Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Must've been just down the road from me then as I was in Seaford all night. Honestly so surreal when the shelf cloud went over, managed to get a short video. Forgive me it's blurry but gives an indication of how mad the front edge was.

IMG_9633.MOV 277.63 kB · 3 downloads  

I have some pictures of just that area as it came in, going through the pics now. I was by that funny little (art piece?, monument?) that has some blurb written on it about the windfarm. (I don't know Seaford well) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
5 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think a summary of last night was

• terrible time for initiation (about 3am)

• far too much rain

• not where people expected it to be

• elevated lightning with heavy precip makes frequency of the lightning a moot point - if all you see is sheet lightning you may as well stay in bed and save the money for a better storm opportunity (wot I did 🙂)

For me, it was far better than expected, so much so I didn’t have to even head for a quick chase. The fact that I had work put a big lid on things for me, as I would’ve probably been up all night monitoring the radar. Last night was that one rare occasion where things actually happened further west than what the models suggested.

I just about woke up in time to see some amazing distant lightning exiting North Norfolk at around 3AM, followed by the main complex approaching from the S at 04:30-05:00AM. A decent night/morning on what has been a very poor year, especially given the heat we have had. Just goes to show that you need the high dew points, and a trigger or cooler air nearby in order to create a buoyant atmosphere, otherwise the heat is just useless. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes

Nice clouds BE64D719-CF11-4F5B-B7F4-85D66429B7E4.thumb.jpeg.19823ea680a27a007837afc952ff62d6.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

I’m in catalunya - storm about 20 miles inland has been raging for hours, but up on the coast it’s a stifling still 30c and more humid than Hong Kong in the summer. I just don’t know what I need to do to get a storm!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
11 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

The first of last nights pics from Seaford. Unfortunately the lightning was a good distance away and these are heavily cropped.
I have more pics as the shelf cloud came in, still going through them. EDIT: Caught the ferry arriving in first pic 🙂

DSC_5355.png

DSC_5357.png

DSC_5369.png

DSC_5381.png

DSC_5403.png

DSC_5422.png

DSC_5456.png

Great pics, particularly the sixth which looks like an Alien spaceship is about to descend from the clouds..very atmospheric...

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Saint coolio said:

I’m in catalunya - storm about 20 miles inland has been raging for hours, but up on the coast it’s a stifling still 30c and more humid than Hong Kong in the summer. I just don’t know what I need to do to get a storm!

There’s going to be some big time storms in the Med this autumn, starting in September I would say. Sea temps are still touching 29-30c in places near the Balearics! Wish I was heading to Majorca or somewhere this year, but unfortunately not! At least we have the cams there I suppose! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting
12 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Another pic, this one of the shelf cloud arriving last night, from Seaford. I have a few pictures taken over a couple of minutes, so I'll make a timelapse and post it when it's finished.

DSC_5465.png

Just wow. Looks like it’s from Oklahoma.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

There’s going to be some big time storms in the Med this autumn, starting in September I would say. Sea temps are still touching 29-30c in places near the Balearics! Wish I was heading to Majorca or somewhere this year, but unfortunately not! At least we have the cams there I suppose! 

Well I can vouch for that. The water off the beaches off costa Brava is exceptionally warm this year - fantastic,

tonight is off the charts humid but storms are stubbornly staying inland / mountainous regions

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
50 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Another pic, this one of the shelf cloud arriving last night, from Seaford. I have a few pictures taken over a couple of minutes, so I'll make a timelapse and post it when it's finished.

DSC_5465.png

That’s amazing 👏 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
52 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

DSC_5465.png

That is a spectacular picture 👍🏻

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
1 hour ago, Stormhog said:

DSC_5465.png

Wow,a few miles West of you in Saltdean and it certainly ramped up the winds as it moved in.

Unfortunately I was sleeping on its approach and awoke to the mayhem of strobe lightning,high winds and torrential rain at 430am so missed the beauty of channel lightning before the rain curtain obscured it.

I would assume these pictures were taken 330am to 4am?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
2 hours ago, Stormhog said:

DSC_5465.png

This is absolutely unreal, great shot mate! I was in Shoreham and got under a direct hit and the lightning there went berserk very quickly. Could see the shelf heading towards the seaford area from where I was!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
9 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

We recently got back from Majorca and it was hot hot hot!!! Banging storm last Thursday there. Huge hail after heavy rain. Cracking!!!

F984B821-C7F6-4121-9CA6-C10B9E323F9D.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Another snippet of a storm earlier in the week. This is the storm that battered Menorca before moving East toward Corsica…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
11 hours ago, Stormhog said:

DSC_5465.png

Love that picture

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

wow oh wow. When i lived down south we would get storms but nothing as stunning.  Jealous., lol

14 hours ago, Stormhog said:

DSC_5465.png

I had to bookmark this picture. There are just no words.

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, winterfreak said:

Another snippet of a storm earlier in the week. This is the storm that battered Menorca before moving East toward Corsica…

This is one of the best vids I’ve seen of that same one so far. A real crazy storm. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

This year has been amazing here for Storm structure but the trouble is that most of it has happened at night and my phone isn't as good at capturing structure as my old phone because my old phone had a light painting ability on its camera.

My old phone

image.thumb.png.d205740972110916219fa04c4158b92e.png.d5e541424d38342e3b0e399651949e1b.png.c2d1d20ce26975d7d6403fd17a4b232c.png

Vs what an attempt would look like with my new phone

20220826_144153909.thumb.jpg.31b38474e460869a07f842e10669ee67.jpg

Still prefer my new phone because its Pro camera is much better on it.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

This is one of the best vids I’ve seen of that same one so far. A real crazy storm. 

My video did it no justice at all. Watched it from our balcony at about 3am. Spectacular…

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Here is my video of the storms around West and East Sussex early Thursday morning. Apologies for the length of it, it is in 2 stages. Watching it from Worthing and then chasing it across West Sussex and East Sussex.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
21 hours ago, Stormhog said:

DSC_5465.png

One of the best shelf cloud pictures I've seen from the UK, well done!

• Like 1