Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Did You Think of Summer 2022?

What Did You Think of Summer 2022?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How Was This Summer For You?

Posted

One of the best ones I have lived through. Still prefer 2018 because the hot weather lasted longer and felt a lot less intense. During the August heatwave I was at a festival in Cornwall and the heat was relentless.

I’d give it a 9/10, one of the worst summers in living memory for storms however. 

On a side note 2021 wasn’t too bad here, just bang average. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 07/10/2022 at 23:22, Don said:

If the coming winter happens to be severe then yes.  However, I think that's unlikely, although no one knows what next season will bring!

There will be far more deaths this winter whether it is a severe winter or not. The office for national statistics revealed that there were 28,300 excess deaths in winter 2019/20, and that was a very mild winter. 8,500 died in cold homes alone that winter.

On 07/10/2022 at 16:44, markyo said:

Sorry you've lost me, i'm referring to summer deaths. This Winter could cause as many if bad, i don't understand your point at all. All extreme weather is deadly. It was the worst summer for excess deaths due to heat since 2004, that is not subjective, its fact.

My point was that even in a mild winter you get far more deaths than you do in a hot summer. I know that may be hard for some of the coldies on here to accept, but it is true.

18 hours ago, Summer18 said:

One of the best ones I have lived through. Still prefer 2018 because the hot weather lasted longer and felt a lot less intense. During the August heatwave I was at a festival in Cornwall and the heat was relentless.

I’d give it a 9/10, one of the worst summers in living memory for storms however. 

On a side note 2021 wasn’t too bad here, just bang average. 

Yes, in Summer 2018 the high pressure was much more prolonged but the wind was much more easterly rather than southerly like in a lot of recent summer, so the heat wasn't as intense, esspecially for eastern areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

My point was that even in a mild winter you get far more deaths than you do in a hot summer. I know that may be hard for some of the coldies on here to accept, but it is true.

You're missing the point again. The word is excess. ie more than would be expected in the relevant season. It's nothing to do with preference.  The fact is 2022 summer was the worst excess deaths in a summer season since 2003, so nearly 20years.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
On 07/10/2022 at 16:18, East Lancs Rain said:

A lot more lives will be lost this coming winter, with the energy crisis. Whether it was the “worst summer“ is completely subjective as a lot of people enjoyed it. Summer 2018 was hotter anyway.

Yeah it will be worse, even during a mild winter of 10c-13c, as more people will feel the cold even in these temps, compared to 25c plus temps and more people feeling uncomfortable in the heat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

For me, foreign! It felt like we were just too far south for even moisture and decent thunderstorms. A lot of us expected the 40c imminently - we've had a few years where upper thirties seems to be easily achievable, it was just a matter of time until a pattern set up that kept the heat building. We had a few weeks in 2018 I think it was thatveach time I stepped outside it felt like a dry furnace - this summer was just on steroids. I cant remember any nights that I couldn't sit outside with more than a t shirt on. Spent the days swimming in theblocal lake as I took a work break post divorce. Just a matter of time IMO until we have low to mid forties.  Amazing summer, we do need more storms though! 

• Like 1

Posted
On 09/10/2022 at 19:18, markyo said:

You're missing the point again. The word is excess. ie more than would be expected in the relevant season. It's nothing to do with preference.  The fact is 2022 summer was the worst excess deaths in a summer season since 2003, so nearly 20years.

No, I think summer 2018 had more heat related deaths, as it lasted longer. 

Yes, summer 2022 was a hot one and gave us the best August with high sunshine levels for many years. Probably the best August overall since 2013 and even further back than that would be 2003, 1995 and 1991.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

definitely the longest summer i can remember since living in Canada ..after a cool wet June and first week of July..the weather pattern changed around 8th July...since then it has been very warm and sometimes hot and also very sunny..we have still got temps into the low mid 20s even now in mid October

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

No, I think summer 2018 had more heat related deaths, as it lasted longer.

Not according to that BBC article.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I voted 'mediorce'. Not a fan of droughts, and there were no storms (May and Sept made up for it, but they're not summer). Many a wasted 'dry' breakdown through the summer, when we needed rain more than in many a year. Also, even though it's technically 'space weather', the NLC season was non-existent!

Edited by ResonantChannelThunder

Posted

What can I say, I hate hot weather, and to me anything over 22C is hot.

Our location is probably one of the coolest in mainland England, and we had multiple 25C+ days and 29C twice.

No decent storms

A drought.

Hopefully a blip, but I suspect the reality is different

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Nasty. Ridiculous and dangerously high temperatures, very uncomfortable, allotment productivity well down, but far more importantly, the suffering some people went through and the possibility that this could become far more frequent in the future means I cannot class this summer as anything but awful. Those who have orgasms over extreme and destructive weather may disagree but I think we should be looking at the bigger picture, not focusing so much on oneself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Slug

I enjoyed this summer, was good for my mental health being able to go out in dry warm weather and have fun by swimming in the sea, meeting lots of ladies and generally having a better time than i do in winter 😊

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, al78 said:

Nasty. Ridiculous and dangerously high temperatures, very uncomfortable, allotment productivity well down, but far more importantly, the suffering some people went through and the possibility that this could become far more frequent in the future means I cannot class this summer as anything but awful. Those who have orgasms over extreme and destructive weather may disagree but I think we should be looking at the bigger picture, not focusing so much on oneself.

I agree, we have just had one of the worst summers for decades, sadly a sign of things to come

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

I agree, we have just had one of the worst summers for decades, sadly a sign of things to come

It will become the new norm so we have to find happiness in the chaos so I’d say make the most of the med like summers to come.  I know as i get old i prefer warmth over cold anyday 

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, LightningFox92 said:

It will become the new norm so we have to find happiness in the chaos so I’d say make the most of the med like summers to come.  I know as i get old i prefer warmth over cold anyday 

I'll be moving further North to try and avoid the worst of that draining,uncomfortable misery then!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

I'll be moving further North to try and avoid the worst of that draining,uncomfortable misery then!

I’m no fan of severe heat myself, luckily in the sw it doesn’t get the extreme heat that the SE does which I’m thankful for.  Dry heat around 20-25C suits me well in sunshine ☀️ 

I might be heading north at some point so i may see you up there north of the wall 😆

Hadrians wall that is Could contain: Animal, Mammal

• Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, markyo said:

I've already started that process!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
16 hours ago, lassie23 said:

🔥🤮🥵

I take it just that little bit too hot for you? 😅

Get the impression overall quite a lot of you liked this Summer (also dependant on region as some of your further North wished it could have been sunnier). But for quite a few it could have done being cooler and with more storms. Lack of storms of which I did feel let this Summer down a little. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

I take it just that little bit too hot for you? 😅

Get the impression overall quite a lot of you liked this Summer (also dependant on region as some of your further North wished it could have been sunnier). But for quite a few it could have done being cooler and with more storms. Lack of storms of which I did feel let this Summer down a little. 

I did like it but the humidity in London and 40c heat here was pretty horrific. There were grass land fires nearby which meant the neighbourhood went all smoky and smelt of burning. But it was a great summer for being outside, soaking up the sun and for having BBQs.

• Like 2