Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
14 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

The only 'train' I'm on is the Moscow Express: as it now looks almost certain that we are in for a spell of mostly easterly-type weather -- whatever the Muscovites are enjoying today might very well arrive on our shores a week or so later? 👍

That is certainly possible. Can’t be ruled out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Don't see the point in getting stressed at the moment. FI is at T144-T168. The thing we need to look out for is how that Iberian low develops. If it is shallow, it reduces the chances of mild air coming up from the south and the block sinking over eastern Europe. Alternatively the low forms further east over Spain / Italy. The depth of the low wouldn't matter here.

Anything after that point is irrelevant and just for fun until this key detail is sorted.

It's when the wrong trends start to emerge that it becomes a worry as we've been there before many a time, especially in recent years!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 minutes ago, Don said:

It's when the wrong trends start to emerge that it becomes a worry as we've been there before many a time, especially in recent years!

Indeed, still early at this point though. Models in the later stages are good for picking up signals but they can easily be overreacting to them. It means a cold spell can just vanish but it can also work the other way.

It's when we get to around T96-T120 that the time for stress arises!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
5 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes the trend is your friend 🤔

Posted

Its interesting to see that there is more scatter in the ensembles between the 5th and 7th December than after this date which has more emphasis on a colder option. I am guessing this is to do with the position of the Iberian low position and strength, however over all i am happy with the ensembles, especially moving into the second week of December. Just my thoughts....

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Johnp said:

Sorry to go on about this but I find it incredible that all week people have been favouring the para when it was showing the best outcomes (“it’s going live in a few days” etc). 
It’s been showing a horror show for the last few runs and now it’s ignored. 

Horror show?  You must be new to this. In recent years these charts from the para would have coldies excited !

Could contain:

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

GFS ensembles are rather uninspiring.  Cold, windy and grey.

Could contain: Line Chart, Chart, QR Code

To be honest with early winter, I'd take that. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
21 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

I understand your concerns Don good man,but we can't base every Winter season on past failings..I don't really think the weather sets us up to fail on purpose,it's just the way it rolls. What I think is some of us on here expect to see something of unreal proportions and expect every operational run to bring 100% satisfaction,and nothing in life will ever bring this...even the best professionals at there chosen event will make a mess and have you wondering if they really are an expert! 

I would say though that the current situation looks good...only problem is some want it to look perfect,then expect it to stay perfect with each and every run. What looks good today may look bad tomorrow,and vica versa.

Good point. It just seems unrealistic for each and every run to be spot on. Sometimes, a model could throw out the most perfect outlook ever, but there’s always chances it gets watered down on the next run or so. So not a bad thing if the models aren’t always churning out appetising triple chocolate cake-esque runs. 

When you think about it, Northern blocking and bitterly cold Easterly or North-Easterly winds isn’t something that’s common at all during UK Winters. I think reminding ourselves of this can hopefully help to keep down some of our expectations. When blocking to the North of the UK does happen, it then, depending on a persons weather preferences, feels more magical. Especially also if it leads to snow and very cold conditions.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

I suppose it’s worth noting that the 00z GFS & ECM runs were quite a way short of the ensemble means for heights over Greenland 10 days from now. GFS 06z much more representative.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Although I must say, GEFS has moved away from the West-based -NAO a bit again. Perhaps the pendulum swings back.
It is actually very difficult to find ensemble members that really are terrible! Good sign IMO.

I can find 7 out of 20 by day 16. There are only a couple at day 13 so that tells a story too 

tbh, I’m not a fan of looking at individual ens members in week 2 - they don’t have the sensitivity for that 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I can find 7 out of 20 by day 16. There are only a couple at day 13 so that tells a story too 

tbh, I’m not a fan of looking at individual ens members in week 2 - they don’t have the sensitivity for that 

Me neither, I generally don't post those, since an ensemble should be viewed as a whole, but I did so now to illustrate the other side of the wide envelope.

Edited by Paul
Removed quote and response to a post which had already been removed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2