Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Definition of a severe storm in Norfolk.

Damp tarmac for approx 800m and a few leaves on the road as it got a bit breezy for 10 minutes. 😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Tamsin said:

I hope they come quickly.  At least you're not stuck in the middle of nowhere x

They were very quick and I am home now 🙂

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
10 hours ago, Stormhog said:

A few from last nights storms, from Seaford.
Unfortunately I was late to the party,  If I had turned up just half an hour earlier I would have caught much more, better prepared today.

DSC_5505c.png

DSC_5506b.png

DSC_5512c.png

DSC_5514c.png

DSC_5518c.png

DSC_5521c.png

These are awesome shots mate,the structure of the storms last night were brilliant. Best I've seen for quite some time now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

What a night. I don’t think I’ve seen so much lightning in one evening, the bonus of living by the channel I guess. Like most events this year the main party happened either further east or further west but have a channel side seat allowed for distant viewing from 8pm until now. a couple of cells produced overhead, but as always seems the way they seemed to slow down as they traveled over and pep up again once past the bexhill bubble! still an amazing night. There is footage and photos of tonight and last night, will upload when I’ve trawled through it all. 

• Like 4

Posted
9 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

I had to take screengrabs of that bad boy 🙂

1.thumb.png.10284f5476b308307c3fc48642c56abc.png1.5.thumb.png.0b611e6ccacb15cb13b91283d2e07187.png2.thumb.png.77b33895a72edb92f830c47ba192870c.png

Jesus Christ that's a great capture!

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

I was very scared getting this shot earlier. Blistering CG strikes started to rain down out of nowhere while I'm exposed on the top of the highest point in the west of the Island. Exhilarating stuff! 

If only I'd been standing just a little to the left to get both of these strikes fully in frame....

DSC_0063.thumb.jpg.d33295b6d606805ba5570a0278f5fea6.jpg

Stunning capture Lance well done buddy,think that probably would have given me a twitchy moment too!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

I was very scared getting this shot earlier. Blistering CG strikes started to rain down out of nowhere while I'm exposed on the top of the highest point in the west of the Island. Exhilarating stuff! 

If only I'd been standing just a little to the left to get both of these strikes fully in frame....

DSC_0063.thumb.jpg.d33295b6d606805ba5570a0278f5fea6.jpg

That's a corker, mate 👍

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

N o storms here last night just heavy rain gusty winds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy

Lots of heavy rain at around 10pm last night in Stratford upon Avon. Fantastic lightning display.  Unfortunately rain guage which was working in the afternoon, measured nothing.........really annoying and need to take a look.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Safe to say this September is sure making up for the poor summer. What a cracking past couple of days. Still a couple more to go out of this fantastic spell too. Some of the most epic pictures I’ve seen yet on this forum of storms in this country. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Just rain here (i think)  zzzzzz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Threw it down here around midnight and beyond. Some booming cracks of thunder but no lightning. 13mm of rain dropped too, we will soon get everything topped up the way September is going! More to come this next week and beyond too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Just checked the rain gauge, we had as much rain lst night as we had for the whole of July!

A whopping 5mm.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Never really got going here for the second night in a row.

Posted
8 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Found it, just down the street from me,80 KA, highest I think I've seen this year in the UK is 30, that tells how powerful it was because I've had some loud thunder this year that came nowhere near even half of that's power.

Polish_20220906_001444407.thumb.png.49167fd30a4376df6aab908bd8eaf30e.png

Where do you get info from please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Radar already looking juicy towards the southwest this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

spacer.png

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 06 Sep 2022 - 05:59 UTC Wed 07 Sep 2022

ISSUED 07:27 UTC Tue 06 Sep 2022

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper low remains anchored to the west of Ireland, creating a widely unstable environment across the British Isles. A plume of steep mid-level lapse rates will cover N + NE England into S + SE Scotland, and so it is these regions that could yield some fairly active thunderstorms (potentially) with perhaps marginally-severe hail. Tentatively introduced a marginal MDT risk area where some CAM guidance suggests an active cluster may evolve through the afternoon and early evening, but it should be stressed confidence is much lower than compared with the MDT issued on Monday for example.

