IGNORED

What Did You Think of Summer 2022?

What Did You Think of Summer 2022?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How Was This Summer For You?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, Stargazer said:

On the whole an excellent summer, not quite a dream as we could have done with just a little more rain in July to stop everything turning into a dust bowl and reduce the fire risk (the perfect summer involves frequent barbecues, but we were concerned that the nearby vegetation was too dry). I think I slightly preferred the more balanced summer of 2013. Anyway, a lot better than the mediocre summer of 2021 here in the south.

Yes, summer 2013 was nice although the hot and sunny weather was mostly confined to July. 

I am quite a warm blooded person, so my ideal temperature range in summer is high teens or low 20’s. Anything higher is too hot for me. This summer had temperatures often above that, which is why I preferred the more temperate summer of 2021, which was still quite warm, dry and sunny (compared to average) up here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
41 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes, summer 2013 was nice although the hot and sunny weather was mostly confined to July. 

I am quite a warm blooded person, so my ideal temperature range in summer is high teens or low 20’s. Anything higher is too hot for me. This summer had temperatures often above that, which is why I preferred the more temperate summer of 2021, which was still quite warm, dry and sunny (compared to average) up here.

Whilst I like some hot weather during the summer, if sunshine levels were better then I'd be more than happy with a summer of average temps. These days though, when we get average temps during the summer it is often mostly cloudy or overcast. 21 Celsius in high summer when the sun is out feels very pleasant, but it doesn't seem to happen very often this days. 

You are very fortunate that you managed to get adequate sunshine during a summer of average temps in your neck of the woods.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

Its hard to rank this summer, its obviously right up there with some of the more legendary summers (the record alone means it deserves that spot) but it was a sunny, extremely dry and the 2nd half in particular was hot (finally a pretty hot August!) and with another 30 day period above 20c in the CET (indeed the 30 day mid month split just goes above 20c).

Thinking back in my lived memory (sadly 1995 doesn't count, even if I do just about remember it being very nice!) I think the really good summers are limited to 2003, 2006, 2013, 2018, 2020 and obviously 2022. 

2013 and 2020 both get in the list for their very warm monthly period (July for 2013 and the mid July-mid August period of 2020, particular the first 10-15 days of August) but they are certainly a level below the rest. I'd then probably put 2003 just above those as it was a little more consistent plus it had at the time the record breaking 38.5c which held for a while.

Which then takes me to what I view as the top 3, 2006, 2018 and 2022. Each were had 30 day spells above 20c in the CET and all three are very impressive summers. I'm hard pressed to split them, though I personally think the sheer consistency seen in 2018 perhaps trump the other two. 2006 was impressive but perhaps didn't last long enough to beat out 2018. 2022 was no doubt hotter in its extremes and was overall probably drier but it was no doubt more humid than most of the May-July 2018 period and was rock solid consistent once the pattern locked in, 2022 hotter spell had higher highs, but also did have cooler interludes within it vs 2018.

However I would place 2022 above 2006 and it is only just edged out by 2018 for me due to the consistently element of 2018.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
10 hours ago, kold weather said:

Its hard to rank this summer, its obviously right up there with some of the more legendary summers (the record alone means it deserves that spot) but it was a sunny, extremely dry and the 2nd half in particular was hot (finally a pretty hot August!) and with another 30 day period above 20c in the CET (indeed the 30 day mid month split just goes above 20c).

Thinking back in my lived memory (sadly 1995 doesn't count, even if I do just about remember it being very nice!) I think the really good summers are limited to 2003, 2006, 2013, 2018, 2020 and obviously 2022. 

2013 and 2020 both get in the list for their very warm monthly period (July for 2013 and the mid July-mid August period of 2020, particular the first 10-15 days of August) but they are certainly a level below the rest. I'd then probably put 2003 just above those as it was a little more consistent plus it had at the time the record breaking 38.5c which held for a while.

Which then takes me to what I view as the top 3, 2006, 2018 and 2022. Each were had 30 day spells above 20c in the CET and all three are very impressive summers. I'm hard pressed to split them, though I personally think the sheer consistency seen in 2018 perhaps trump the other two. 2006 was impressive but perhaps didn't last long enough to beat out 2018. 2022 was no doubt hotter in its extremes and was overall probably drier but it was no doubt more humid than most of the May-July 2018 period and was rock solid consistent once the pattern locked in, 2022 hotter spell had higher highs, but also did have cooler interludes within it vs 2018.

However I would place 2022 above 2006 and it is only just edged out by 2018 for me due to the consistently element of 2018.

I agree, although I think 2022 is very close to 2018 due to the exceptional August heat we had here.  34°C+ is exceptionally rare at home in South Wales and the gin blue skies were incredible.  This August was even better due to the lack of good August's in recent years (although the 2020s already have 2/3 decent Augusts).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Overall decent but not a spectacular summer with some intense moments, not great start but quickly improved.

Breaking the 100f barrier was unprecedented in July, and I remember it feeling so hot that the sun wasn't the hottest element but actually the wind feeling like a hair drier. Following night was unbearable. It was nice to have a Hot and dry August for a change.

There was lack of storms though, instead getting them in May, September especially and once in October.

Summer 2020 still takes the crown for thunderstorm frequency though, and 2018 for more warmth and dryness in recent summers.

• Like 1

Posted
On 23/11/2022 at 01:13, Metwatch said:

Overall decent but not a spectacular summer with some intense moments, not great start but quickly improved.

Breaking the 100f barrier was unprecedented in July, and I remember it feeling so hot that the sun wasn't the hottest element but actually the wind feeling like a hair drier. Following night was unbearable. It was nice to have a Hot and dry August for a change.

There was lack of storms though, instead getting them in May, September especially and once in October.

Summer 2020 still takes the crown for thunderstorm frequency though, and 2018 for more warmth and dryness in recent summers.

I think summer 2020 was a mixed one. Better than 2019, but not as good as 2018 or 2022, but miles better than 2021.

It started off well, but mid June was poor with lots of cloudier days, while the warm and sometimes hot sunny start, was basically a continuation of the long sunny dry period during the first lockdown.

The summer in the main was poor that year, with too many cloudy days in July, a hot and thundery first 2 weeks in august.

Some storms, but nothing noteworthy apart from some daytime rumbles in London during June, and another storm on the west of town during the early august hot spell.

Funny how I don’t rate the storms, as we had no night time ones, but do remember those daytime storms in the distance.

Most were localised I think.