Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Nice suprise thunderstorm here, witg torrential rain. Thats storm 6 for the year!!

• Like 3

Posted

It's been threatening looking towards the south horizon most of this afternoon here, and we've just had a few raindrops, but it's not looking great for us to get much more than that, I think.

Funnily enough, late last night, I was surprised by a strange sound on my home office window, only to realise it was raining! A peek at the radar revealed a small solitary rain cloud, whizzing from east to west coast at an impressive speed, that briefly passed over Brum giving a quick splash of H2O. Talk about out of nowhere!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The sky has been looking reasonable unstable here this afternoon/evening. Not so that it’s going to keep me glued to my window however.

Good luck all of those in the risk zone 👍

Edit - just popped upstairs to see if I could see the Brighton cell (I can’t). But some really nice looking instability emerging 

2C7DA1C9-057E-4BFB-8DB5-B3A572EB6806.jpeg

E2290C0A-4794-4EEF-92F2-0C2962560617.jpeg

Edited by Harry
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
6 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Screenshot_20220901-195431_Video Player.jpg

Just been looking in your direction from the heights of Saltdean,some lovely CC forks as darkness decends and a couple of CG forks.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
8 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Just been looking in your direction from the heights of Saltdean,some lovely CC forks as darkness decends and a couple of CG forks.

Can still see it flashing away to the north.q

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.

Some nice activity starting to pick up this evening,had a half decent storm an hour or so ago in hickstead when at work but was slightly further west of my locale at the time. Eyes on the skies and the radar now and best of luck for people wanting storms.

1 hour ago, Freeze said:

Brilliant shot mate hopefully we'll see some more later on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 hours ago, Freeze said:

That's a good freeze,...Freeze😁,nice shot👍

Edit: and as for next week,....more of the same is looking more and more likely with 50-60% for my area Tue/Wed and Thus and i will be finishing at 2pm.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Activity looking very sparse out there, as expected. I'm gonna call it a night on this occasion and go to bed as there's not too much to get excited about on that radar, at least currently 

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Activity looking very sparse out there, as expected. I'm gonna call it a night on this occasion and go to bed as there's not too much to get excited about on that radar, at least currently 

Trouble with these storms that come over from europe,, 1st they come france, and these storms behave fantastic for them,, then they hit our beloved english channel and its 50/50 if they stay active. But the moment they hit our shores they fade and decay.

Been like that for quiet awhile lately. cant put my finger on why its like that now.

Anyway im off to work and hopefully see some homebrews later maybe!

• Like 1

Posted

As the summer storm season draws to a close imby I would say it has been a definate 'quantity over quality' storm season.

Seven different incidents of thundery episodes with my highest mark being 6/10 on one occasion.

For me personally I would swap this for a couple of real 'humdingers' where I would score an 8 or 9 out of 10.

That would be based on a prolonged storm that lands overhead for a while ( never happened this year)

We tended to have all the good ingredients spread over  differing storms rather than packing them into one or two situations,but as I say never overhead.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Some real opportunities for quite a few coming in over the next week, as that cut off low loiters out to our SW! The South and Southwest could see some decent SB storms forming over the warm seas underneath that cooling air above. Waterspouts definitely not out of the question either! Widespread activity looking likely after this weekend. 

• Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

As the summer storm season draws to a close in imby I would say it has been a definate 'quantity over quality' storm season.

Seven different incidents of thundery episodes with my highest mark being 6/10 on one occasion.

For me personally I would swap this for a couple of real 'humdingers' where I would score an 8 or 9 out of 10.

That would be based on a prolonged storm that lands overhead for a while ( never happened this year)

We tended to have all the good ingredients spread over  differing storms rather than packing them into one or two situations,but as I say never overhead.

I would rate my storm season this year as N/A. 

Not a single rumble of thunder this year.

Not a single rumble of thunder last year either lol.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I would rate the storm season this year as....

Hang on, it's not over yet 😁. Next week looks the best week so far this year for a more widespread thunderstorm risk. Probably a risk somewhere in the UK on every day from today onwards, with the better and more substantial risks from Monday onwards.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
3 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I would rate the storm season this year as....

Hang on, it's not over yet 😁. Next week looks the best week so far this year for a more widespread thunderstorm risk. Probably a risk somewhere in the UK on every day from today onwards, with the better and more substantial risks from Monday onwards.

Yeah.. Its been pretty poor.
Considering the amount of heat, we have had almost nothing.

Some low pressure systems with heat should be good.
There are normally many showers on the tail end south of the lows, so bringing warm moist air up might give us some real good daytime showers and storms.

All starts from Sunday!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Im thinking next week could be similar to the week in June 2020 especially between 13th - 17th June 2020, where every day during those days there were thunderstorms somewhere, especially in the Midlands, but this time it could be more widespread.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Hopefully still on for some interesting set ups into the start of next week. UKV currently showing a Kent Clipper for Tuesday night, for example 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Decent wind (no greater than 35kts) and sunny.

Spectacular storm in Stranraer semi frequent lightning and very heavy rain, moved north and has died down now.

• Like 5