Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Seems like as good a time as any for posting the latest GEFS temp. ensembles:

Could contain: Plot, Chart    Could contain: Chart, Plot

It's still a bit touch-and-go with snow potential, but it could be worse!👍 

Edited by Paul
I've not actually edited your post Ed, I'm just testing the messaging system!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A precursor to a SSW possibly later into Dec. Would be typical of our luck that it takes a Month to get a proper cold flow established, only for the whole thing to be shuffled up with a QRSSW.

Still, it’s nice to have a Ticket in the British Winter draw even if it does turn out to be a duffer👍

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Aaah, the Grail of Greenland, however we all know 11 days is way too much time for changes as Christmas '21 taught us, HP can retrogress too far North sometimes, so feet firmly on ground. I recall last December GFS continuously forecasting required cut off lows, 6+ days out for other models having none of them, ending in dry benign periods bar the storms

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Disk, Art, Hurricane, Storm

• Like 5

Posted

First foray into the season for me - work & football have kept me at arms length but it's now too interesting to stay quiet. I don't have much to add beyond the general optimism that's been shared. That being said, us seasoned folk know that if there's a way for it to go wrong it will so we need to keep grounded. There seem to be two challenges to look out for as this pattern develops - first is the uppers once the cold is established (and as others have said, getting the cold pattern in place is what is most important in the short term), the second is ensuring the emerging Azores low signal doesn't drag the medium term pattern into a west-based -NAO. That's hit us hard a few times I recall. My instinct is that if this materialises the first 'wave' will be a relatively benign Easterly-type event that pegs back temperatures a bit towards or just below average (and will annoy people in here), but which sets up a broader pattern that is much more conducive to prolonged cold and snowy weather. As always, patience is a virtue in this game. Luckily for you guys, I'm off to Israel or a week at the start of December which, knowing my weather luck, will probably seal the deal for you all! 

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 8

Posted

Looking quickly at the London ECM ensemble from the 00z. The heatmap gives a pretty clear indication that the colder options grow as we get into December. But, the spread, even within the 90th percentile (which should discount the outliers on each end of the scale), shows the uncertainty that persists.

Could contain: Heat Map, Chart Could contain: Chart

Then, throw in all the other models and it's a similar picture - a colder trend looks likely, but how cold is not even close to being clear. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Water

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Day 7 and the ICONs latest run looks more blocky to our north. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

12z icon ...Blocking more dominant 

0z Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature 12z Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

0z  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature 12z Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 4

Posted

The Icon, as the case with a lot of models shows a very blocked and very messy evolution this evening. It's getting clearer that the first attack is not going to be cold enough but that retrogession could finally bring some proper cold. Anything worthwhile remains 10 days plus, BUT consistency on better aligned block is showing on every run!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

12z icon ...Blocking more dominant 

0z iconnh-0-150.png 12z iconnh-0-138.png?12

0z  iconnh-0-159.png 12z iconnh-0-147.png?12

iconnh-0-180.png?12

Another run showing the low pressure of the iberian coast.. wafting up milder air into the mix...

I guess that's where the jet is heading and stalling..... so although we could do without it.. I'm not how without introducing pressure on the blocking from the jet.

• Like 1

Posted

Icon is a move in the right direction. For those newbies watching and participating in this early season fun, I'd say that essentially anything within the next week and slightly beyond should be looked at as building blocks, getting the pieces of the puzzle into place...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Another run showing the low pressure of the iberian coast.. wafting up milder air into the mix...

I guess that's where the jet is heading and stalling..... so although we could do without it.. I'm not how without introducing pressure on the blocking from the jet.

Ain't nothing mild there, nice cold buildup to the east and that mega cold to the north 😉

animrwg2.thumb.gif.e1c02663069ffe8165f53b1bfbed7df6.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Someone had to go and tout the possibility of a ‘west-based negative NAO’.  Of all the winter model watch jargon, this is the one I hate the most!  The ‘oh so nearly’, the ‘defeat from the jaws of victory’, this joyless phrase should be expunged from the netweather dictionary…

I don’t think there is any reason for such negativity, in my experience, such an outcome does occur, but not from the position we are now in with such a huge signal for blocking.  

👍👍👏👏

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Great sister lobe  seperation once again reasonably early stages.. And that Pacific ridge “could NOT be better placed in sync.. it’s something that certainly scuppered last Decembers possible dripping/ cold NW Europe : uk outbreak !!.. we are in good hands 🤘🤘- the vortex looks in an impossible position- going forward 

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Plot, Chart, Nature

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 9