Elsewhere in the post-frontal environment with lower Theta-W than previous days, tall and skinny CAPE profiles, unstable also to SSTs, should aid numerous showers to develop, some heavy with sporadic lightning, but struggling to identify anything particularly well-organised given the lack of any strong forcing. Disparity between model guidance also lends to low confidence about the local detail during this forecast period, but given the widely unstable environment have reluctantly opted for a very broad-brush SLGT. There are hints a more organised cluster/area of showery rain may spread northeastwards during the afternoon and evening hours across central and southern Britain, but rather messy in appearance. A jet streak moving across northern France during the afternoon and evening will increase deep layer shear over central and southern Britain, and here 30-40kts could allow for cell organisation with the potential for a supercell if convection can remain fairly discrete.

Showers, and associated risk of lightning, will persist well into the night - especially in southern and western areas, but also potentially eastern Scotland and East Anglia / SE England.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
14 minutes ago, dave reid said:

Where do you get info from please

Meteologix it won't be entirely correct but it should be close enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Safe to say this September is sure making up for the poor summer. What a cracking past couple of days. Still a couple more to go out of this fantastic spell too. Some of the most epic pictures I’ve seen yet on this forum of storms in this country. 

Yes must admit some of the best pictures i have seen on this forum..amazing night ...even had 15mm of rain here. After the main activity passed it carried on raining for another hour or so with just the occasional flash and rumble  Lets hope areas further east had something...this forum last night was buzzing...great atmosphere and great storm loving community...btw..supacell..hope you are ok mate after last night...glad you got home safely...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
9 hours ago, Supacell said:

Not the best storm chase, for reasons I will come to.

Started my evening near to Bromyard watching pink lightning to the south as dusk fell. It soon became clear the core of this particular cell was going to slightly miss me so I headed a little west to the village of Bredenbury expecting to watch the storm roll in. However it moved in quickly and with such ferocity that I did not get much time to think. I ended up sheltering under some car garage as torrential rain, occasional lighting and winds I'd estimate at over 60mph raged through. I wasn't really getting much shelter as the rain was horizontal and coming in like a tidal wave.

Anyhow, I then chased the line of storms northwards towards Stourport. The lightning seemed to become a bit more prolific as i chased with some nice IC bolts. I eventually caught the storm up and it was a scary experience with visibility near zero in what I can only describe as an American style downburst. This is where my chase took a downward turn. In hindsight I should have stopped, but in my want to get ahead of the storm I carried on.

Due to my inability to see the road I ended up hitting the kerb hard and bust my tyre. I didn't actually see or feel any damage at first so continued chasing. There was a lot of flooding and some very deep flooding on the M5 slip road near Quinton. I actually thought my car was going to get stranded in it but I got through.

Eventually I came to stop at Rugby services to watch the line of storms move through. They were much weaker now though and produced only the odd flash and rumble alongside normal UK level heavy rain. When I began driving out of the services I realised I couldn't steer the car. Lo and behold totally flat tyre. I am now sitting waiting for the AA as I'm not hands on enough to change it myself.

What an experience!

Love your reports!

Last nights episode here was good for longevity.

What you might call an electrical storm I guess.

Lightning somewhere from dusk until 1am in the morning.

The thunder was distant for the most part but with an uptick in booms as the cell finally arrived on our doorstep between 11pm to midnight.( nothing overhead this time)

I'm giving it a 6/10 purely on lightning alone and the longevity,nothing overly frequent in one direction but seen at points South and Southeast of me much of the time.

As I said last night,like sitting outside on a warm Mediterranean night in September looking at the flashes go off on the African continent.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 5