past 10 years, particularly coming off the back of a cool June.  However, not many people seem to remember this month for its summery spells.  In fact, in a recent poll by the Met Office, many people thought this month was an absolute wash out (despite it being anything but).  I have many fond memories of the cloudless blue skies and days regularly reaching 80F+.  What are everyone else's opinions of this month?

daily_meantemp_cet_2013.png

Edited by Earthshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Don’t know about it being underrated. I put it only slightly below 2018, purely because of the more unsettled final week.

I think many people might confuse it with July 2012… which was indeed a washout.

• Like 1

Posted

Spent pretty much the whole month outside, consistently comfortably warmer than average, don't remember anything too hot. Up there with the best of 2018 imo.

• Like 1

Posted

A fantastic month here- I think it was actually one of the better summer months ever recorded in Manchester- I seem to recall it ranking very highly on weather-history's Manchester Summer Index- although that was the summer as a whole I think.

That said it was by far the best of the 3 summer months in 2013 so it was the main reason for this stat.

I can't recall many better Julys in my lifetime. I'm a bit young to remember the details of 1995 (I think that summer was more about the remarkable August anyway) and July 2003 was more mixed.

The only July that really betters it is 2006 in my lifetime and possibly 2018- for Manchester at least.

I recall it being consistently sunny almost all the way through the month and remarkably consistent temperature-wise. Most days were in the 25-27C range here with a few hotter days, mostly towards the end of the month. A really wonderful month.

• Like 1

Posted

I certainly remember July 2013 as being a hot summer month.  Guys were allowed to wear shorts to the office as the aircon failed and mobile units kept tripping the electrics!

• Like 1

Posted

A terrific summer month, I was in my first ever job at the time so have fond memories of that summer. It felt even better coming off the back of a series of truly horrific summer months in the previous few years and the very cold spring. 

The first three weeks of the month were hot but it never really felt uncomfortable. There was a brilliant thundery spell in the third week when the heat broke down also. A proper thundery breakdown, not the pathetic attempt we had after the recent insanely hot spell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I certainly havnt forgot it.As a farmer trying to make hay it was a fantastic month ,the best summer month for 7 years since 2006,fantastic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Amazing month. So much warm/hot and sunny weather. 

Here are the daily maximums for London:

113674C2-A187-4C79-A942-09B7ACE3C6FE.thumb.jpeg.2842f1c8a6e89d5b62389968576aa37c.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Remember it fondly, spent some time in Norfolk and it was hot. It was the best month we had seen overall for consistent heat and sunshine and dry weather since July 2006 - which it didn't quite eclipse. It was very welcomed after the run of exceptionally poor summers since 2006.

I would rank it equally as good as 2018, and a little behind 2006. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Not sure why it's underrated, here on Netweather I and others only refer to it in golden terms.

A fantastic 3 week pressure spell of endless 30C ish days, reasonable humidity (around 30% most days) and lots of sunshine. 

Best July since 2006 still (2018 got overly humid in the second half).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
10 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Not sure why it's underrated, here on Netweather I and others only refer to it in golden terms.

A fantastic 3 week pressure spell of endless 30C ish days, reasonable humidity (around 30% most days) and lots of sunshine. 

Definitely not underated here on Netweather!  I only suggested it may be underrated after the Met Office poll for wettest July on record, I was surprised by the majority vote for July 2013 at the time (although people may be thinking of 2012).

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

Yes, I was just thinking July 2013 was one of those hot summer months which were pleasant and not overly humid!

57 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Definitely not underated here on Netweather!  I only suggested it may be underrated after the Met Office poll for wettest July on record, I was surprised by the majority vote for July 2013 at the time (although people may be thinking of 2012).

I think they must be lol!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Yes, I was just thinking July 2013 was one of those hot summer months which were pleasant and not overly humid!

I think they must be lol!

Much prefer high pressure overhead or to the east or north summer months a la May- July 18, July 06 and 13 than southerly plume or South westerly/ azores high ridge type months as we saw briefly July 22. The latter tend to bring very humid days, much more cloud, greater risk of Atlantic muck and very warm nights here. 

• Like 2

Posted

July 2013 was a brilliant summer month. Coming off the back of a cold spring and a run of very poor summers even by Scotland’s standard. It was most definitely welcome. That was the first summer in a few years where we didn’t fly abroad until the autumn. June 2013 was a pretty average month no warmth just average temperatures but it was dry. Certainly at the time after the cold spring it felt like a very good June and especially after how bad June 2012 was. I remember the first two days of July 2013 being cool and wet but after that the month was brilliant, very warm and sunny days. I spent virtually the whole month outside. The thundery breakdown around the 23rd was also a welcome relief and even during the last week where it was unsettled there was still plenty of sunshine between the thundery showers. August 2013 was also very dry for me I only recorded a third of my usual rainfall. Definitely a summer to remember.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Harry233 said:

July 2013 was a brilliant summer month. Coming off the back of a cold spring and a run of very poor summers even by Scotland’s standard. It was most definitely welcome. That was the first summer in a few years where we didn’t fly abroad until the autumn. June 2013 was a pretty average month no warmth just average temperatures but it was dry. Certainly at the time after the cold spring it felt like a very good June and especially after how bad June 2012 was. I remember the first two days of July 2013 being cool and wet but after that the month was brilliant, very warm and sunny days. I spent virtually the whole month outside. The thundery breakdown around the 23rd was also a welcome relief and even during the last week where it was unsettled there was still plenty of sunshine between the thundery showers. August 2013 was also very dry for me I only recorded a third of my usual rainfall. Definitely a summer to remember.

Second best summer of the last decade, 2018 overall better despite a poor August. 

Posted
On 03/08/2022 at 14:38, damianslaw said:

Second best summer of the last decade, 2018 overall better despite a poor August. 

I 100% agree with you there. May 2018 was also a excellent month in terms of sunshine and warmth. Imagine if May and august were reversed it would probably be one of the best summers in living memory.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i was in the UK from the 4th -18th July 2013..remember it being hot and sunny was bit of a relief going back to Canada where the summer of 2013 was pretty meh TBH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

July 2013 was a good summer month, and was very welcome considering we have just had 6 consecutive mediocre at best summers before that.